Faulty RAM chip symptom ?

G

Hi,

I have bought a brand new computer (ASUS A7V133, Athlon 1.2 Ghz, ASUS V7700 GeForce2 DDR GTS, Creative SB Live! Value, Windows ME, 512 Mb RAM)

I'm having problems with games, I cannot play any 3D games without having the game FREEZE/Lock Up. I then have to RESET the computer. What is strange, is that the game music normally continues to play (looping)

I have tried the graphics card in another computer (Duron 700 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM, Microstar Motherboard, AC97 audio) and it never crashed.

I have reinstalled the latest VIA drivers, sound card drivers, directx, reformatted and reinstalled win Me, to no avail. I ended up sending the PC for repair. The techs could reproduce the problem, they have the PC since 10 days now. They said they tried replacing the RAM and that the problem sems to be gone (It ran 3D Mark 2001 for a whole day, normally, it crashed after 5-10 minutes)

I tend to think that RAM related crashed would not just occur in 3D games ? Could it really be a RAM problem or should I tell them to further investigate ? It's been the 2nd time that I have to send the PC for repair in 1 month (The Mobo crahsed after 1 week)

I'm beginning to think that I should have bought a DELL with an INTEL CPU instead of a clone.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
The techs could reproduce the problem, they have the PC since 10 days now. They said they tried replacing the RAM and that the problem sems to be gone (It ran 3D Mark 2001 for a whole day, normally, it crashed after 5-10 minutes)
Well, if replacing the RAM fixes the problem... then the problem probably is the RAM ;)

More seriously, RAM problems are sometimes *very* strange and non-linear. Probably only 3D games were pushing the RAM (well, using it up), but it is strange.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise