Sign in with
Your question

Amd am3+ New processors?

Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:04:26 AM

i was wondering if anyone knew anything about wether or not amd will be coming out with any am3+ processors in the next coming year or 2?
I have read and heard about the bulldozer cpu's being horrible and in truth i do not know much about amd.

If you know of any new am3+ processors that my come out let me know.

More about : amd am3 processors

a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:05:56 AM

There is still more to come:
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5057/excavator.png

Edit: I believe the "streamroller" will stick to the AM3+ socket but haven't heard anything about the "excavator." Pretty silly names huh? Just wanted to say the Bulldozers are kind of horrible but most of their imperfections were sort of corrected with the Piledriver series.
November 22, 2012 9:08:56 AM

haha thank you :) .
Spent the past 2 months doing research on motherboards and processors with prices and all and i finally settled on the phenom ii x4 965 be with an am3+ crossfire ready motherboard.
I feel pretty confident about my build now that i know that there will be new cpus coming out making me feel a little more future proof
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:28:30 AM

Hahah dont worry ;) 
I myself still use the Phenom II X4 955 Black edition and it still is working strong to this day. Anyways you could consider the FX-6300 over the Phenoms if you want newer processors. No problem though getting the Phenom now and upgrading later to the streamroller/excavator since the costs will be minimal due to the same socket.
November 22, 2012 9:32:15 AM

yea, i literally just bought the amd phenom ii x4 965 and all my parts will be here monday :p .
its my first pc build ever and the hardest part was wether to go amd/intel but after months of research i went with them because of the price and also how much praise the phenom ii x4 series has been getting compared to all of their other processors its the one i hear the most about.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:36:17 AM

mydragon15 said:
yea, i literally just bought the amd phenom ii x4 965 and all my parts will be here monday :p .
its my first pc build ever and the hardest part was wether to go amd/intel but after months of research i went with them because of the price and also how much praise the phenom ii x4 series has been getting compared to all of their other processors its the one i hear the most about.

Nice! Absolutely no shame in getting the Phenom, anyways you should overclock that processor. That's where the Phenom black edition shine, with their 4ghz overclocks. I myself had my Phenom overclocked but I brought it down to stock since I swapped to a really generic power supply (Cooler Master) while my new Corsair CX-430 is still on its way.

Edit: Hope you bought a good aftermarket heatsink, you will need it to overclock.
November 22, 2012 9:42:19 AM

I won't be overclocking it for a while as this is my first build i want to play it safe for a bit and probably i will try overclocking it after the first couple of months.
yea my build right now is the phenom ii x4 965 be with an hd 7770 and i will probably be given an hd 7950 for christmas (thats probably when i should overclock that way i can be 100%sure i get the full potentional out of the 7950)
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:44:45 AM

Not too bad of a rig, I have the 955 BE and the HD 7770, what a coincidence :lol: 
Anyways what resolution are you playing your games at? At 1600x900 I pretty much max out all games.
November 22, 2012 9:48:05 AM

haha actually I'm buying a tv next week for it and all my parts come in on monday.
i will more then likely be using a 32" 720p (not very good i know)
i found this 40" 1080p toshiba that is on sale near me and i'm hoping to buy it.
i have a small mobile monitor that is 1280x1024 hq.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:54:04 AM

Well the 7950 will definitely help give you a boost in terms of FPS when gaming on the 40 inch IF using a high resolution. You may get minimal bottlenecking or none at all but to be on the safe side do consider overclocking when you get the 7950.
November 22, 2012 10:03:33 AM

i am already considering it :) , but until i actually get the card i will be fine with the 7770
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 12:45:39 PM

So some things to point.out. Bulldozer is bad. But asking about it when piledriver.has been out and steamroller is confirmed for the socket...yea

Phenom II is not bad. My 3 year old unlocked to quad phenom II x2 at 3.7 GHz maxes everything. But buying it instead of piledriver. Huge mistake.

so using a TV. they have huge input lag. And 720p.Big mistake
November 22, 2012 12:57:03 PM

like i said i know almost nothing about amd at all.
and as its my first build i'm fine with not having piledriver i can always upgrade later :) .
if the lag is to much for me to handle on my tv i will switch to my hq monitor but i have played using computer games with on a 32" 1080p before and i had no problem with it.
i understand you believe they are mistakes but you didn't clarify why or how which makes it seem more like an opinion then facts.
!