Question about PSU for my build

hey all,

I have found a dutch online store that sells all the components (www.alternate.nl for those that are interested) and based on that store, I have made my final build (with a lot of credit going to the people who showed me the ropes on specific components)

I'm going to order all the parts next week, and hopefully I can start building that weekend

but my question is: does my choice in PSU provide enough power for my rig (with a healthy margin for peaks)

the build is as follows:

CPU:
-Intel i5 3570K

Motherboard:
-GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H

GPU:
-GIGABYTE GTX670 OC

RAM:
-16GB DDR3 1600MHz (1.5v)

SSD:
-240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe

HDD:
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Optical Drives:
-2x LiteOn IHAS124 DVD Burner

Cooling:
-Corsair H100 liquid cooling

the PSU that is supposed to power this machine is a Corsair CMPSU 750HX (Silver Certified)

my question to you is, is 750W enough? or should I upgrade to an 850W PSU? (bronze certified)

I'm not planning to expand my system other then a 2nd HDD if the first one starts to get full

I'm also not planning to overclock this system

I hope you can tell me whether or not 750W is enough, or if things might get a bit tight with that

friendly greetings,

Jen
14 answers Last reply
More about question build
  1. For that system 500w would be sufficient, 600w would be excellent, 750w gives you lots of room to upgrade in the future.
  2. and here I was, worried that I might not have enough power

    thank you for the quick answer!
  3. If you're using a single video card, the 750 watt is overkill, your system at max load will only draw ~340 watts. If you want to operate closer to the PSU maximum efficiency window (50-75% usage),a good 550 watt PSU will leave you plenty of room for expansion.

    However if you plan on SLI'd video cards later on (which I'm only guessing because your motherboard supports 3 pci-e 3.0 cards) you should consider a different PSU. Your 750 watt will support 2 670's, but it will be pushed hard to support 3. I would suggest a 900 watt PSU if you plan on eventually using 3 670's.

    have fun!
  4. To answer your question, yes, the Corsair 750w is a fine psu and will do the job.
    It is sufficient even for a replacement upgrade to a GTX690. Perhaps enough for sli GTX670(which I don't recommend).
    I see no problem with overprovisioning the psu. It will only consume the power it needs, regardless of it's maximum rating.

    You did not ask, but I would not use the H100 cooler, or, for that matter, and other all in one cooler if your objective is gaming.
    Your 3570K is as good as it gets for gaming. You plan to not OC, so a fancy cpu cooler is not needed. At stock, the 3570K runs cool. It is only when a high OC requiring voltage increases is needed will the temperatures rise high. An OC to the conservative level of 4.3-4.4 is easy with a conventional air cooler Preserve that option.
    An extra OC of 0.1 that the H100 would give you will not help your gaming noticeably.
    On the downside, the H100 is expensive, and noisy. When mounted per instructions to draw in outside air for maximum cpu cooling, it will heat up the interior of the case, and affect the graphics card cooling. Not good.

    A simple $30 air cooler like the cm hyper212 would do the job.
    If you want the best, then look at something like the Noctua NH-D14 for $85.

    The rest of your parts looks excellent.
  5. your psu is enough for 3570k+670 SLi+overclocking.
  6. geofelt said:
    To answer your question, yes, the Corsair 750w is a fine psu and will do the job.
    It is sufficient even for a replacement upgrade to a GTX690. Not enough for sli GTX670(which I don't recommend).
    I see no problem with overprovisioning the psu. It will only consume the power it needs, regardless of it's maximum rating.

    well,a quality 750w psu with is enough to run a system with 670 SLi.take a look-
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review/4

    Quote:
    You did not ask, but I would not use the H100 cooler, or, for that matter, and other all in one cooler if your objective is gaming.
    Your 3570K is as good as it gets for gaming. An OC to the conservative level of 4.3-4.4 is easy with a conventional air cooler.
    An extra 0.1 that the H100 would give you will not help your gaming noticeably.
    On the downside, the H100 is expensive, and noisy. When mounted per instructions to draw in outside air for maximum cpu cooling, it will heat up the interior of the case, and affect the graphics card cooling. Not good.

    A simple $30 air cooler like the cm hyper212 would do the job.
    If you want the best, then look at something like the Noctua NH-D14 for $85.

    +1
    another great option is Hyper 612 PWM.
  7. hellfire24 said:
    well,a quality 750w psu with is enough to run a system with 670 SLi.take a look-
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3way-sli-review/4

    Quote:
    You did not ask, but I would not use the H100 cooler, or, for that matter, and other all in one cooler if your objective is gaming.
    Your 3570K is as good as it gets for gaming. An OC to the conservative level of 4.3-4.4 is easy with a conventional air cooler.
    An extra 0.1 that the H100 would give you will not help your gaming noticeably.
    On the downside, the H100 is expensive, and noisy. When mounted per instructions to draw in outside air for maximum cpu cooling, it will heat up the interior of the case, and affect the graphics card cooling. Not good.

    A simple $30 air cooler like the cm hyper212 would do the job.
    If you want the best, then look at something like the Noctua NH-D14 for $85.

    +1
    another great option is Hyper 612 PWM.

    You will notice that I had edited my post to perhaps enough for GTX670 sli. Sorry about the typo.
  8. well, thank you for the additional advice as well, the Corsair H100 was recommended to me in an older thread, but if I could overclock it to 4.4Ghz with a normal air cooler, without issues, then I don't see why I should bother with liquid cooling (other then the fact it looks awesome)

    I'll have a gander at the Noctua, in any event, not getting liquid cooling is going to save my wallet from starvation

    thank you again, any other comments are welcome as well

    in which case, here is also the case I had in mind, the Cooler Master HAF XM (no side window)
  9. Cases are a personal thing. It looks fine to me.
  10. about the Noctua NH D-14, the only version I can find (on the dutch vendor) is one that fits only on the 2011 socket/chipset/whatever, on newegg there is a different one that has full compatibility, but that one is not available for me

    any other suggestions for an air cooler? I couldn't find the Hyper 612 either
  11. jen_gamer said:
    about the Noctua NH D-14, the only version I can find (on the dutch vendor) is one that fits only on the 2011 socket/chipset/whatever, on newegg there is a different one that has full compatibility, but that one is not available for me

    any other suggestions for an air cooler? I couldn't find the Hyper 612 either


    Do you have a link to the Dutch web site?

    I am currently using the Prolimatech megahalems which is excellent; you will have to buy the fan as extra:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242008

    Another cooler similar to the noctua is the Phanteks:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709002

    Hyper212 is good
    and Xigmatek DS1283 is good : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

    Actually, any tower type cooler with a 120 or 140mm fan will do the job.
  12. the site is called www.alternate.nl (don't know if there's an english version of it)

    I DID find a Cooler Master Hyper 612S, which I suppose is the one mentioned earlier, I thought Hyper was the actual brand, not the series..., so it looks like I'm all set now
  13. jen_gamer said:
    the site is called www.alternate.nl (don't know if there's an english version of it)

    I DID find a Cooler Master Hyper 612S, which I suppose is the one mentioned earlier, I thought Hyper was the actual brand, not the series..., so it looks like I'm all set now


    Here is the noctua NH-D14 that fits 1155 sockets; 1156 sockets are exactly the same:
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Noctua/NH-D14/143409/?tk=7&lk=1693

    The hyper212 evo would be a good inexpensive unit :http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Cooler_Master/Hyper212_Evo/915234/?tk=7&lk=1693
  14. geofelt said:
    You will notice that I had edited my post to perhaps enough for GTX670 sli. Sorry about the typo.

    got it sir!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product