Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacing gpu fans

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2012 5:12:23 PM

hi, so after buying a new sound card, i went a few days without noticing my front panel connector was blocking my middle fan (gigabyte windforce x3 cooler)... and now the fan is whining like crazy, and creating a less pleasurable experience

so i was wondering, if i pick up a $5 80mm fan like such http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX27657 would i risk burning it out? due to it being a different design and thus specs, or should i replace all three fans with the same model fan? (or just leave it on a really low fan profile hehe)

More about : replacing gpu fans

Best solution

November 22, 2012 8:40:21 PM

I would just go replace all three fans. Also how long is the heatsink? I'm assuming the 80mm fan wont cover the entire heatsink, which is why I recommend buying the three individual fans. However if two 80mm fans cover the entire heatsink then I would go for 2 of those fans if you can manage to mount it and secure it without it being loose.
November 22, 2012 11:47:44 PM

Best answer selected by nna2.
m
l
November 22, 2012 11:47:45 PM

socialfox said:
I would just go replace all three fans. Also how long is the heatsink? I'm assuming the 80mm fan wont cover the entire heatsink, which is why I recommend buying the three individual fans. However if two 80mm fans cover the entire heatsink then I would go for 2 of those fans if you can manage to mount it and secure it without it being loose.

yeah, i went ahead and tried attaching an 80MM fan i had laying around, unfortunately it's too tall and runs into my sound card, and the connector is a bit smaller than normal (which is easy enough to get around)
m
l
!