GTX 670 Driver Issue

I recently built a new computer, all of the parts other than the graphics card arrived early so I put them together and used the on board graphics. The next day the GTX 670 arrived so I installed it and installed the graphics driver from the nVidia website version 301.34. It worked great for a little while.

The next day the computer would get to the windows screen but would just go to a black screen after that and just hang there and would never start.

I reinstalled windows and updated all of the drivers other than the graphics driver. At this point it rebooted perfectly. I installed the graphics drivers and the computer would hang again and not start. I restored a previous version of windows and installed the graphics driver from the disc that came with the 670. The same thing happened.

Today I installed windows and it would start up just fine. The first thing I installed was the graphics driver and the same thing happened, it would hang after the initial windows screen and never start.

I found the following on nVidia.com at:
http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.34/301.34-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

There is a part that talks about win7 64-bit known issues
"The System hangs and does not post after reboot during driver installation if a DisplayPort 1.2 branch device is connected to the DisplayPort connecter"
This sounds like the problem I am having but I don't have anything in the display port

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try or how I can fix this issue? Anything would help because I am out of ideas. Hopefully I am just making some stupid mistake because it has been quite a while since I built my last computer.


Comp Specs:
win7 64-bit
i5-2500k
ASUS p8z77 pro
evga GTX 670
Seasonic x750
8gb G.Skill pc1600
Corsair 650D
Crucial M4 128gb
8 answers Last reply
More about driver issue
  1. try the latest beta driver
  2. andyschu said:
    I recently built a new computer, all of the parts other than the graphics card arrived early so I put them together and used the on board graphics. The next day the GTX 670 arrived so I installed it and installed the graphics driver from the nVidia website version 301.34. It worked great for a little while.

    The next day the computer would get to the windows screen but would just go to a black screen after that and just hang there and would never start.

    I reinstalled windows and updated all of the drivers other than the graphics driver. At this point it rebooted perfectly. I installed the graphics drivers and the computer would hang again and not start. I restored a previous version of windows and installed the graphics driver from the disc that came with the 670. The same thing happened.

    Today I installed windows and it would start up just fine. The first thing I installed was the graphics driver and the same thing happened, it would hang after the initial windows screen and never start.

    I found the following on nVidia.com at:
    http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.34/301.34-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

    There is a part that talks about win7 64-bit known issues
    "The System hangs and does not post after reboot during driver installation if a DisplayPort 1.2 branch device is connected to the DisplayPort connecter"
    This sounds like the problem I am having but I don't have anything in the display port

    Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try or how I can fix this issue? Anything would help because I am out of ideas. Hopefully I am just making some stupid mistake because it has been quite a while since I built my last computer.


    Comp Specs:
    win7 64-bit
    i5-2500k
    ASUS p8z77 pro
    evga GTX 670
    Seasonic x750
    8gb G.Skill pc1600
    Corsair 650D
    Crucial M4 128gb


    This happens to me too, although not everytime, it does happen, all I do is click the restart button on my case and the computer restarts boots up :)
  3. I tried beta version 301.40 but it still does not boot up with the graphics driver installed.
  4. andyschu said:
    I tried beta version 301.40 but it still does not boot up with the graphics driver installed.


    Try the certified 301.42 driver :D

    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967
  5. This is happening to me as we speak with my EVGA GTX 670, I thought I had done something wrong or maybe I had a defunct video card/mobo. I spent all last night trying to figure out what it was until I noticed after every new Windows install...everything would function even when installing the mobo disk contents but the second I got to the graphics drivers the computer would do the above. I install the drivers and it asks if I want to restart, yes I do, and as it is loading the screen goes black and hangs and it does it over and over again every time I reset. I loaded up into Safe Mode and went to the Programs list and specifically uninstalled JUST the graphics driver...sure enough the computer boots fine and I go into my desktop as if nothing happened.

    The drivers on the disk do it, and of course I thought I would grab the latest ones(301.42) from their website but to no avail as it still won't work. Once again I uninstall only the graphics drivers and poof everything is A-okay. @_@ I just want to play Diablo 3 T_T

    What can I do?

    Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU: i5 3570k
    GPU: EVGA GTX 670
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8G
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
  6. snokin said:
    This is happening to me as we speak with my EVGA GTX 670, I thought I had done something wrong or maybe I had a defunct video card/mobo. I spent all last night trying to figure out what it was until I noticed after every new Windows install...everything would function even when installing the mobo disk contents but the second I got to the graphics drivers the computer would do the above. I install the drivers and it asks if I want to restart, yes I do, and as it is loading the screen goes black and hangs and it does it over and over again every time I reset. I loaded up into Safe Mode and went to the Programs list and specifically uninstalled JUST the graphics driver...sure enough the computer boots fine and I go into my desktop as if nothing happened.

    The drivers on the disk do it, and of course I thought I would grab the latest ones(301.42) from their website but to no avail as it still won't work. Once again I uninstall only the graphics drivers and poof everything is A-okay. @_@ I just want to play Diablo 3 T_T

    What can I do?

    Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU: i5 3570k
    GPU: EVGA GTX 670
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8G
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB


    ON June 30 there will be a new driver update that may fix your problem.

    If anything you can just do a cross shipment RMA. I did it with my gtx 670.

    Basically they ship you a new 670 before you ship back your old one!
  7. Make sure that you check the box for "Perform a Clean Install" when you install the 301.42 drivers.
  8. @ andyschu & snokin

    Sounds like you both have bad a card.

    I had the same problem with one of my EVGA 670s, I recommend you do an RMA.

    This is not a software problem (driver) it is a hardware problem. The reason why your computer is booting fine without the driver is because without the driver the graphics card is disabled.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Graphics