What graphics card can i get with my psu?

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hey, i have a Vostro 200 (it's not a slim tower) and i want to play diablo3, but my graphics card is not enough. i looked inside the mother board and it says, MAX POWER 300W. It also says,
+12V ---/ 18 A, +3.3---/ 17A
+5V---/22A, +5Vaux ---/2A
+12V---/ 0.8A
Below this it says
+5V & + 3.3V total power output can't exceed 160W.
I have looked for many graphics card that fits the diablo 3 requirements, but i have no idea, which one fits my Psu.
I have no idea what all the numbers above mean, so please tell me a graphics card that fits and my Psu and diablo 3 graphics requirements? It'd be great if it isn't too expensive.
Here are the supported graphics card for diablo3: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/D3supportedvideo
Thanks!

Your power supply should be able to support a graphics card that does not need an auxiliary 6 pin pcie power lead.

The newer 7xxx series are built on a 28nm process and are more efficient.
I think a 7750 is about the best you can do. It is similar in capability to a 6750, or a GTS250.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Aw, so does that mean that i am not able to play diablo 3?.
Oh i looked at dell and searched for a graphics card, and it showed me ATI Radeon HD 3450.
Would this not work? i look at my motherboard and there is nothing on the side left side of where graphics card should be. I see that most graphics card have some sort of plugging in thing at the side. but i don't anything that i can plug that into in my motherboard..

The 3450 is an old graphics card with puny performance. Not acceptable to you.

You should see an empty pcie X16 expansion slot. That is where the graphics card will go.

The expansion slot can deliver up to 75w to power the graphics card.
The 7750 is power efficient anc can be powered soley by the expansion slot.

Older tech cards like the 6750 have a place on them where you plug in a 6 pin connector from the psu. It is needed to power the 6750.
I doubt that your psu has such a connector, and it will not likely have sufficient power to let you use molex to 6 pin adapters either.

I can't guarantee you that a 7750 will fit or do the job, but I think it will.
If you buy one, do so from a place where you can return it if you have a problem.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Ohhh Okay thanks, but the thing im concerned about is i don't think diablo 3 supports 7750 graphics card? It's not on the supported list, so i don't think it will work....Or are you talking about FirePro 3D V7750? That ones on the list. Thanks

+1

And just to clarify, you want a Radeon HD 7750 1GB DDR5. Yes it works with Diablo 3, here's a review of Diablo 3 where it's used (and its performance compared to other gaming video cards). http://www.techspot.com/review/532-diablo-3-performance/page2.html

It should fit perfectly in your Vostro, and you'll be playing Diablo 3 on High settings before you know it.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Omg thank you!! i have another question. So does it mean that i can just connect the graphics card into my motherboard and i don't have to worry about connecting other cables or anything like that? And i will be able to play diablo 3 fine?

Not exactly.
You need to disconnect the monitor cable from your motherboard, and plug it into the graphics card.
When you boot up next, your display will look strange and low resolution.
You then need to update your graphics drivers for the card, either from the cd that came with the card, or, go to amd and download the latest driver from them.

Yes and yes. Once you plug in the card, plug your monitor into the card, and then you need to download and install the drivers for it from AMD's website.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012
both of you, Thank you so much!!. Also, how do you plug in the monitor into my card? is it inside the motherboard? around the monitor? One more,i looked up the radeon 7750 on ebay, and the graphics card were 120$? is that supposed to be normal? i was looking for a cheaper one...do any of you know any sites i can buy the 7750? and the ones on ebay had the plug-ins for the cables, is it the wrong model? Sorry for asking so many questions, i don't know any computer related things..

Do you have a budget for a graphics card?

Look on amazon or newegg for buying new graphics cards. You will have an established seller, and the prices will be competitive.
Don't know where if you are not in the USA,

If you can't figure out how to plug in a monitor, I think you need some help. with this.
Find a friend who is knowledgeable, or go to a computer repair shop.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yeah i do have budget but i don't want to spend too much. yup i am from usa. Thanks! can you see my next reply and tell me if im wrong?

2 things:

The cable that currently connects your monitor to the computer should be VGA, DVI, or HDMI. Look up pictures of those plugs to figure out which you have, and then purchase an HD 7750 or HD 6670 that has that type of plug. (If you want to go cheaper than $115, get an HD 6670 1GB DDR5 - really the cheapest card I'd recommend. Here's a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161375)

Graphics card manufacturers always overestimate the wattage requirements for PSUs so they're not held liable for blowing someone's weak 10-year-old PSU. As long as that Vostro is only a few years old at the most, the PSU will power the new card just fine. Dell puts good units in their systems.

As a rule, the recommendations are conservative, since AMD does not know what else you will have installed, or what the quality of your psu is.The quality of your psu is unknown to me. It looks to be not great.
But, if it is sufficient to power your pc and the expansion slots it came with, then the 7750 should be OK since it needs no more power than the slot it fits in.

I can make no guarantees though. If you want guarantees, take your pc to a repair place and have them recommend and install a suitable graphics card.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012

so even though this one has the plug-ins at the side of the card, i don't have to plug anything in there? i just have to plug it into my motherboard and my monitor?

I see no plug ins on the side of the card. I think what you see is the part of the card that fits into the motherboard pcie X16 slot.

whdnjs123

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yeah the pcie x16 slot haha um so i won't have to plug in anything in there? i just plug the graphic card into my mother board, and connect it with my monitor, like you told me, and install the update from the website, and i'll be good to go? so, no need for any cables right?

The longer side with the gold contacts goes into your motherboard at the PCIe x16 slot, and once it's in, you'll plug your monitor cable into one of the plugs on the shorter end. You can't see them very well in the pictures, but they're DisplayPort, HDMI, and DVI left to right. You'll need to figure out what type of plug you have on the end of your monitor cable before buying - I'm not sure this card comes with a DVI to VGA adapter if you have a VGA plug.