1500$ Gaming Build

Volrat

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
Hi everyone!

I would like to know the opinions of the awesome Tom's Hardware community on this build. I will be using it mainly for gaming and I am trying to not go over the 1500$ budget (including TAX/SHIPPING). I am from Canada and I intend to buy mainly from NCIX, Tiger Direct and New Egg. I do not plan on overclocking and if I ever chose to, I'll get proper cooling beforehand.

I will not be buying an OS since I will be using the one I recently bought. I already have a good monitor. This is for the tower only. I am not very interested in AMD but I might still consider their video cards.

I plan to buy this at the end of August (I know the 660s are releasing in the "near" future and I am aware that prices may drop and that's even better!)

Here is the build, if you guys need links please let me know I can provide them :

CASE - Cooler Master Haf 932 149.99 (NEWEGG) (do I really need a full?)

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro 199.99$ (NCIX) (probably cheaper/better boards for less)

POWER SUPPLY - Corsair TX750 V2 750W 80PLUS Bronze - 99.99$ (NCIX) (is 750W enough?)

PROCESSOR - Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge 6MB - 229.99$ (TIGERDIRECT)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 - 52.99$ (NEWEGG) (not too sure about those)

VIDEO CARD - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 - 399.99(TIGERDIRECT) (660s releasing soon?)

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 - 114.99$ (NCIX)

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 - 109.99 (NCIX) (good feedback on those?)

I will be trying to price match everything at the end on NCIX.

Total of 1357.92 $ (CAD) before taxes/shipping.

Solution
750w is bit overkill for your system unless you're planning on SLI in the future. If all you're going to have in your system is one card, I would recommend a 550w or 650w PSU :)

Also why don't you go with a Z77 solution? VirtuMVP is pretty wicked in my opinion :lol: I can personally see myself using it a lot.

The only other thing I will comment on is the case. I don't really think you'll need a full-tower for your rig...that and I personally dislike the styling of the case :lol:

One last thing, just make sure the RAM is 1.5v. Other than that, I don't really see anything that needs tinkering with.
750w is bit overkill for your system unless you're planning on SLI in the future. If all you're going to have in your system is one card, I would recommend a 550w or 650w PSU :)

Also why don't you go with a Z77 solution? VirtuMVP is pretty wicked in my opinion :lol: I can personally see myself using it a lot.

The only other thing I will comment on is the case. I don't really think you'll need a full-tower for your rig...that and I personally dislike the styling of the case :lol:

One last thing, just make sure the RAM is 1.5v. Other than that, I don't really see anything that needs tinkering with.

Solution

Volrat

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
I might be picking up another 670 in the future (if the price drops considerably) which is why I thought about getting a full tower and a 750W but dropping the PSU would still be a good idea. Can you recommend me any good Z77 chips boards?

Ahh that would explain it :) Then your current PSU choice would be a nice choice. I think it was recommended a 700w PSU for a GTX670 SLI configuration.

Though since your GTX670's are reference design (I'm assuming, since I don't see a special SKU), I'm sure a mid tower with good ventilation would suffice. However, there's no harm in a full tower.

Here's an article on Tom's that might help you with your decision :) My friends are all still currently using Z68, so I can't really give you any input or educated opinions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187-22.html

Volrat

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
Everywhere I checked Z77 seems to be superior to z68 but I didn't think about it a whole lot.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2276156

This board seems interesting (refering to the link you gave)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=684760&CatId=1842

This case looks like it has a lot of space, plenty for the build I'm going for.

It'll probably take a long time for me to get SLi in place so going mid/cheaper MOBO/downgrading PSU sounds like what I need. I'll have some extra money with time so I could just go for a massive upgrade in the future (like...1 year or so). Thanks a lot for your input. Highly appreciated. I'd like to have someone else's opinions about the chipsets.