Home server upgrade: AMD or Intel (low end)

I've had a home server that's been running remarkably well, considering the loads I put on it. But I think it's time to upgrade, as software updates seem to have made it a little slow, there are limitations such as the number of SATA ports and external connectivity - and there is the nagging worry that the components are near the end of their lifetime(s).

Conditions for the upgrade:
Must come to a grand total of less than £120
Motherboard must be micro-ATX (or less I suppose)
Motherboard must be either eSATA or USB3 (preferably eSATA) compatible, as I would probably, in the future, want to get an external backup drive.

Useful considerations:
The server runs 24/7, running Apache with a few PHP/MySQL websites, samba file server, public Minecraft server
Power consumption is a major concern. If at all possible, I would not like to raise this. Electric prices can only go up in the long run, and I've measured it to use 50-60W on average as it is now.
Graphics is, as you would imagine, not of interest. I do of course need basic integrated graphics in order to run a console for maintenance (server's headless when operational).
Gigabit Ethernet would be very nice for a future in which I have a gigabit capable router.

The current components, with those to be upgraded in bold, are:

CPU: AMD Athlon 1600-LE (single core, 2.2GHz) [surprised it doesn't grind to a halt at times]
2 answers Last reply
More about home server upgrade intel
  1. If you can find the G530 it'll be even cheaper and work very well for a server. The G530 will consume less power and throw less heat than the AMD setup.
  2. Dougie Fresh said:
    If you can find the G530 it'll be even cheaper and work very well for a server. The G530 will consume less power and throw less heat than the AMD setup.

Ah, and it's only £34.90 from Amazon. Actually, looking through all the different CPUs, it seem a surprise that AMD isn't bankrupt.

This means I can afford 8GB of corsair RAM and still be under the £120 limit. Thanks for the suggestion!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Servers Systems