Should I go with Ivy Bridge or Wait for Haswell?

I am planning to build a gaming PC for around $2,000 in the early to middle part of next year. I have been reading about the Haswell from various sources. Some say it is worth the waiting for PC gamers while others say it is not. The main story that I have heard is that Haswell is focused on lower power consumption Should I go with Ivy Bridge or wait for Haswell?
5 answers Last reply
More about should bridge wait haswell
  1. Yeah, if you are not going to build it until next year then you might as well wait for Haswell unless you need to wait more than 6 month and that money is burning a hole in your pocket.
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

The Haswell will only have about 10% more processing power. Not enough to wait for especially since it will cost a premium for a few months. The internal graphics will be doubled in power, but still not enough for serious gaming. In short, don't wait for it.
  3. No. I went Ivy and I won't consider upgrading until Broadwell and that is a big maybe. Intel won't increase raw grunt for 2 simple reasons:

- No competition. No point.
    - Nothing really need a big CPU speed boost. When the next console gen finally comes out four modern cores (and maybe more) will be it. Ivy fits that, any improvements are meh for a long while.

If you buy Ivy now you are set for at least two years. Its very unlikely that will change.
  4. I was able to grab a i7-3770k for $229 and the poster is right, when Haswell comes out, you'll pay a premium price for at least 6 months. I'm skipping over Haswell.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Power Consumption Build Product