Intel Management Engine 5M vs. 1.5M

geok

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I'm trying to download the drivers and software necessary for the Intel Management Engine. Intel (and others) refer to two different versions of this, specifically "5M" and "1.5M". I've seen it written 5Mb and 1.5Mb some places, and Station Drivers writes it 5Mo and 1.5Mo, but I think that's just the French abbreviation. Of course, I don't know what the abbreviation is even for! :pt1cable:

The problem is, I cannot find A SINGLE reference explaining what the difference is! I've searched multiple times, using as many different search terms as I can think of, but I nothing I've received back is of use.

Please note, I haven't yet built this system. I'm gathering up all of the updated software and drivers I need, prior to putting it together.

It's likely that MEI won't even be of use to me in a home setting, but I would STILL like to know what the difference is, and how I can figure out which one is the right one for me!

This system has an ASUS P8Z77-V Premium mobo with a Core i7-3770K CPU. I'll probably be installing Windows 7 x64 Ultimate at first, but am planning to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro x64 in the near future.

Thanks for your help! :)

odiebugs

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Yes, it is 1.5 MB and 5.0 MB. The 1.5 is a consumer grade and the 5.0 is corporate system. It is important to install the correct one, but I'm not sure why you're asking, because you have a Asus and they have a good download page with the correct driver for your board. You are also correct that unless you connect to your Motherboard with IT tools made for use with MEI remotely, this is useless and does not need to be installed.

You can get the - "ME Analyzer v1.3.7", which is the Intel Engine Firmware Analysis Tool which will give anyone detailed info on the MEI, this is needed for firmware updating as it is very specific to the version, where as drivers are not in a sense of series. The 11 series driver works from 6 series up, but you can't use the 11 series firmware if you have a 9 series MEI.