Sign in with
Your question

New Upgrade advice for HomeBuilt system

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2012 12:47:44 PM

Hi All!

Less than a year ago I built myself a decent desktop, my first build actually. (specs given below). I am now looking for a possible upgrade for its components. Need help with the best possible upgrade advice. Or is it better to wait for a few more months? Completely happy with the current performance but just got bitten by the upgrade bug :D  Btw, Multimonitor is not a possibility due to limited desk space and other constraints :cry: 

Current Specs:

CPU: Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHZ
MOBO: Asus P8Z68 V-PRO
RAM: Vengeance DDR3 16GB 1600mhz
GPU: MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
PSU: Corsair GS800
CASE: Cooler master 690 II Advanced
Storage: 1x WD 2TB 7200rpm, 1x Seagate 7200.12 2TB, 1x Seagate 500 GB
Monitor: Viewsonic VP2365-LED

Definitely not looking at liquid cooling since it is out of budget and I am stuck with a corsair H80. I know ssd is a good upgrade but prices seem to be falling rapidly and with possible discounts in a few more months, I would prefer to hold the ssd purchase.

The large amount of storage goes for my photography and video-editing. Other use for this computer is to learn and practice 3D animation (self-taught) in Maya, 3dSmax and Google Sketchup and also work in AUTOCAD/Revit.
Finally play games at 1920X1080 - BF3, Max payne 3, FIFA 2012, crysis series, mass effect, Kingdoms of amalur, witcher, assassins creed, etc.

Any suggestions/recommendations will be of great help!!

Thanks for your inputs :??: 

More about : upgrade advice homebuilt system

a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 1:40:02 PM

SSD seems like the only thing to upgrade.
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:07:15 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with Finneous; There isn't much to upgrade short of an SSD or adding another GTX 580 for SLI. I'd highly recommend an SSD, though. Once you use one, you won't want to go back.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 3:56:53 PM

SSD for sure as suggested. Only other thing I might recommend, and it's not really an upgrade, more of a software specific device would be a firepro video card. You won't use it for games and such but for your autocad and 3D rendering it is specifically built to give you the exact lines and performance used with this type of software, instead of the speed (FPS) required for gaming. If you do a little research into the differences betweem gaming and autocad and 3D software you'll see what I'm getting at. Of course you will have to change out the video cards or change it to the primary device when you want to do this but it's not usually much of a hassle. Just a simple card like this HP FirePro V4800 ATi PCIe, new on ebay for only $125.
m
l
!