Sign in with
Your question

Should I go with Ivy Bridge or Wait for Haswell?

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2012 3:30:35 PM

I am planning to build a gaming PC for around $2,000 in the early to middle part of next year. I have been reading about the Haswell from various sources. Some say it is worth the waiting for PC gamers while others say it is not. The main story that I have heard is that Haswell is focused on lower power consumption Should I go with Ivy Bridge or wait for Haswell?
a c 473 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 21, 2012 10:24:30 PM

Yeah, if you are not going to build it until next year then you might as well wait for Haswell unless you need to wait more than 6 month and that money is burning a hole in your pocket.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 22, 2012 2:11:24 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

The Haswell will only have about 10% more processing power. Not enough to wait for especially since it will cost a premium for a few months. The internal graphics will be doubled in power, but still not enough for serious gaming. In short, don't wait for it.
m
l
November 22, 2012 3:21:37 AM

No. I went Ivy and I won't consider upgrading until Broadwell and that is a big maybe. Intel won't increase raw grunt for 2 simple reasons:

- No competition. No point.
- Nothing really need a big CPU speed boost. When the next console gen finally comes out four modern cores (and maybe more) will be it. Ivy fits that, any improvements are meh for a long while.

If you buy Ivy now you are set for at least two years. Its very unlikely that will change.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:49:09 PM

I was able to grab a i7-3770k for $229 and the poster is right, when Haswell comes out, you'll pay a premium price for at least 6 months. I'm skipping over Haswell.
m
l
!