Sign in with
Your question

What is causing my new PC to stutter in games?

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2012 5:28:55 PM

So, I built my new PC around 3 or 4 days ago. Since then I have noticed lacklustre performance in games. In general, I expected it to preform a lot better than it actually does. I have come up with a bunch of reasons that I think that this may be happening, and would like to have your opinions on the matter. To get things started I should list my PC components.

Asus M5a97 Motherboard
XFX 6870 1GB Video Card
AMD 965 Black Edition Processor over clocked to 4GHz
Cooler master 212 plus Heat sink
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM
Western Digital Blue Caviar 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD drive
Corsair cx 600w PSU

So I have 3 things that I think could possible be doing this.

1. My system is being limited by dxdiag

At first I thought I may have received a bad card, the reason why is because when I would go into dxdiag it would show that I only had 733mb Vram, which seemed really strange because the card itself has 1GB of ram and it is also suppose to share some memory with the system. Upon further investigation it turns out that this is a common thing, and in reality all it is is that when there is a lot of memory in a system, dxdiag shows the wrong amount of memory, but it still uses the actual amount of memory available to it. Do you think that my system is being limited by the wrong amount of memory shown in dxdiag and that games are capping out at 733mb of Vram usage?

2.My bios needs to be updated

Pretty much what the title says, I haven't updated the bios yet mainly because I do not have a flash drive, and the bios updater program does not work on my operating system.

3.My hard drive is causing the stuttering

I think this is the most likely the answer. the reason I think that it is the answer is because I usually get stutters right after a part of the game is finished loading, for example when ever I load into TF2 I will receive a noticeable stutter at the beginning of the game and then it will run perfectly throughout the rest of the time playing, In league of legends the same thing happens, and also the same thing with the Batman Arkham City demo on steam. See I would be tolerable of this, because it is only a 1-2 second stutter and then I can play the game perfectly for at least 40-60 mins. The thing that makes this totally suck though is how Diablo 3 is set up. in Diablo 3 it plays off the hard drive as you go along, so every time I see or hear something new the game stutters. It is decently playable after 10-15mins of going through an area, because information like that is quickly available to the hard drive afterwards. Things still stutter though, because you are always encountering something different in that game. This could also be connected to reason #2.

Do you guys think that any of these may be correct? Or do you think that there is a totally different reason for why I am experiencing stutters in game.

More about : causing stutter games

July 11, 2012 6:09:09 PM

I think the hard drive is what's causing it more than anything else. A 7200 RPM hard drive will bottleneck a dual Xeon rendering server if it's the primary. You could always get an SSD and that might improve loading times.

Alternately try updating your graphics card driver to the latest version (Catalyst 12.7 I believe), that should correct a lot of lag issues.
m
l
July 11, 2012 6:10:55 PM

Download CPU-Z, GPU-Z and check everything looks good there. DXDiag isn't brilliant.

Have you run stability tests on CPU overclock and RAM? If no, please do.

Maybe also run a HDD diagnostic.

Next run a couple of tests on 3DMark11 loop mode to see how that goes - does it stutter? When?
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 6:11:27 PM

Yeah newest drivers is a given.
m
l
July 11, 2012 7:12:21 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Download CPU-Z, GPU-Z and check everything looks good there. DXDiag isn't brilliant.

Have you run stability tests on CPU overclock and RAM? If no, please do.

Maybe also run a HDD diagnostic.

Next run a couple of tests on 3DMark11 loop mode to see how that goes - does it stutter? When?

http://gyazo.com/06cb04e0e1b74a04d1c9a66fe5d4804b

There is a picture of

Everything seems to be running correctly as far as I can tell, but maybe you guys will spot something I didn't. Yes I did stress test, and it did fine. Ill try 3DMark11 right now.
m
l
!