Will it bottleneck

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Ok i just bought an amd phenom ii x4 965 be and a msi 970A-g46 mother board with crossfire capabilities.
I currently have an msi radeon hd 7770 on the way but my mother is thinking about buying me 2 hd 7850's and i will crossfire them.

I am worried that the motherboard or cpu may horribly bottleneck the gpu and i had read somewhere that i could just overclock the cpu and it would be ok but i just wanted to know if that would actually work.

If it does bottleneck can you recommend a powerful ski/crossfirex that will run great and not bottleneck the cpu or motherboard

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I know 1 will work just fine but she offered to buy 2 and there is no way i'm turning down the chance to get 2 hd 7850's lol.
I just need to know if my processor can handle it or if i can overclock it so will handle it.

You're making a mistake getting 2 video cards and crossfiring them vs a single strong video card for the same money.

When you say putting in a 2nd one later.. how later? A year from now? 2 years? By then its probably going to make more sense just to toss out the single 7850 you have and upgrade that then to add a 2nd one. Just get a 7870, 7950, GTX 660 TI or 670 and call it a day.

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Yea i just sent her a pic of the 7950 and told her that was what i needed. it looks alot more expensive then the other but honestly when you put what the 2 gpu's and a new psu together i comes out to more then just keeping what i ahve and buying 1 7950.

Well, depending on what games you're playing and at what resolution, you may not even need the 7950. I have a 27 inch 1920x1080 monitor (the thing is huge) and a 19 inch older VGA style 1280x1024 monitor, and my 7870 drives both of them and plays any game I have in my library fully maxed. Battlefield 3 being the most graphically intensive of them. What kind of monitor do you have? If you're still using VGA the 7770 is good enough.

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Actually i'm buying a tv tuesday (with my own money) and it will either be a cheap 32" 720p screen or i'm looking at a 40" 1080p tv that is on sale at a store near me and if they still have that one in stock tomorrow i will do my best to buy it.
Please don't recommend a monitor to me i have an old 17" dell 1280x1024 that is my gaming on the go monitor and i'm not worried about the card handling it.
I will be playing bf3 and alot of other games like league, mine craft, black ops 2, elderscrolls online, guild wars 2, mw3, and alot of other games on it.
I'm just looking to get an expensive graphics card now that way i will have plenty of time to save up for one while this one will still be good a year down the line (hopefully) and which will keep me from spending $150 on a gpu every 6 or 7 months :).

Screen lag... If you're looking at higher end cards, I wouldn't touch anything lower than 1080. With a 660/7850 and up. You should be looking at nothing less. The problem you may find with using TVs, aside from the response time, is also for non gaming stuff like forums, browsing, working on word documents, etc. You may want a smaller monitor for that. The good news is, theres no reason you can't run both monitors. Keep your 17 inch dell and run both. Everyone is different, me wearing contacts, I find that the big text is too big for its own good, it ends up looking blurry reading the bigger text up close.

As far as monitors, theres nothing wrong with monitors, HDTVs can make fine gaming screens if selected properly, but for daily PC use.. See my above paragraph and solution.

mydragon15

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
after arguing and debating i am somehow getting a gtx 660 or 660 ti (no complaint).
the 32" 720p tv is fine for gaming and i haven even seen a problem on games like far cry 3 on ultra single player and high multiplayer and i don't see any lag.

just a warning for anyone who buys msi their download speeds for drivers and utilities are super slow i was getting 160kbs on everything else and only 25kbs on their website.