July 11, 2012 10:12:32 AM

My current set-up includes the following;
i5-3550
Gigabyte GA-z77-D3H
EVGA GTX 670
Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ bronze
Ripjaws X Series 8gig
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm

Now I'm having a hard time choosing what my first upgrade will be, and right now I'm stuck between two options which are as follows;

Option 1 (more expensive/more components):
-Asus Sabertooth Z77
-i5 3570K (will O'C to about 4.5ghz)
-Noctua NH-D14
-Corsair Force GT 90gb (for caching)

Option 2:
-Second GTX 670 for SLI
-Probably a 750/800W PSU (current 620W might not be enough for SLI)

Basically I'm stuck between these 2 options because I don't know which will give me the best overall performance boost. I feel as though I will get a lot out of upgrading to SLI'd 670s, but I also feel like my i5-3550 might bottleneck the performance upgrade I would get out of SLI. But, I also feel like getting a much nicer MOBO and overclocking a CPU would give me a good performance upgrade as well, and an SSD would make my overall experience much smoother.

Eventually I will likely end up getting all of these components, though it will probably be a few months between the first and second. So, essentially, I'm just wondering which would be the most logical upgrade to make first. Thank you.

More about : upgrade

Best solution

July 11, 2012 10:48:46 AM

the 3550 won't bottleneck SLI'ed 670s significantly, but your motherboard will! It has a single PCIe 3.0 slot at x16, and a single PCIe 2.0 slot at x4. I recommend against SLI without a different motherboard

in terms of what you see, SLI won't make any difference at all, you already exceed 60fps in ey improvement very game on the market. changing CPU from 3550 to 3550K is an improvement, but IMHO not worth it. I don't change CPUs unless I'm getting a generational level improvement

the only significant improvement would be an SSD
July 11, 2012 11:33:14 AM

i dont see the point of upgrading at all

caching only works with SSDs that are under 64gb.

to get a bit more performance, set up the hard drive in AHCI mode
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 11:46:58 AM

I don't see the point either. SLI 670 is the only worthwhile choice.

EDIT yeah or an SSD but not for caching
m
l
July 11, 2012 11:47:40 AM

So what I'm understanding is that I should wait until the next gen. of processors before I upgrade to an unlocked model, then perhaps at the same time buy a new/better mobo and then MAYBE after that buy a second 670 or maybe a single 7xx if it's worth it. Sounds fine to me. Maybe I'll get the SSD sooner than later though.

Thank you everyone.
m
l
July 11, 2012 11:48:39 AM

Best answer selected by nodoubtgenius.
m
l
!