Show ".lnk" in explorer

(Apologies for the double post. I just found this newsgroup after posting to
the help and support group. Seems like the better place to be.)

No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except Type=Shortcut), so I
found and implemented a registry edit to always display the ".lnk." Worked
fine, too. But having second thoughts, as now all the shortcuts on my
desktop include .lnk and renaming them does irreparable damage.

Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe eldergeek.com. Does
anyone have a lead on this?

rs

Hi,

The following page has the 'undo' to the show .lnk extension tweak. Just scroll down the page and
download the edits.

http://www.regxplor.com/tweak3.html

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
www.dts-l.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"tcebob" <handle @ gwi.net> wrote in message news:OVE0gSXLFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> (Apologies for the double post. I just found this newsgroup after posting to
> the help and support group. Seems like the better place to be.)
>
> No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except Type=Shortcut), so I
> found and implemented a registry edit to always display the ".lnk." Worked
> fine, too. But having second thoughts, as now all the shortcuts on my
> desktop include .lnk and renaming them does irreparable damage.
>
> Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe eldergeek.com. Does
> anyone have a lead on this?
>
> rs

Thank you!

rs

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: The following page has the 'undo' to the show .lnk extension tweak. Just
scroll down the page and
: download the edits.
:
: http://www.regxplor.com/tweak3.html
:
: --
:
: Anando
: Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
: http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
: http://www.mvps.org
:
: Alex Nichol-The most intelligent MVP I knew
: www.dts-l.org
:
: Folder customizations
: http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
:
: Protect your PC!
: http://www.microsoft.com/protect
:
:
: "tcebob" <handle @ gwi.net> wrote in message
: > (Apologies for the double post. I just found this newsgroup after
posting to
: > the help and support group. Seems like the better place to be.)
: >
: > No way to distinguish shortcuts from .exe files (except Type=Shortcut),
so I
: > found and implemented a registry edit to always display the ".lnk."
Worked
: > fine, too. But having second thoughts, as now all the shortcuts on my
: > desktop include .lnk and renaming them does irreparable damage.
: >
: > Unfortunately I did not save the url for the edit. Maybe eldergeek.com.
Does
: > anyone have a lead on this?
: >
: > rs