Weird static sound after swapping fans

zucram

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hey!
I swapped out a couple of fans today and noticed a very weird thing when everything was closed back up together. Whenever sound plays from the computer the music or sound comes with alot of static and crackling noises. Sometimes the music aslo stutters or slows down and then speds up. This applies to both the onboard audio card and the usb audio card i have for my vengeance 2000 headset. I have absolutley no idea why this is!

Please help me!

/Marcus

cmi86

Distinguished
My first guess is that your PSU is not sufficient for the new fans. 2nd guess is a faulty fan. Are you using any fan headers that were not previously used ? Also make sure that the power wires for the fans are not pinched and contacting the motherboard

zucram

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hi! Thanks for a quick reply!
I thought about that myself, so i unplugged the fans one by one but the static continued, even tried a restart with just the two cpu fans running.

To give u an idea of my system.

I7 960
Silver Power SP-SS620M 620W PSU
Antec Kuhler H2O 920 (I swapped the two original fans for two Cougar Vortex 120mm, PWM CF-V12HP)
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX
I also put in an extra Thermalright TY 141 in the front and have two stock 140 mm fans in the top. For the thermalright i had to use an extensioncord so that it would still reach the pin on the motherboard.

I really have no clue what to do? Should i try a complete system restore?

zucram

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I thought about this too, but the sound is weird no matter if i use the onboard card in the back, the front jack (which is the same audio card) and if i use the USB audio card for my headphones.... So it doesn't look like its the card thats the problem...

zucram

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
i think i've narrowed it down a little (very little). It seems as though when i turn on the computer after it being turned of for a long time, or the power cord have been unplugged, the noise is very faint or almost not there at all. Then, after playing audio for a while the static "builds" and get stronger and stronger...

Anyone know what this could mean?

maxss81

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Sounds like a static buildup not grounding properly. May have nothing to do with the fans at this point since you've already disconnected them. Look for any screws that are not properly in.

Here is another option that plagued one of my customers with the same thing. Get an electrical outlet tester, and make sure your ground is still good. could be your surge protector is going out, as they do start to fail after a while.

There could be a number of things that could be either slightly shorting out or not grounding right inside your computer or whatever is connected to it.