Your question

GTX 670 Driver Issue

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2012 11:37:25 PM

I recently built a new computer, all of the parts other than the graphics card arrived early so I put them together and used the on board graphics. The next day the GTX 670 arrived so I installed it and installed the graphics driver from the nVidia website version 301.34. It worked great for a little while.

The next day the computer would get to the windows screen but would just go to a black screen after that and just hang there and would never start.

I reinstalled windows and updated all of the drivers other than the graphics driver. At this point it rebooted perfectly. I installed the graphics drivers and the computer would hang again and not start. I restored a previous version of windows and installed the graphics driver from the disc that came with the 670. The same thing happened.

Today I installed windows and it would start up just fine. The first thing I installed was the graphics driver and the same thing happened, it would hang after the initial windows screen and never start.

I found the following on nVidia.com at:
http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.34/301.34-win...

There is a part that talks about win7 64-bit known issues
"The System hangs and does not post after reboot during driver installation if a DisplayPort 1.2 branch device is connected to the DisplayPort connecter"
This sounds like the problem I am having but I don't have anything in the display port

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try or how I can fix this issue? Anything would help because I am out of ideas. Hopefully I am just making some stupid mistake because it has been quite a while since I built my last computer.

Comp Specs:
win7 64-bit
i5-2500k
ASUS p8z77 pro
evga GTX 670
Seasonic x750
8gb G.Skill pc1600
Corsair 650D
Crucial M4 128gb

More about : gtx 670 driver issue

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 11:51:50 PM

try the latest beta driver
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:47:51 AM

andyschu said:
I recently built a new computer, all of the parts other than the graphics card arrived early so I put them together and used the on board graphics. The next day the GTX 670 arrived so I installed it and installed the graphics driver from the nVidia website version 301.34. It worked great for a little while.

The next day the computer would get to the windows screen but would just go to a black screen after that and just hang there and would never start.

I reinstalled windows and updated all of the drivers other than the graphics driver. At this point it rebooted perfectly. I installed the graphics drivers and the computer would hang again and not start. I restored a previous version of windows and installed the graphics driver from the disc that came with the 670. The same thing happened.

Today I installed windows and it would start up just fine. The first thing I installed was the graphics driver and the same thing happened, it would hang after the initial windows screen and never start.

I found the following on nVidia.com at:
http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/301.34/301.34-win...

There is a part that talks about win7 64-bit known issues
"The System hangs and does not post after reboot during driver installation if a DisplayPort 1.2 branch device is connected to the DisplayPort connecter"
This sounds like the problem I am having but I don't have anything in the display port

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try or how I can fix this issue? Anything would help because I am out of ideas. Hopefully I am just making some stupid mistake because it has been quite a while since I built my last computer.

Comp Specs:
win7 64-bit
i5-2500k
ASUS p8z77 pro
evga GTX 670
Seasonic x750
8gb G.Skill pc1600
Corsair 650D
Crucial M4 128gb

This happens to me too, although not everytime, it does happen, all I do is click the restart button on my case and the computer restarts boots up :) 
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2012 5:30:46 PM

I tried beta version 301.40 but it still does not boot up with the graphics driver installed.
m
l
May 27, 2012 6:27:01 PM

This is happening to me as we speak with my EVGA GTX 670, I thought I had done something wrong or maybe I had a defunct video card/mobo. I spent all last night trying to figure out what it was until I noticed after every new Windows install...everything would function even when installing the mobo disk contents but the second I got to the graphics drivers the computer would do the above. I install the drivers and it asks if I want to restart, yes I do, and as it is loading the screen goes black and hangs and it does it over and over again every time I reset. I loaded up into Safe Mode and went to the Programs list and specifically uninstalled JUST the graphics driver...sure enough the computer boots fine and I go into my desktop as if nothing happened.

The drivers on the disk do it, and of course I thought I would grab the latest ones(301.42) from their website but to no avail as it still won't work. Once again I uninstall only the graphics drivers and poof everything is A-okay. @_@ I just want to play Diablo 3 T_T

What can I do?

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8G
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:24:16 PM

snokin said:
This is happening to me as we speak with my EVGA GTX 670, I thought I had done something wrong or maybe I had a defunct video card/mobo. I spent all last night trying to figure out what it was until I noticed after every new Windows install...everything would function even when installing the mobo disk contents but the second I got to the graphics drivers the computer would do the above. I install the drivers and it asks if I want to restart, yes I do, and as it is loading the screen goes black and hangs and it does it over and over again every time I reset. I loaded up into Safe Mode and went to the Programs list and specifically uninstalled JUST the graphics driver...sure enough the computer boots fine and I go into my desktop as if nothing happened.

The drivers on the disk do it, and of course I thought I would grab the latest ones(301.42) from their website but to no avail as it still won't work. Once again I uninstall only the graphics drivers and poof everything is A-okay. @_@ I just want to play Diablo 3 T_T

What can I do?

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: EVGA GTX 670
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8G
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

ON June 30 there will be a new driver update that may fix your problem.

If anything you can just do a cross shipment RMA. I did it with my gtx 670.

Basically they ship you a new 670 before you ship back your old one!
m
l
a c 670 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:35:59 PM

Make sure that you check the box for "Perform a Clean Install" when you install the 301.42 drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 9:03:58 PM

@ andyschu & snokin

Sounds like you both have bad a card.

I had the same problem with one of my EVGA 670s, I recommend you do an RMA.

This is not a software problem (driver) it is a hardware problem. The reason why your computer is booting fine without the driver is because without the driver the graphics card is disabled.
m
l
!