Solved

When will 4GB versions of 680 GTX be released in North America?

I am waiting to sell my 7970 and get 4Gb version of some 680 GTX. I've seen a few of them already reviewed on some sources, but I cannot find any of them for sale. Anyone have any idea when 680 GTX 4GB will be available for sale?

Thanks.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about when versions released north america
  1. Anyway there's no benefit from getting the 4gb version, no matter what resolution you are at.
    Quote:
    The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.
  2. ilysaml said:
    Anyway there's no benefit from getting the 4gb version, no matter what resolution you are at.
    Quote:
    The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.

Right now, of course there are no benefits from getting 4gb version of GTX 680. But I want to have a good video card for future games, and there will be games requiring 2 and 3 GB of RAM at 1920x1080 resolutions in 1-3 years .
  3. Best answer
    That's true but the trick is that the GTX 680's GPU is not capable of handling such amount of VRAM, basically no GPU around is. So after 3 years there will be GPUs capable of handling this amount of VRAM. But right now if you get a 4Gb version whether it will increase your FPS by 5-7 FPS or hold back your performance, that's because when the additional VRAM doesn't add a value it holds back your performance.
    Quote:
    Note that when the additional memory doesn’t make a difference, it reduces performance slightly, a phenomenon already observed with the 1 GB and 2 GB versions of the Radeon HD 6950.

Look at HD 5570 512 and 1 GB
  4. ilysaml said:
    That's true but the trick is that the GTX 680's GPU is not capable of handling such amount of VRAM, basically no GPU around is. So after 3 years there will be GPUs capable of handling this amount of VRAM. But right now if you get a 4Gb version whether it will increase your FPS by 5-7 FPS or hold back your performance, that's because when the additional VRAM doesn't add a value it holds back your performance.

That's interesting. I never thought that more VRAM can decrease performance. But you took AMD VGAs as an example, AMD has a different architecture and some driver problems, are you sure there is the same thing happening with Nvidia VGAs?
  5. Ok, here's GTX 580s 1.5 GB vs 3.0 GB
    http://s13.postimage.org/xc2pmz8r7/VRAM.jpg

Maybe the real advantage of 4GB will be shown when the GTX 780 is released.
  6. ilysaml said:
    Ok, here's GTX 580s 1.5 GB vs 3.0 GB

Nice. Thanks a lot. I wonder when 780 will be released...
  7. Newegg is actually showing an overclocked Zotac GTX 680 2GB in stock. I don't know anything about Zotac though.
  8. Desert Eagle said:
    Newegg is actually showing an overclocked Zotac GTX 680 2GB in stock. I don't know anything about Zotac though.

Saw that one too:) 3-slot VGA is not an option for me.
  9. Anonymous said:
    Nice. Thanks a lot. I wonder when 780 will be released...

GTX 780? Grab a seat my friend, you are in for a good wait. Besisdes, with every new product line availability of Nvidia's top products seem to get scarcer. GTX 780 will probably be made of Unobtanium.
  10. Best answer selected by Veirtimid.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics