Reformatting the Hard Drive

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Can someone post some good links on instructions for reformatting the hard
drive. Thanks.

More about reformatting hard drive

    To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom. When you get to
    the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found. After you
    delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the pc booting
    the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your new
    install.

    Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
    connecting to any network.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "flopalock" wrote:
    | Can someone post some good links on instructions for reformatting the hard
    | drive. Thanks.
    |
    | --

  2. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    flopalock wrote:

    > Can someone post some good links on instructions for reformatting the hard
    > drive. Thanks.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

    Or, if you just want to format and install XP in your own custom way,
    boot with a standard bootdisk and use fdisk to remove the partition,
    then recreate it and format. The format will be fat32, but you can then
    install xp and convert to NTFS later on.

    Still, if your cdrom is working for bootable media then just boot with
    the xp disk in and follow the propmts.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:3a5uusF67n01iU1@individual.net,
    flopalock <flopalock@yahoo.com> typed:

    > Can someone post some good links on instructions for
    > reformatting the
    > hard drive. Thanks.

    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
    it's almost always a mistake. With a modicum of care, it should
    never be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other
    version). I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95,
    Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of
    time before the next version came out, and each on two machines
    here. I never reinstalled any of them, and I have never had
    anything more than an occasional minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:50:00 -0500, in
    <3a5uusF67n01iU1@individual.net>
    flopalock scrawled:

    >Can someone post some good links on instructions for reformatting the hard
    >drive. Thanks.

    How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    Using the XP Installation CD to Format Drives
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/formatting_drives_using_xp_cd.htm

    How do I format a NTFS
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi

    If you really need to reformat, please have a look at the following article
    by Michael Stevens:

    "How do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive with XP installed?"
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "flopalock" <flopalock@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone post some good links on instructions for reformatting the hard
    > drive. Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:29:03 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:3a5uusF67n01iU1@individual.net,
    >flopalock <flopalock@yahoo.com> typed:
    >
    >> Can someone post some good links on instructions for
    >> reformatting the
    >> hard drive. Thanks.
    >

    >Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    >necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    >installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    >prompted, then create a new one).
    >
    >You can find detailed instructions here:
    >http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    >or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    >
    >or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
    >
    >However why do you want to reformat and reinstall? In my view,
    <Long wind snip>
    >after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    >have failed.
    >
    >If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    >can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Waxing poetically on the errors of clean installs, help nobody.
    If you thumped your chest half as hard on the merits of good image
    backup, maybe less people would help here.

    §kullywag©-

Configuration Microsoft Customization Hard Drives Windows XP