Online cardroom has blocked my computer

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Party Poker has blocked my computer from accessing their site. I can't log
on with this machine. A different computer I have no problem logging on.
They say that too many accounts have been opened from this computer and they
are "suspicious" as to the activity. My account is accessible from another
computer, but I can't log onto this one. My question is this: What are they
using to identify that I am trying to access their site using the blocked
computer? Both computers share the same connection, dial up, from the same
phone line. I have searched and deleted anything Party Poker related from
the registry, deleted cookies, uninstalled, re installed and I still can't
log on. How are they identifying this specific computer and how do I get
around it?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Probably your IP address is being blocked.

For Internet Explorer assistance:

Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"James Pollack" wrote:

| Party Poker has blocked my computer from accessing their site. I can't log
| on with this machine. A different computer I have no problem logging on.
| They say that too many accounts have been opened from this computer and they
| are "suspicious" as to the activity. My account is accessible from another
| computer, but I can't log onto this one. My question is this: What are they
| using to identify that I am trying to access their site using the blocked
| computer? Both computers share the same connection, dial up, from the same
| phone line. I have searched and deleted anything Party Poker related from
| the registry, deleted cookies, uninstalled, re installed and I still can't
| log on. How are they identifying this specific computer and how do I get
| around it?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Carey - the OP is dial up - gets a random IP from the modem pool with each
connection - no way - I'd say it may be the OP's modem MAC address, unique
to each computer just like a NIC, as the OP says one computer can, and one
cannot, both on dial-up.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

> Probably your IP address is being blocked.
>
> For Internet Explorer assistance:
>
> Please visit the Internet Explorer newsgroup experts:

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "James Pollack" wrote:
>
> | Party Poker has blocked my computer from accessing their site. I can't
log
> | on with this machine. A different computer I have no problem logging on.
> | They say that too many accounts have been opened from this computer and
they
> | are "suspicious" as to the activity. My account is accessible from
another
> | computer, but I can't log onto this one. My question is this: What are
they
> | using to identify that I am trying to access their site using the
blocked
> | computer? Both computers share the same connection, dial up, from the
same
> | phone line. I have searched and deleted anything Party Poker related
from
> | the registry, deleted cookies, uninstalled, re installed and I still
can't
> | log on. How are they identifying this specific computer and how do I get
> | around it?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

In news:emYCWToLFHA.3016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Admiral Q <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> had this to
say:

> Carey - the OP is dial up - gets a random IP from the modem pool with
> each connection - no way - I'd say it may be the OP's modem MAC
> address, unique to each computer just like a NIC, as the OP says one
> computer can, and one cannot, both on dial-up.

Or perhaps a hash based on that as the modem shouldn't (I don't think) be
broadcasting the MAC address??? The MAC address is only available at the
lowest level of the IP packet and thus shouldn't be broadcast nor able to be
retrieved by remote host. You're on to something though... It's probably a
hash value based on some hardware configuration (why not MAC?) or unique key
like many other machine ID codes in applications these days. This post is
just to add to the curiosity factor ;) Thought I'd see what people had to
say about the idea...

Galen