Graphics related crashes, narrowed down as much as possible

Hey eveyone,

I built a new custom pc a couple of months ago, but have been facing a constant graphics crash while playing games or watching videos on YouTube. I either get a freeze, then BSOD, or freeze, then "Graphics driver has stopped responding popup".

I've been working on this issue for a while, having the retailer look at it a few times.

I've replaced the RAM, CPU, PSU, and tested another (different brand) graphics card.
The only time it seems to crash is using the primary (x16) pcie port.
Intel 3000 integrated graphics and the secondary (x8) speed port seem to work perfectly.

My guess is a bad motherboard, but I could be something that I haven't thought of? That's why I posted here.

And please don't tell me to update drivers, BIOS, etc, because that has all been done a thousand times.

Thanks

specs:
CPU: Intel 2nd gen i5 2500k
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-v/GEN3
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD6870
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700W
8 answers Last reply
More about graphics related crashes narrowed possible
  1. I agree, it looks like the motherboard primary pcie x16 slot.
  2. im not an eng for asus but it could be a simple thing that the the video card and the other devices that are installed will not share that irq. if you look on the mb guild that first pci slot is shared with a lot of devices. you could have a faulty lucent chip so that the onboard video and your video card not working together. email or post on asus to see if you can turn off as much as you can of the onboard video. one thing that i did find on google is that asus has issues with some amd video cards.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1244627/asus-p8z68-v-pro-gen3-bios-update-to-3202-results-in-my-amd-6970s-not-working
    i would look at slot to see if there any bent pins or missing pins and any on your card. also try running gpu z and see if the card reads fine in that slot. I would also look to see what the bios rev on that card is and see if it up to date. i would also email or post on asus rog web page and ask if the video bridge chip was changed from the z68 to z77 on my z77 i can change in the bios what pci rev speed i want run my cards at. (1.0 2.0 or 3.0). also ask if they switch chips in the middle of the year..give them your ser# and date of purchase. it may be that there a flash not for the bios but for the bridge chip for the video cipset on your mb.
  3. smorizio said:
    im not an eng for asus but it could be a simple thing that the the video card and the other devices that are installed will not share that irq. if you look on the mb guild that first pci slot is shared with a lot of devices. you could have a faulty lucent chip so that the onboard video and your video card not working together. email or post on asus to see if you can turn off as much as you can of the onboard video. one thing that i did find on google is that asus has issues with some amd video cards.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1244627/asus-p8z68-v-pro-gen3-bios-update-to-3202-results-in-my-amd-6970s-not-working
    i would look at slot to see if there any bent pins or missing pins and any on your card. also try running gpu z and see if the card reads fine in that slot. I would also look to see what the bios rev on that card is and see if it up to date. i would also email or post on asus rog web page and ask if the video bridge chip was changed from the z68 to z77 on my z77 i can change in the bios what pci rev speed i want run my cards at. (1.0 2.0 or 3.0). also ask if they switch chips in the middle of the year..give them your ser# and date of purchase. it may be that there a flash not for the bios but for the bridge chip for the video cipset on your mb.

Well, the card runs normally on the primary slot, but it crashes quite a lot. When you say the onboard video and video card might not be working together, I thought that the onboard video is disabled when using discrete graphics, so how would this be a problem?

Thanks for the great answer by the way!
  4. Have you tried your other PCI-E x16 slots? Also, which brand 6870 do you have? I own an MSI 6870 Hawk. Because some games are intensive such as BF3, I used to have the crashing issues. It could also be that the graphics card has 1 GB of Memory compared to the newer cards carrying 2GB-4GB.

If you are multi-tasking that uses the Graphics card it can possibly overload your graphics card. Example, watching movies, or video players open in your web browser while playing a game.
  5. I've seen this happen to a few motherboards I've worked on , usually it is a shared irc or a power issue with the slot which causes hell to any card you use in it.
    Its a pain , but have a look in your mobo manual and see what is shared with your pci-e x 16 slot. If theres any other components running like a sound card in another slot or a usb card etc , try and remove it or use another slot.
    If nothing works its best to return the mobo for RMA.
    The only other way is to put it in the other slot to keep it working.
  6. monsta said:
    I've seen this happen to a few motherboards I've worked on , usually it is a shared irc or a power issue with the slot which causes hell to any card you use in it.
    Its a pain , but have a look in your mobo manual and see what is shared with your pci-e x 16 slot. If theres any other components running like a sound card in another slot or a usb card etc , try and remove it or use another slot.
    If nothing works its best to return the mobo for RMA.
    The only other way is to put it in the other slot to keep it working.

Thanks monsta,
    This really helps, cheers!

Do you think it could be the wifi USB?
  7. fantastik250 said:
    Have you tried your other PCI-E x16 slots? Also, which brand 6870 do you have? I own an MSI 6870 Hawk. Because some games are intensive such as BF3, I used to have the crashing issues. It could also be that the graphics card has 1 GB of Memory compared to the newer cards carrying 2GB-4GB.

If you are multi-tasking that uses the Graphics card it can possibly overload your graphics card. Example, watching movies, or video players open in your web browser while playing a game.

Hey fantastik250,
    I very much doubt there's anything wrong with the card, as I've tested two cards or different brands and they both crash on that slot. I don't even have to be running games, YouTube will make it crash. It doesn't overheat or anything and its completely random.
  8. So I took it in for testing and they found the problem.
    Turns out the power cables were weighing the graphics card down and the card wasn't sitting in the port properly. They used a cable tie to hold the cables up.
    It's only been a few hours since, but they were testing it for quite a while and nothing has happened, so I'm gonna say that its fixed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics