Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building new Gaming system

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 1:08:49 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: in about a month from now

Budget Range: 500-750

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mainly mmo's i.e. - tera / wow / GW2 / C9 / D3)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but it's not to be included in the budget for the build. I have one I can use until I can afford a better one.

I basically am building one from the ground up. I have done many builds in the past for myself, family and friends, but figured I would get some outside advice than my own on this one just for extra measure. This is going to be my main computer mainly used for gaming. I'm don't need something that is extremely over the top, but I would like to be able to run most MMO's in extreme conditions on max.

( If I would have to sacrifice the proc or gfx card, it can wait.) SSD: I would like a decent one to put the OS and games on, but thats pretty much it. I would really only need a 500gb HDD for storage, I won't be putting much on it.

You can leave out peripherals as well. i.e. - mouse, speakers, keyboard, ect. I work at BB and can get those pretty cheap, and I have some generic ones I can use till I can get some better ones at a later time.

So in short, this is just info/suggested builds I would like on a core build( just the tower), what you think the best option is, for that price range.

More about : building gaming system

a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2012 1:10:46 AM

Click the link in my signature to get some ideas about what you should be looking at.
July 12, 2012 1:14:12 AM

How well does the 6870 compare to something like the 560 ti? and with the new ati 7xxx series out, wouldnt something like that be worth looking into?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2012 1:21:38 AM

The 6950 is equal to a 560 TI, the 6870 is worse than the 6950 is.

However, to get a 560 TI or 6950 level card may require sacrificing too much in other areas.

Get all the rest of the parts listed and see how much you have left to spend on a video card and decide that way.

It would be nice if you could fit a really good video card in the computer, but for most people its not in their budget range.

Maybe if you can stretch to like $850 or so then the more powerful cards will be on the table, but with amounts less its hard to get quality components and $200+ cards at the same time.

Ideally, the video card won't be more than 25% of the budget for low priced systems.
July 12, 2012 3:31:23 AM

you dont think theres a processor thats a little less expensive thats newer out right now thats equal to the sandy bridge i5? maybe an amd?
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2012 5:07:00 AM

For gaming, nothing AMD has will beat an i5 or i3.

They may be able to get close enough, but they are still quite handicapped.

If you really want a 560 TI, then I would drop down to an Intel G series processor instead of going to AMD.
July 12, 2012 1:45:10 PM

wouldn't i end up bottlenecking the graphics card with something that low?

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2012 3:12:59 PM

In my link the suggestions are

i3-2120 + HD 6850

and

i5-2400 + HD 6870

and

i5-2500k + 560 TI

and

i5-2500k + 6970

I haven't updated the link in a while so maybe the budgets are a tad bit easier on each one. On a good day you might be able to get the 2400 + 560 TI without seriously busting the $800.

Anyway, those pairings represent well balanced setups that aren't heavily weighted towards either the processor or video card. Leaning one way or the other hurts some games and benefits others.

Increasing the video card budget at the expense of the processor budget would help a lot in most single player games that don't have a lot of entities that need to be tracked. Stuff like Skyrim, Amalur: Reckoning, BF3 single player mode, and stuff like that.

Weighting toward the processor would benefit the other sort of games, like MMORPGs where you are doing 100 person raids, BF3 with 64 people multiplayer, Starcraft with huge battles, and so on.

If you aim for the middle, though, generally you will get reasonable performance in any kind of game so that is what most people suggest doing, myself included.

Bottleneck the computer with G series + 560 TI - It wouldn't be that much if you were playing the sorts of games that are listed above under leaning towards the video card. Something like 64 player multiplayer BF3 maps would absolutely crush this setup, though.

Generally speaking the hierarchy during gaming for processors goes something like this:
Super expensive processors from Intel
Sandy Bridge i5s
Sandy Bridge i3s
Intel G Series Processors
High numbered AMD Phenom x4s
Everything else from AMD

There are a lot of reasons for that which I don't really want to get into, but if you look up benchmarks they should bear that out pretty well.

Aside from ultra low end G processors (like G5xx types) most all of them beat even AMDs best processors. The mid range G6xx types are quite a bit better than that, but if you had one of the serious G processors like a G850 the difference between that and an i3-2120 wouldn't be that much in terms of bottlenecking.

I wouldn't suggest pairing an Intel G series processor with, say, a GTX 680 or anything, but for the kind of cards we are talking about (in the 560 TI range or so) the amount of bottlenecking between the i3 and the G850 would be pretty minimal.

If you could manage to squeeze in an i3-2120 + 560 TI there would be pretty much zero bottlenecking and with the G850 it would be maybe like 1%.

However, I would try to squeeze in at least an i5-2400 if you can, the benefits when you do everything else other than gaming are pretty huge and the gaming standard is now to have 4 cores and more games in the future are going to start being built with that as the expectation.

Anyway, if it makes a difference, I have seen an Intel G series processor paired with a GTX 470 with heavy OCing and seen it play games (Skyrim, I know a guy with that setup RL) and there didn't seem to be any performance issues. The 470 OCd is at least as powerful if moreso as compared to a baseline 560 TI.
July 15, 2012 7:25:18 AM

Best answer selected by benftf.
!