Power policy

I have a notebook running Win XP SP2. When I set a power scheme as
Administrator, does that apply to the whole macine or only to the
machine when Administrator is the current user?

I've defined a power scheme as administrator and made it active,
then logged off as Admin and logged on as a limited user. The
limited user brings up Power in Control Panel but (1) the power
scheme I created as administrator isn't shown and (2) when I try to
select one of thexisting power schemes I get "access denied".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
3 answers Last reply
More about power policy

    I faced this same problem a while back. I don't have time to verify all of
    my comments but I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

    From an admin account, use the control panel to configure the power policy
    that you want to employ in the limited account. Save it with a name. Now
    open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
    Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies. In my XP I see keys 0-5 (the built-in
    policies), and another one that represents the custom policy that I made
    from the control panel (click on the keys in the left pane and the right
    pane will show what they are).

    Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
    Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\YourNewPolicyKey to a convenient folder.

    Import your new key into the appropriate user within HKEY_USERS.

    Now change HKEY_USERS\<Your Selected User Key>\Control Panel\PowerCfg data
    value to the number that corresponds to your new policy.

    Exit regedit, restart.

    Like I said, it's been a while since I did this to mine. What I've written
    here is my best recollection. Either this or something very similar works
    great on my machine. Be sure to export a backup copy of the keys before you
    operate on them.

    "Jon" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >I faced this same problem a while back. I don't have time to verify all of
    >my comments but I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

    [Then go into the registry to apply the scheme to the limited
    user.]

    Hmm ... sneaky enough that it just might work! :-)

    But still I'm confused/ If power schemes are per user, as they
    evidently are, then why won't XP let me modify the power scheme
    when I'm logged in as a non-admin user?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    I requested help because when running as limited user I could
    neither create a power scheme nor select any of the power schemes I
    had created as administrator.

    Win XP Pro SP2, an Acer TravelMate 4504 notebook

    On 20 Mar 2005, "Jon" <zett0004@umn.edu> posted:
    >I faced this same problem a while back. I don't have time to verify all of
    >my comments but I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

    >From an admin account, use the control panel to configure the power policy
    >that you want to employ in the limited account. Save it with a name. Now
    >open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
    >Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies. In my XP I see keys 0-5 (the built-in
    >policies), and another one that represents the custom policy that I made
    >from the control panel (click on the keys in the left pane and the right
    >pane will show what they are).

    >Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
    >Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\YourNewPolicyKey to a convenient folder.

    >Import your new key into the appropriate user within HKEY_USERS.

    >Now change HKEY_USERS\<Your Selected User Key>\Control Panel\PowerCfg data
    >value to the number that corresponds to your new policy.

    >Exit regedit, restart.

    >Like I said, it's been a while since I did this to mine. What I've written
    >here is my best recollection. Either this or something very similar works
    >great on my machine. Be sure to export a backup copy of the keys before you
    >operate on them.

    Belated thanks, Jon. I tend to put off things that involve bouncing
    back and forth between Admin and limited user but today I
    implemented your solution and it works fine ... up to a point.

    The screen blanking now seems to happen when desired, but Standby
    and Hibernate don't. (I can standby or hibernate manually with no
    problem.) After some gogling I believe the problem may be that
    Symantec Antivirus is running a background scan and this prevents
    the Standby or Hibernate timer from recognizing a large enough
    period of inactivity.

    Does that sound right? (If so, it's yet another way that PoS
    messes up my system, yet my college requires it as a condition of
    connecting to the network.)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Configuration Policy Power Customization Windows XP