Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS GTX 670 vs Gigabyte vs gainward vs MSI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 18, 2012 11:55:15 PM

Hi guys can someone help me please? Im putting together a Gaming PC with a intel i5-2500k processor, MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) Intel Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard, 8gb RipJaw Memory, Zalman Z11 Plus case, and 500GB hard drive. The problem is ill be ordering it all next monday/tuesday and i dont know what GPU to buy there is 4 i want to choose from unless there is a better option you know of.

http://www.ebuyer.com/370292-asus-gtx670-dc2-2gd5-direc...

I know this ASUS is supposedly quiet and very cool but ive never had one before and dont know if they are reliable or if it will fit on my Motherboard.

http://www.ebuyer.com/368521-gainward-gtx-670-2gb-gddr5...

I know the Gainward is supposedly a very good make and reliable but again ive never had 1 and i dont know if the cooling will be good with it only having 1 fan or if it will be worth the money when for the same price i can get a OC card with a better base clock.

http://www.ebuyer.com/368520-gigabyte-gv-n670oc-2gd-gv-...

I know most people love gigabyte and obviously it will be very very good at staying cool with 3 fans and good OC potential that ive seen go past the GTX 680 GPU

http://www.ebuyer.com/368329-msi-gtx-670-2gb-gddr5-dual...

This was my first choice from the look of it the base clock is the highest and will give the best performance i think but it only has 1 fan and i dont know if MSI cards stay cool or are good for OC'ing.


I need a GPU that is obviously fast and will stay well in the range of being cool i dont really want to waste over £300 on something that will overheat, break easily like my last 2 GPU's and out of this bunch i want the best i could but so i know im getting my moneys worth. :) 
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:22:54 AM

ASUS Direct CU II Top is the best GTX 670 it is the first Graphics card to get a perfect ten score from TechPowerUp. It is extremely quiet and overclocks well. I will personally be getting myself as soon as I can find one here.

Quote:
Yes, you've seen correctly, the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP is the first graphics card ever that I gave a perfect ten score. The stock GeForce GTX 670 provides already great performance, but ASUS has topped that by boosting it with a large overclock out of the box which catapults it beyond GTX 680 performance levels. Averaged over all our testing we see the card 1% faster than GTX 680 and 8% faster than GTX 670. The card does so without massive power consumption increase thanks to an efficient VRM design and low temperatures. ASUS has done away with NVIDIA's cheap voltage regulation circuitry and put a much better CHiL controller on the card, which also supports voltage control and monitoring.
The ASUS DC II cooler is a revelation on the GTX 670, it provides incredibly low noise levels. In both idle and load the card emits almost no noise, it is actually quieter under full load than most other cards on the market are at idle. Not only noise is low but temperatures are great, too. With only 74°C under load the card is cooler than most other GTX 670 cards tested today.
Manual overclocking works well too, especially memory, which is not overclocked out of the box, performs exceedingly well. We see well over 100 MHz extra memory overclocking potential compared to the NVIDIA reference design, thanks to the revamped PCB design. In the end the card reaches 1890 MHz memory, which is just 5 MHz shy of the highest memory clock ever recorded in a TPU review.
Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested. I simply can't find anything wrong with it. ASUS has sucessfully addressed all the shortcomings of NVIDIA's reference design, yet asks only a moderate $20 price premium for their card. This means that you can get faster than GTX 680 performance at $420.
Related resources
May 19, 2012 12:36:57 AM

Ironslice said:
To be honest, none of them.

Go with EVGA: http://www.ebuyer.com/368650-evga-nvidia-gtx670-915mhz-...

I don't really know about Europe but in the US EVGA has by far the best customer service.

I would of had EVGA but the last few GPU's ive had from them have not lasted a month a peice thats why im trying to find something diffirent but still asgood
May 19, 2012 12:38:07 AM

Helltech said:
ASUS Direct CU II Top is the best GTX 670 it is the first Graphics card to get a perfect ten score from TechPowerUp. It is extremely quiet and overclocks well. I will personally be getting myself as soon as I can find one here.

Quote:
Yes, you've seen correctly, the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II TOP is the first graphics card ever that I gave a perfect ten score. The stock GeForce GTX 670 provides already great performance, but ASUS has topped that by boosting it with a large overclock out of the box which catapults it beyond GTX 680 performance levels. Averaged over all our testing we see the card 1% faster than GTX 680 and 8% faster than GTX 670. The card does so without massive power consumption increase thanks to an efficient VRM design and low temperatures. ASUS has done away with NVIDIA's cheap voltage regulation circuitry and put a much better CHiL controller on the card, which also supports voltage control and monitoring.
The ASUS DC II cooler is a revelation on the GTX 670, it provides incredibly low noise levels. In both idle and load the card emits almost no noise, it is actually quieter under full load than most other cards on the market are at idle. Not only noise is low but temperatures are great, too. With only 74°C under load the card is cooler than most other GTX 670 cards tested today.
Manual overclocking works well too, especially memory, which is not overclocked out of the box, performs exceedingly well. We see well over 100 MHz extra memory overclocking potential compared to the NVIDIA reference design, thanks to the revamped PCB design. In the end the card reaches 1890 MHz memory, which is just 5 MHz shy of the highest memory clock ever recorded in a TPU review.
Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested. I simply can't find anything wrong with it. ASUS has sucessfully addressed all the shortcomings of NVIDIA's reference design, yet asks only a moderate $20 price premium for their card. This means that you can get faster than GTX 680 performance at $420.

Is the ASUS i have linked the GPU you are talking about or is there a special edition i havent seen yet that you are talking about? becouse this is the only ASUS i can find

http://www.ebuyer.com/370292-asus-gtx670-dc2-2gd5-direc...
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:47:02 AM

I believe it is the one you linked, the picture isn't showing up but its says "direct cooling 2" so I think its the same one. I havn't seen any other asus models made.
May 19, 2012 12:52:38 AM

Helltech said:
I believe it is the one you linked, the picture isn't showing up but its says "direct cooling 2" so I think its the same one. I havn't seen any other asus models made.

Ok thanks a friend suggested it for me, ive never had ASUS but i do know they are BIG cards do you think it will fit in my motherboard easy? keep in mind that underneath i will be using a wireless internet connecter
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:53:12 AM

LvSLoLo said:
I would of had EVGA but the last few GPU's ive had from them have not lasted a month a peice thats why im trying to find something diffirent but still asgood


Let me tell you something, When the Gtx 670's came out I was one of the first to order them, i ordered the EVGA gtx 670 and got it the following week. I had the first batch of cards.

I have 0 issues with it and it runs perfectly fine, EVGA has the best customer service, so if you get a defective card they will send you a better one than you paid for. My friend got a deffective 670 sc and they gave him a FTW edition.

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:55:26 AM

LvSLoLo said:
Ok thanks a friend suggested it for me, ive never had ASUS but i do know they are BIG cards do you think it will fit in my motherboard easy? keep in mind that underneath i will be using a wireless internet connecter


No that's not true, on the GTX 670 they made it a double slot card, not a triple slot.
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 12:56:46 AM

maxh22 said:
Let me tell you something, When the Gtx 670's came out I was one of the first to order them, i ordered the EVGA gtx 670 and got it the following week. I had the first batch of cards.

I have 0 issues with it and it runs perfectly fine, EVGA has the best customer service, so if you get a defective card they will send you a better one than you paid for. My friend got a deffective 670 sc and they gave him a FTW edition.


Look, I have EVGA cards, they do have great customer service. Ive had these since 2008, still kicking strong. But they are just reference cards. Reference cards are all the same, it doesn't matter if its EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, its all the same if its a reference cards. Where companies stand out is where their non-reference cards come into play. EVGA has never been big on this, however yes they have great customer service, I've dealt with them many times. When it comes to aftermarket coolers and getting really good air cards you can't beat Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS. Especially ASUS GTX 670 its actually legendary if you look at the different reviews.
May 19, 2012 1:00:02 AM

maxh22 said:
Let me tell you something, When the Gtx 670's came out I was one of the first to order them, i ordered the EVGA gtx 670 and got it the following week. I had the first batch of cards.

I have 0 issues with it and it runs perfectly fine, EVGA has the best customer service, so if you get a defective card they will send you a better one than you paid for. My friend got a deffective 670 sc and they gave him a FTW edition.

Cool but i had 2 GTX 560TI and both of them broke in the end i had a refund becouse i was sick of the hastle
May 19, 2012 1:01:06 AM

Helltech said:
No that's not true, on the GTX 670 they made it a double slot card, not a triple slot.

Ahhh ok thanks i was just worried because of the side of the last few cards they have made, i only foundout about this GPU maybe 2 hours ago when it popped up on ebuyer :) 
May 19, 2012 1:02:55 AM

Sry i meant size but it wont let me edit the text
May 19, 2012 1:18:19 AM

Helltech said:
Yeah usually they do triple slot coolers, but on this they used a two slot.

http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670...

Ahh ok thanks i was just worried becouse at the bottom of the description it says........ To have the best cooling performance, ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 extends the fansink to 2 slots. Please double check you Chassis and Motherboard dimension prior to purchase to make sure it fits in your system!
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 1:46:47 AM

LvSLoLo said:
Ahh ok thanks i was just worried becouse at the bottom of the description it says........ To have the best cooling performance, ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 extends the fansink to 2 slots. Please double check you Chassis and Motherboard dimension prior to purchase to make sure it fits in your system!


Its talking about how long the card is.
May 19, 2012 1:55:38 AM

Helltech said:
Its talking about how long the card is.

Ok ty, my case accepts any up to 290mm so it should be fine
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 2:36:27 AM

Helltech said:
Look, I have EVGA cards, they do have great customer service. Ive had these since 2008, still kicking strong. But they are just reference cards. Reference cards are all the same, it doesn't matter if its EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, its all the same if its a reference cards. Where companies stand out is where their non-reference cards come into play. EVGA has never been big on this, however yes they have great customer service, I've dealt with them many times. When it comes to aftermarket coolers and getting really good air cards you can't beat Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS. Especially ASUS GTX 670 its actually legendary if you look at the different reviews.


You are correct on that, but what happens when your aftermarket cooled card breaks? And you have to go through this large hassle just to get a replacement?

it may take weeks to months.

Anyway I don't think cooling matters too much anyway I use to have a gtx 560 ti twin frozr editon from MSI.

Either way no matter how cool your card is within a few years you are going to replace it ( unless its 90 degrees or over)

Yes you have some greater overclocking potential but for the same money you could just get a better card.

And Gigabyte had some bad customer service they wouldn't want to replace my card :??: 
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 2:40:42 AM

Large hassle? Its not a large hassle, my friend has had a Direct CU card replaced before, no big deal. At all. What do you mean same money better card? EVGA only has reference cards (sans waterblock cards), they are not BETTER cards. They are stock nVidia cards that EVGA slaps their label on. All reference cards no matter the company are the exact same card, its just a Nvidia stock card.
May 19, 2012 2:44:54 AM

its true that evga only does reference design cards, i dont know why but they do. that means their cards are no different then other brand reference cards. its like if i had bought a pack of pencils and gave one to one friend and another to another friend and they both put their names on the pencil. its still the same pencil just with different "logos" on it. thats how reference cards work. when it comes to reference cards all the matters is the accessories you get and the warranty backing it up and that's really all EVGA has going for them. their step-up program is amazing. id rather get a better aftermarket cooled card anyday of the week. they perform better, are quieter, overclock better, and no they are NOT hard to get replaced either I've had it done on a gigabyte windforce card that came DOA. they replaced it and sent it within 3 days of them having it.
a c 84 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 8:40:17 AM

asus dc ii top is best.:) 
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 4:57:20 PM

Helltech said:
Large hassle? Its not a large hassle, my friend has had a Direct CU card replaced before, no big deal. At all. What do you mean same money better card? EVGA only has reference cards (sans waterblock cards), they are not BETTER cards. They are stock nVidia cards that EVGA slaps their label on. All reference cards no matter the company are the exact same card, its just a Nvidia stock card.


They have overlclocked editions: SC, SC +, Ftw edition etc,
May 19, 2012 6:54:56 PM

How about the gainward GTX 670 Phantom? or the palit GTX 670 jetstream?
May 31, 2012 4:57:34 PM

Asus 670 DirectCUII or Gigabyte N670OC. I have the Gigabyte myself, and it's extremely impressive; cool & quiet, although the Asus may be marginally quieter. The important thing is that they are both excellent custom cooling designs that make virtually no noise at all and keep the card running really cool. Forget EVGA.
November 8, 2012 1:41:46 AM

Helltech said:
Look, I have EVGA cards, they do have great customer service. Ive had these since 2008, still kicking strong. But they are just reference cards. Reference cards are all the same, it doesn't matter if its EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, its all the same if its a reference cards. Where companies stand out is where their non-reference cards come into play. EVGA has never been big on this, however yes they have great customer service, I've dealt with them many times. When it comes to aftermarket coolers and getting really good air cards you can't beat Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS. Especially ASUS GTX 670 its actually legendary if you look at the different reviews.

They use the 680s reference cooler, making it a bit better.
July 7, 2014 5:37:30 PM

Gainward is the way i have a GTX 660 and i have oc'ed it to beat a GTX 760 in GPixels/s and Texture Rate
!