What's a optimal temperatures for i7-3770K

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm curious if I have to reseat or reapply thermal paste on my heatsink. CPU temps are in the 40s (Celsius).

* I have the CM Hyper 212+
* i7-3770K (not overclocked)
* My system has it at 3.6GHZ
* Thermal Paste: IC Diamond
* Full tower: CM HAF 932

* I put a pea sized (large pea) amount on the CPU. I'm thinking I should clean it off and do crop lines in between the heat pipes but I read that IC Diamond is different than Arctic Silver 5 and should only use pea size. My wife said that it looks I put a lot so a lot is better than less :)

How do I know the heatsink is sitting snug? I dont tighten it just so I hear a crunching sound! I relooked at the instructions and it doesn't say how many turns . I didn't force it, but when the screw was giving me resistance I immediately stopped.

* I went by this website and read the sticky up top:

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Should I monitor the temps since I just put it on last night and only had my system on for a few hours?

Solution
The pea method is not great since it spread out in a circle, so the edges and corners are not covered. The line method covers a lot more of the CPU. Those idle temps are a bit high. On my i5-3570K with AS5 and a Hyper 212 EVO (same thing as a 212+, but 2C cooler), I get 30-35C. I think the heat sink may not be sitting snug. Turn all the screws, a little bit until you feel a good amount of resistance.

obsama1

Distinguished
The pea method is not great since it spread out in a circle, so the edges and corners are not covered. The line method covers a lot more of the CPU. Those idle temps are a bit high. On my i5-3570K with AS5 and a Hyper 212 EVO (same thing as a 212+, but 2C cooler), I get 30-35C. I think the heat sink may not be sitting snug. Turn all the screws, a little bit until you feel a good amount of resistance.

Solution

cbrunnem

Distinguished

You realize this is an i7 not an i5 so temps aren't comparable. Just checking.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I read that IC Diamond shouldnt be used to make lines because it's denser and thicker. Plus, I thought the area that MUST be covered is the center part of the CPU since that's where the heat is mostly generated.....or am I wrong? I've had my system on for a few hours, Im going to check to see what the temps are.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hmmm, I went into Asus Suite; monitoring; temps.....perhaps I was judging too soon. Yesterday, when I was looking at the CPU temp, it was just when I plugged in and turned on system. After 6 hrs yesterday, and 3 hrs today so far, the temp monitor on Asus suite is showing 34 degrees celsius, not 45.