Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Desktops
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2012 7:35:25 PM

So I have an HP desktop model number p6520f about a couple to a few a years old and I've added an hd 6770 to it and I'm looking to get even more performance. I was thinking about upgrading in the near future to a better cpu possibly the phenom ii X4 965 or 975 and installing an after market cooler to OC, THEN eventually adding a new card say a radeon hd 7850. If you haven't already guessed I am a gamer so thats what I mainly do with my computer. I need some thoughts from you guys on what I can do with this system, I know its not the most ideal but I want to be able to get the best performance out of it without having to buy a new computer.

My system specs:
AMD Athlon II x4 635 @2.9Ghz
6 GB DIMM DDR3 RAM
MSI Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
Cooler Master 500W PSU
Windows 7 Home

If you guys need any more specific information just let me know.

Edit: Or whatever you guys think is a better upgrade to my system LET ME KNOW!

More about : upgrading desktop gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 9:03:34 PM

Since this is a HP computer, i would really double check if the mobo is locked/limited to 95W TDP chips but for the simplest upgrade i would say get a better 80+ certified PSU along with that HD 7850 then do a complete overhaul next time
m
l
July 11, 2012 9:15:32 PM

batuchka said:
Since this is a HP computer, i would really double check if the mobo is locked/limited to 95W TDP chips but for the simplest upgrade i would say get a better 80+ certified PSU along with that HD 7850 then do a complete overhaul next time

Well the mobo is a Foxconn 2A92 its kinda junk but I think I found the right one: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-2a92-mainboard-...

Wouldn't the athlon processor I have bottleneck the 7850?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2012 12:48:06 AM

Yes certain CPU intensive games it would bottleneck the HD 7850 a wee bit but @ 1920 x 1080 res a huge majority of games are GPU bound
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2012 1:09:44 AM

I agree with batuchka. The GPU is a simple, straightforward upgrade. The PSU and GPU upgrade would also be transferable when you decide to rebuild for real.

Replacing the motherboard on a prebuilt isnt't necessarily an easy task -- you likely will have to reauthorize your OEM copy windows and may have other technical challenges. If you dont have a plain copy of windows, your system restore/install disk may really complicate windows installation for you on a different motherboard/different drivers, etc.
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:38:08 AM

So upgrading the cpu wouldn't be worth the time or money?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2012 1:44:19 AM

Unlesss an overhaul, more trouble than worth IMO
m
l
July 12, 2012 1:59:56 AM

I mean I've replaced processors before so I could do it and I'm willing to pay the price for a phenom ii x4 975 I've just never taken the mother board out to install a cooler.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b α HP
July 12, 2012 5:02:07 PM

1) Don't bump. It's against forum rules.

2) I don't think you need to remove the motherboard from the case to install the stock cooler. I think only Intel processors/HSF required the back-plate installation.

3) Regardless, I agree with batuchka in that it's probably not worth the cost/trouble. Last time I replaced just the processor, it still required a full Windows re-install (special circumstances in my case).

-Wolf sends
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:33:24 PM

Wolfshadw said:
1) Don't bump. It's against forum rules.

2) I don't think you need to remove the motherboard from the case to install the stock cooler. I think only Intel processors/HSF required the back-plate installation.

3) Regardless, I agree with batuchka in that it's probably not worth the cost/trouble. Last time I replaced just the processor, it still required a full Windows re-install (special circumstances in my case).

-Wolf sends

Well I was thinking of getting an aftermarket cooler but if you guys are saying its not worth it then I guess I won't. Bummer, I really wanted to get some performance boost.
m
l