Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First HomeBuilt, Need Compatibility Help!

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2012 7:51:04 PM

Cheers and Regards to all TH members!

I'm kind of planning to build my first rig. And also low on money somewhat. But hey I chose some parts, so if anyone knowledgable can guide me through this and tell me if they will work together alright!

Spoiler

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Week
Budget Range: $500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Encoding Videos
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MBO, RAM, PSU, CPU Case
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://www.flipkart.com ( $1 = Rs ~55 )
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024
Additional Comments: A Quiet PC, Value for money, and a performer!
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: This current one is AMD Athlon X2,2GB-DDR2, Dying to peace out!

Now the Parts:

CPU : AMD 3.5 GHz AM3 Phenom II 970 Processor -- $140

M/B : ASUS M5A97 Motherboard --- $114

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL) --- $65

Quote:
Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU - $90

PC Case: Lancool PC-K62 -- $92

HDD : Have spare 500 GB WD @ 7200RPM.
Video Card / Cooling : Have a spare 7770 DDR5 1GB
Prices are really higger in India than Newegg/Tigerdirect. :cry: 

That's all for now.
My first Forum post! :D 
[/spoiler]
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 9:09:27 PM

$500 is a tough budget.
Here is a $500 gaming build from tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you...

Since prices have changed, and may not be applicable in India, look more at the budget for each component.
The graphics card will be much more important than the cpu.

For the cpu, read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
The Intel chips will be better for any gaming build.

For the graphics card, read this report:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 9:38:39 PM

You can't, not have a video card with that AMD setup, and without a video card on an Intel setup, don't expect to be playing games in good settings with it, quite frankly Intel's onboard in their i3s suck. There are some AMD motherboards that have onboard graphics, but quite frankly, they suck worse than Intels onboard graphics. Not to be confused with AMD's Llano APUs on the FM1 socket, those are actually pretty decent, but still not really up to snuff for a gaming machine.

As far as gaming performance (if thats your goal, I assume it is because thats what 95% of the ppl who post here are after) between the CPUs, yes the Intel i3s bench a little better, but theres a big difference between benchmarks and actual gameplay. Realistically, if I put 2 systems in front of you with the same video card one with a Phenom II and the other with an i3, you'd never know which is which.

I know video cards are stupid expensive in India from helping other people on the forums find a build. You may have to wait til you can save more money for the video card and suffer with Intels onboard graphics, just so you know upfront not to have high expectations if you're trying to game.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:13:46 AM

I'm sorry. I should have mentioned. I got HD 7770 DDR5 1GB from my friend, that's why video card is not needed.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:17:02 AM

Oh I see, a 7770 is a pretty decent low cost card. Its not super great, but its not horrible either. Are Phenom II 965s available where you live? They're the same CPU as the 970, just clocked lower, since both can be overclocked, I would get the cheaper of the two.

As far as Intel goes, like I said, you'd never know which is which, between a Phenom II and an i3-2120, or 2100, I'd get which ever is cheaper, or flip a coin to decide which to get.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:21:06 AM

geofelt said:
$500 is a tough budget.
Here is a $500 gaming build from tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-you...

Since prices have changed, and may not be applicable in India, look more at the budget for each component.
The graphics card will be much more important than the cpu.

For the cpu, read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
The Intel chips will be better for any gaming build.

For the graphics card, read this report:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

So Intel chips huh?
Can you suggest some ?
Celeron seems a bit low, I need to encode video on it too.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:24:38 AM

For encoding video, a quad core is a better idea. Either stick with the Phenom II or step up to an Intel i5-2300/2310/2400/3450/2500K/3570K. Gaming it wont matter much.
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:29:39 AM

nekulturny said:
Oh I see, a 7770 is a pretty decent low cost card. Its not super great, but its not horrible either. Are Phenom II 965s available where you live? They're the same CPU as the 970, just clocked lower, since both can be overclocked, I would get the cheaper of the two.

As far as Intel goes, like I said, you'd never know which is which, between a Phenom II and an i3-2120, or 2100, I'd get which ever is cheaper, or flip a coin to decide which to get.

Thank you for the fast reply, mate!

Phenom II 965s are available in some less than $20 than 970s.

I saw some reviews i3-2120/2100 does out performs Phenom II in most cases, but in the longer run which one should be better?
I mean I read it somewhere in this forum, "more cores, the less they will be used and more longevity." Isn't?
m
l
July 12, 2012 7:30:57 AM

nekulturny said:
For encoding video, a quad core is a better idea. Either stick with the Phenom II or step up to an Intel i5-2300/2310/2400/3450/2500K/3570K. Gaming it wont matter much.

Thank you again.

"Corsair CMPSU-600GUK 600 Watts PSU" will suffice for this built?

m
l

Best solution

July 12, 2012 7:51:32 AM

ben13 said:
Thank you for the fast reply, mate!

Phenom II 965s are available in some less than $20 than 970s.

I saw some reviews i3-2120/2100 does out performs Phenom II in most cases, but in the longer run which one should be better?
I mean I read it somewhere in this forum, "more cores, the less they will be used and more longevity." Isn't?

You're welcome. Eh, i3s outperform Phenom IIs in gaming because most games only use 2 cores. When you start talking about running programs optimized for 4 cores, its another story. i3s have stronger individual cores than Phenom IIs for sure. i3s also have HyperThreading which allows the CPU to "pretend" to have 4 cores, however its not the same as having 4 real cores in programs that can make use of them.

As far as system longevity. Its kind of a tradeoff. You could technically upgrade to an i5 later on with an Intel board, the problem wtih that is next year Intel will be using a new CPU socket, which means if you want the latest i5 you'll be buying a new motherboard. AMD will be releasing PileDriver CPUs later this year, its too soon to really tell for sure, but its looking like they'll be about as good as Intel's Sandy Bridge or within spitting distance. This is based on Tom's review of AMD Trinity.

PileDrivers will still be on the AM3+ socket, and its possible that SteamRoller CPUs (which are set to be released late next year) will be on AM3+ as well, although this has yet to be confirmed.

I would say as a general statement, yes software will be heading towards using more cores, at least for productivity software like media encoders and such. Game coding is another story. It really hasn't changed much in the last 15 years, even though the games graphics have gotten better, consoles like Xbox and Playstation 2 still dominate the market, as long as they do, game makers for PC are probably not going to much to change their ways. Its quite sad really. PC gaming has a lot more potential if it weren't dragged down by lousy $300 consoles.

Quote:

More than enough actually. With that video card, you could probably get away with an Antec 380D Earthwatts. Although if you plan to put a stronger video card in the future, I would stick with 500-600 watts in a quality PSU such as the Corsair.
July 12, 2012 7:59:58 AM

Best answer selected by ben13.
m
l
July 12, 2012 8:30:21 AM

nekulturny said:
Spoiler
You're welcome. Eh, i3s outperform Phenom IIs in gaming because most games only use 2 cores. When you start talking about running programs optimized for 4 cores, its another story. i3s have stronger individual cores than Phenom IIs for sure. i3s also have HyperThreading which allows the CPU to "pretend" to have 4 cores, however its not the same as having 4 real cores in programs that can make use of them.

As far as system longevity. Its kind of a tradeoff. You could technically upgrade to an i5 later on with an Intel board, the problem wtih that is next year Intel will be using a new CPU socket, which means if you want the latest i5 you'll be buying a new motherboard. AMD will be releasing PileDriver CPUs later this year, its too soon to really tell for sure, but its looking like they'll be about as good as Intel's Sandy Bridge or within spitting distance. This is based on Tom's review of AMD Trinity.

PileDrivers will still be on the AM3+ socket, and its possible that SteamRoller CPUs (which are set to be released late next year) will be on AM3+ as well, although this has yet to be confirmed.

I would say as a general statement, yes software will be heading towards using more cores, at least for productivity software like media encoders and such. Game coding is another story. It really hasn't changed much in the last 15 years, even though the games graphics have gotten better, consoles like Xbox and Playstation 2 still dominate the market, as long as they do, game makers for PC are probably not going to much to change their ways. Its quite sad really. PC gaming has a lot more potential if it weren't dragged down by lousy $300 consoles.

Quote:

More than enough actually. With that video card, you could probably get away with an Antec 380D Earthwatts. Although if you plan to put a stronger video card in the future, I would stick with 500-600 watts in a quality PSU such as the Corsair.

I'll better stick to AMD Phenom II with a AM3+ Mobo. Money is something Hard to get for me. :kaola: 
If there's a updated part within a year, I better get that thing just not the whole CPU+Mobo.:D 
Corsair is something really good, have been using their 440W PSU in my current build for over last 2years.. not a single fail and quiet as hell!

Even if I get the "Radeon HD 7850" later which I plan to, this rig seems a good option.
m
l
July 12, 2012 9:08:08 AM

Heres the article if you want to look at it, it has a first look at PileDriver and how it stacks up against Sandy Bridge.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-a8-5600k-...

Based on these results the quad core Trinity is about equal in CPU performance in most circumstances to an i3 Sandy Bridge. This would suggest to me that a PileDriver 8 core will likely be on par with a Sandy Bridge i5 quad core in multi-threaded performance.

Intels next generation CPU is going to be Haswell, its my understanding that Intel is focusing primarily on reducing power consumption, as such I wouldn't expect a huge gain in performance over the current Ivy Bridge (which is about a 6 percent improvement on average over Sandy Bridge). Although, it is again too soon to really be sure what Haswell is going to bring to the table, except that it brings a new CPU socket (LGA1150) which will replace the current LGA1155 Sandy/Ivy Bridges use.

m
l
July 12, 2012 1:09:16 PM

Awesome! I checked that stuff. Seems both AMD and Intel are going the pick a fight again.. well.. umm.. it was like that always, just AMD lacking the fight for last few years while focusing on just value not the performance... I believe next year is gonna be awesome if we manage to survive the 21/12 doomsday! :p 
m
l
!