My screen OR my graphic card?

G

Hello,
When i turn on my PC obviously i turn on my screen.... but the screen turns on for 0,5 sec and all ok for this 0,5 sec... :S and then goes BLACK again... i turn on again and again until it turns on for ever... :/ every day this problem.... Almost 20 minutes problem every day.... PLZ HELP.....

randomkid

Distinguished
When you say turn on for ever, you mean stay on & you can use your PC?
and your problem is that it takes you 20 minutes of pressing the on button repeatedly before your PC will stay on & can be used?

G

Yes i mean stay on & use my computer... i just turn on my screen ... in 0,5 sec it goes BLACK... then i turn off and then again On.... again again... for many minutes... and after sometime it Goes OK.... and i use.... its no connection problems (of screen) i dont know... my screen is LG FLATRON L1739S (pretty good)..... First time i see this problem..... One guy of mine says that the problem is the screen.. but i dont think SO... :/ IDK

G

U mean open my computer case? and which capacitors? my pc obviously has 10000 capacitors... where is PCB? U said

"check the Capacitors on the PCB's for bloated tops or brown spilling. "
CAnt understand cause my english are not so good...:/

sinsa

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
i am talking about your screen/monitor/display.

sometimes displays capacitors can leak/pop and cause the problem you are describing. you will need to unplug your monitor, take off the case and check on ALL the green 'boards' for bad capacitors.

if you are uncomfortable finding these, or do not know how to use a soldering iron, then i suggest simply buying a new one - as i imagine servicing it at a repair center will probably cost more. if however you are 'handy' you should be able to fix it for ~$5.

its hard to see what your problem is as you havent described it in much detail though, this is just ONE of the possibles.

randomkid

Distinguished

A monitor has no user serviceable part. It should be brought to a service center. But let's not go straight to that route. The monitor is least likely to cause such kind of trouble.

@johnescape:
How old is your computer & what are the components:
processor
motherboard
power supply
graphics card

This information will help single out which could be the cause of the instability.

sinsa

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

that is certainly one way to look at it - however - i have 'serviced' a number of monitor's which have shown similar symptoms. all of which [with the new capacitors in place] function great till this day :)

as i said, if he isn't comfortable with a soldering iron, this is not for him, but if he wants to try to salvage a dead monitor by replacing $5 worth of capacitors he can give it a go.

honestly it doesnt take much effort to take the back panel off the monitor and check for bloaters - but this is obviously the step to take after you are sure you are having no PC hardware, connection and driver issues.

G

Thank you man i'll do my best...

sinsa

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
as both me and randomkid have said, it is best to be sure that its not a computer hardware, connection or software/driver problem first before taking your monitor apart.

if possible - check the monitor on another pc, graphics card, built in graphics port etc. first.

here is a couple pictures of a blown capacitors for reference.
http://www.techmetric.net/images/blowncap.jpg
http://www.ccl-la.com/badcap.jpg

let me know what you find and ill recommend a fix.