Error after taking photo.. Canon EOS 300D

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 13, 2005 2:34:33 AM

Hello,

My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.

We are both novices when it comes to digital SLRs so I was curious if
this could be an obvious sign of something wrong? Lens problem? CF card
problem? Can the firmware be upgraded on this model camera?

Thanks and Regards,
Matt
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:25:48 AM

mattcarpenter@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
>
> We are both novices when it comes to digital SLRs so I was curious if
> this could be an obvious sign of something wrong? Lens problem? CF card
> problem? Can the firmware be upgraded on this model camera?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Just a shot in the dark ... is the lens coming from a "normal" EOS? When I
went digital one of the lenses gave me errors (error 99) when taking a
picture. Turned out tate the lens was "too old" to work on the SLR ...

--
Wir mailen uns ... Hans
Anonymous

> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
Was the flash in use? I've had problems the battery is nearly flat, then
you take a shot , and the low battery trip circuit comes in as the flash
unit recharges.. Without the flash on ( sometimes used as fill flash etc)
the camera wil shoot another 40 or 50 shots.. If there's a number after the
ERR then its almost certainly a lens problem , it was designed before the
camera, and needs a rechip.
August 13, 2005 12:55:18 PM

"traction" <traction@nospam.today.com> wrote in message
>> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
>> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
>> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
>> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
> Was the flash in use? I've had problems the battery is nearly flat, then
> you take a shot , and the low battery trip circuit comes in as the flash
> unit recharges.. Without the flash on ( sometimes used as fill flash etc)
> the camera wil shoot another 40 or 50 shots.. If there's a number after
> the ERR then its almost certainly a lens problem , it was designed before
> the camera, and needs a rechip.

Canon EF lenses work on all EOS digital bodies without rechipping. Many
older third party lenses may have problems communicating with the body, and
if still supported by their maker can be rechipped.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:38:16 PM

I had a recent err99 on my 300D, it was down to a jammed shutter. Freed it
off, OK now.
CW

"traction" <traction@nospam.today.com> wrote in message
>> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
>> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
>> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
>> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
> Was the flash in use? I've had problems the battery is nearly flat, then
> you take a shot , and the low battery trip circuit comes in as the flash
> unit recharges.. Without the flash on ( sometimes used as fill flash etc)
> the camera wil shoot another 40 or 50 shots.. If there's a number after
> the ERR then its almost certainly a lens problem , it was designed before
> the camera, and needs a rechip.

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:38:17 PM

Cedders wrote:

> I had a recent err99 on my 300D, it was down to a jammed shutter. Freed it
> off, OK now.
> CW

Please do not top post. It is bad newsgroup etiquette.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:58:10 PM

In article <1123911273.719889.138060@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
mattcarpenter@gmail.com wrote:

> My friend recently aquired a Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D, however he
> says that after he takes a photo, the camera will display "Err" (with
> no number after it) and it will not allow him to take another photo
> until he reboots the camera. The photo saves fine to the CF card.
>
> We are both novices when it comes to digital SLRs so I was curious if
> this could be an obvious sign of something wrong? Lens problem? CF card
> problem? Can the firmware be upgraded on this model camera?

Matt-

There is one firmware update that I know of, but that is probably not your
problem. There is definitely something wrong.

Someone else mentioned a battery problem. You might need a new battery.
If there was a bad cell, it might appear to charge up OK, but drop voltage
soon after you start using it. Of course you could buy a new battery and
find that the problem is something else. If there was a nearby camera
store, they might let you try one of their demo camera's batteries, and
sell you a new one if theirs fixed your problem.

There are electrical contacts between the lens and the body. You might
wipe them off with a clean lint-free cloth. Take care not to get any lint
or dust inside the body!

As someone suggested, there are non-Canon lenses that aren't compatible
with newer bodies. If that is your situation, see if that nearby camera
store will let you try a Canon lens.

If the problem is the CF card, try removing it and reinstalling, in case
there was a loose connection. Otherwise, try another one.

I suggest you solve this problem before applying the firmware update at
the Canon website. If something went wrong during the upgrade, it could
make things much worse!

Fred
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:03:26 AM

But it's so much fun to watch individuals get their panties in a bunch over
top-posting.

"Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Cedders wrote:
>
>> I had a recent err99 on my 300D, it was down to a jammed shutter. Freed
>> it
>> off, OK now.
>> CW
>
> Please do not top post. It is bad newsgroup etiquette.

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:06:18 PM

Mark,
I've never understood that either. :-)