Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are $30 sound cards better than integrated audio?

Last response: in Components
November 21, 2012 7:20:44 PM

Is something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

worth buying to get better quality audio than the integrated audio? My sister has these great bose headphones, but she only plays music through her ipod or computer, and i know better sound quality can be had. Thanks!
November 21, 2012 7:34:30 PM

not really.
m
l
November 21, 2012 7:35:37 PM

Hi :) 

Just...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 21, 2012 7:56:37 PM

it depends on your headphones. I have that soundcard and I use it through a pair of Sennheiser HD25 SPs, which have a high impedance/ohms rating.
this means that there is more 'resistance' when the electronic signal is going through the headphone, and you can loose clarity if you're listening to a weak source (such as a small mp3 player). I found that with my headphones I could definitely tell a difference between using an ipod or phone and using my PC with soundcard (with the headphone amp enabled). this is me though, and your headphones will behave differently.

unless you are using headphones which benefit from an amp (from what I've HEARD they typically are 35+ ohms) then I'm not sure a soundcard would benefit you.
November 21, 2012 8:19:55 PM

jwk3 said:
it depends on your headphones. I have that soundcard and I use it through a pair of Sennheiser HD25 SPs, which have a high impedance/ohms rating.
this means that there is more 'resistance' when the electronic signal is going through the headphone, and you can loose clarity if you're listening to a weak source (such as a small mp3 player). I found that with my headphones I could definitely tell a difference between using an ipod or phone and using my PC with soundcard (with the headphone amp enabled). this is me though, and your headphones will behave differently.

unless you are using headphones which benefit from an amp (from what I've HEARD they typically are 35+ ohms) then I'm not sure a soundcard would benefit you.

+1 to headphone amp

im only using a little cheap one but it makes a big difference

m
l
November 21, 2012 9:33:29 PM

I think they are the Bose Triport old version, and i think they are 32 ohms. would you get a soundcard for it you think? idk, just curious.
m
l
November 21, 2012 9:37:48 PM

its not worth the money unless you want to spend $100 because the quality difference between a cheap sound card and the integrated sound in the motherboard is not much.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:22:48 AM

Best answer selected by Augray37.
m
l
!