quark004

Honorable
May 18, 2012
hey guys just had some doubt over the overclock of my sapphire 6950 card.
i am running it at 910/1325 mhz and the temperature of core and vrm are within the acceptable limits(core<80/vrm<70). I have over volted the card at 1.187 mV. Is it OK to run the card for long periods of gaming(2-3 hrs) at this settings ?

quark004

Honorable
May 18, 2012
That is very reassuring. I have tried higher overclocks also something like 950/1325 at voltage of 1.27 mainly for bf3. I could not go at higher clock speeds for memory. It just crashes. Why is there a risk of running the card at higher volts even if the temperatures are within the acceptable limits ?

Well the main risk with overclocking anything is that electro migration will cause damage to the product.

Here is some very in depth information about electro migration if your interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Basically too much heat will cause damage via electro migration but so will excessive voltage. Lower temps will allow you to increase the voltage more so, that's why people that use LN2 can get away with using extreme voltages.