Is this Power Supply worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nkolodziej

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I'm working on this build, just gotta buy the CPU and Power Supply. I saw this deal (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1554174&CatId=2533), has awesome reviews and it's got plenty of power for my build. I don't like that this (http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx) rates it so low though. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with Ultra PSUs? Here's my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Agility 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 ($33.99)
Total: $816.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 13:49 EST-0500)

Solution
There are a few reasons why that Ultra PSU is ranked so low, it is an old design, probably 6 years old at this point because it is packing a passive PFC, is low efficiency(probably only ~70%), and only has a listed capacity on its 12V rails of a good 600 W unit, in reality at load temperatures it will probably only be able to give you about 500 W of power before somethings goes out of spec, but because most systems don't need more than that and you average user can't tell unless something is about 400% outside of spec people still rate it well even if it is bad.

Most tiger direct sold ultra units are old bad ones, similar to the cooler master extreme power plus series, they are cheap and look real good for the price but you are getting...
There are a few reasons why that Ultra PSU is ranked so low, it is an old design, probably 6 years old at this point because it is packing a passive PFC, is low efficiency(probably only ~70%), and only has a listed capacity on its 12V rails of a good 600 W unit, in reality at load temperatures it will probably only be able to give you about 500 W of power before somethings goes out of spec, but because most systems don't need more than that and you average user can't tell unless something is about 400% outside of spec people still rate it well even if it is bad.

Most tiger direct sold ultra units are old bad ones, similar to the cooler master extreme power plus series, they are cheap and look real good for the price but you are getting exactly what you paid for which isn't much. When it is going to cost you significantly less than a CX430V2 from corsair, you should expect to get significantly less... I would go for that XFX unit you have in your partpicker list.

Solution

Nkolodziej

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Thanks a lot hunter315. I'm definetly just getting the XFX one, XFX is a great company and by the time I get that rebate I'll have forgot about it and be stuck with a bad power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.