GeForce 570...working terribly PLZ HELP

dionb

Honorable
May 18, 2012
When ever I play games i am getting an extremely distorted image. There are odd polygons and lines on the screen that flicker on and off. I have no idea what is making this happen. The only upgrade i have done recently is changed out my old Geforce 9800 card for the new 570. This problem also happens with any internet browser (I've tried IE, Firefox and Google Chrome) With the browsers the edges, particularly near the Minimize, Maximize, Close Window part int he upper right corner becomes heavily distorted, however when I move my mouse over the distorted image it immediately goes back to normal. I have enclosed the following video of me trying to play a game, I am getting 60 FPS so performance isn't' an issue but rather the distorted graphics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5bPhtKiZ4s&feature=youtu.be

I have a Dell XPS 720 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps720/en/OM_EN/appendix.htm#wp1057811

The basic specs are:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
4gb ram
GeForce 570
Running Windows 7 (32 bit)

I was running 64 bit and thought that may be the cause of my problem and rebooted to the 32 bit to see if that helped... it did not. This problem happens with EVERY game I play from Age of Empires III to SWTOR. However, when I'm watching a video (either on DVD or from the internet) the picture quality is perfect.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Power supply could very well be a problem. Did you get the latest drivers? Have you tried any overclocking? You're getting what is called "artifacting". It usually happens when a graphics card doesn't have stable clock settings.

dionb

Honorable
May 18, 2012
My Power supply is 1000w...do you think the power supply is bad? I've had the computer for around 5 years now.
I have the latest drivers
I have made no attempt at overclocking my card

Thank you for identifying what the problem is

The temp of the card is currently 43C after running games for about 2 hours

Dell PSU's are usually pretty good, however the PSU could be faulty.

Are you able to try the graphics card in another PC?

dionb

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I don't have the ability to try it in another PC, however i still have my old graphics card (Geforce 9800) that i'm going to try (that should rule out problems with cables)... i'll update with the results

Well that should help us rule out the rest of your system, however the 9800GT only requires a 400W PSU, the GTX570 requires a 550W PSU, so because the 9800GT uses alot less power it may not show a fault with the PSU.

Just to mention that PSU's degrade over time, so although it may have been able to supply 1000W before it may not be able to now.