Add-ons (advice plz)

Hi Guys,

I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
(link?) and why?

My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.

Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?

cu soon in WoW :o)

Walt
49 answers Last reply
More about advice

    Walt wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > ... My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >
    > Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?
    >
    > Walt

    Just keep in mind that the Druid does not play the same in WoW as it
    did in D2/LOD.

    In D2 you used a nice Bonesnap and went to town in Warewolf form and
    were actually pretty powerful DPS-wise. Throw in enough leech, and you
    can fight forever. If anything the spells in D2 were the weaker of the
    Druid abilities.

    In WoW the animal forms are not horrible. You can tank pretty well as a
    Bear. But animal forms don't use your weapon to determine damage at
    all, so you will not be a DPS tour de force. In fact, Druids in WoW are
    mostly Tank-Healers. And if you ever do get a really awesome 2 handed
    Mace late-game, it will be even less reason to switch to animal form
    unless it's for the Armor boost.

    It's a good class, with tons of utility. But don't pick a Druid in WoW
    if all you want to do is rip through stuff like the Warewolf-Druid in
    D2.

    gaf1234567890 wrote:
    > Walt wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> ... My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >>
    >> Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in
    >> Europe?
    >>
    >> Walt
    >

    > Just keep in mind that the Druid does not play the same in WoW as it
    > did in D2/LOD.
    >
    > In D2 you used a nice Bonesnap and went to town in Warewolf form and
    > were actually pretty powerful DPS-wise. Throw in enough leech, and you
    > can fight forever. If anything the spells in D2 were the weaker of the
    > Druid abilities.
    >
    > In WoW the animal forms are not horrible. You can tank pretty well as
    > a Bear. But animal forms don't use your weapon to determine damage at
    > all, so you will not be a DPS tour de force. In fact, Druids in WoW
    > are mostly Tank-Healers. And if you ever do get a really awesome 2
    > handed Mace late-game, it will be even less reason to switch to
    > animal form unless it's for the Armor boost.
    >
    > It's a good class, with tons of utility. But don't pick a Druid in WoW
    > if all you want to do is rip through stuff like the Warewolf-Druid in
    > D2.

    Yeah, I already know the difference between the druids in the different
    games. But thank you anyways. I never really liked the druids in D2 but the
    druids here look very interesting.
    I can assure you that there will be many questions coming up during playing.
    So, your wisdom about druids will be very helpful to me :o)

    BTW I played one week of Europe Beta test. Not a druid though. And no
    character over 16. But that will change soon...

    Walt

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:59:39 +0200, Walt said:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    > (link?) and why?

    I have to vote for

    MonkeyQuest - view quest objectives and collect goals on screen - there is
    no way I could live without it. Blizzard implemented a similar function
    into the game but its nowhere near as useful.

    SellValue - displays what a vendor will pay for an item, useful for when
    you can't decide what to in the event of a full bag and a nother nice pick
    up.

    EquipCompare - pops up what you are currently using / wearing when you
    hover over a wearable or useable item, works in same way as the auction
    house function but anywhere in the game. Good for deciding if you really
    *do* need to roll on an item.

    Gatherer - Shows the locations of mining nodes, herbs and chests that you
    have been to and gathered, so you can check back later to see if they've
    respawned.

    Those are all the ones I use.

    Walt <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at> stared blankly into space for a short
    while before writing:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you
    > recommend (link?) and why?
    >
    > My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >
    > Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in
    > Europe?
    > cu soon in WoW :o)
    >
    > Walt

    I would just play the game vanilla at first, then decide what I thought
    the game needed. There are hundreds of add-ons, and if you ask enough
    people, eventually all of them would be recommended:)

    I'm not on Europe, but I used to play D2 and post to agd. If you're the
    same Walt that also used to post to agd, then I certainly remember you
    :)

    --
    Doc
    Save the Earth, it's the only planet with beer...

    > I would just play the game vanilla at first, then decide what I
    > thought the game needed. There are hundreds of add-ons, and if you
    > ask enough people, eventually all of them would be recommended:)

    Okidoki.

    > I'm not on Europe, but I used to play D2 and post to agd. If you're
    > the same Walt that also used to post to agd, then I certainly
    > remember you :)

    Yeah, it's the same Walt :oD
    And I remember you and lots of others seem to have moved over to WoW...

    Walt

    > And if you ever do get a really awesome 2 handed
    > Mace late-game, it will be even less reason to
    > switch to animal form unless it's for the Armor boost.

    Not true. You're just looking for different things than the warriors
    and paladins.

    Druids in animal forms get mileage out of armor (more so than others),
    increased crit rate, increased attack power and stat bonuses to Str,
    Agi, & Sta. You don't get any use from the base damage or "Chance on
    hit" things.

    In particular, the 2H Maces you'd want are Blanchard's Stout,
    Unyielding Maul, Fist of Omokk and Bonebreaker.

    Regards,
    Noal

    Walt wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    > (link?) and why?
    >
    > My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >
    > Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?
    >
    > cu soon in WoW :o)
    >
    > Walt

    Before you start looking for addons I would recommend that you hit escape
    and venture into the interface options. They have added a few things since
    the beta, most notably the action bars.

    But since you wanted to know about addons I'll give you the ones I use:

    AllInOneInventory
    Turns all your small bags into a single big bag.

    AvailableOnly
    Show only available spells/skills/recipes by default.

    bc_QuestTextFade
    Removes the annoying fade in of quest text.

    CombatStats
    Detailed information about the damage you have done in combat.

    CT_MailMod
    Allows you to send several items at once.

    CT_PartyHealth
    Changes the party frames to my liking.

    CT_PlayerFrame
    Changes the player frame to my liking.

    HideArt
    Remove the ugly gryphons.

    MapCoords
    Displays map coordinates.

    MonkeyQuest
    Displays information about quests and quest objectives in a moveable frame.

    MoveAnything
    Allows you to move any frame in your interface.

    PVPCooldown
    Adds a timer when you're flagged for PVP.

    RangeRecolor
    Recolors the action bar buttons when your selected target is out of range.

    ReagentInfo
    Displays what professions use an item.

    SelfCast
    Smart self targeting.

    TradeSkillFrame
    Improved trade skill frame.

    I play on Aszune by the way and I have both horde and alliance characters.
    :-)

    desktop at home dot se

    <snip>

    > SelfCast
    > Smart self targeting.
    >
    > TradeSkillFrame
    > Improved trade skill frame.

    QuickLoot
    Puts the most relevant part of the loot window right under your cursor.
    Doesn't sound very exciting but when you get used to it you can't live
    without it.

    -Fallout

    "Walt" <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    > (link?) and why?
    >
    > My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >
    > Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?
    >
    > cu soon in WoW :o)
    >
    > Walt

    Check out this site. http://ui.worldofwar.net/

    I use mods for...

    X,Y location
    Quest level
    Remembering where mineral/herb nodes are
    Scanning auction house to get detailed pricing whenever i mouse over an
    item.
    Mod that remembers the last prices I auctioned something for.
    Making the text go fast when receiving a quest.
    "Atlas" which gives you miimaps of most of the instances.

    I used to run cosmos, but found it to have a lot of stuff I didnt need, bugs
    even in the "release" version, and it stopped working after patches. Now I
    just run the individual mods, and I would recommend this to others.

    "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
    > "Walt" <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend (link?)
    >> and why?
    >>
    >> My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >>
    >> Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?
    >>
    >> cu soon in WoW :o)
    >>
    >> Walt
    >
    > Check out this site. http://ui.worldofwar.net/
    >
    > I use mods for...
    >
    > X,Y location
    > Quest level
    > Remembering where mineral/herb nodes are
    > Scanning auction house to get detailed pricing whenever i mouse over an item.
    > Mod that remembers the last prices I auctioned something for.
    > Making the text go fast when receiving a quest.
    > "Atlas" which gives you miimaps of most of the instances.
    >
    > I used to run cosmos, but found it to have a lot of stuff I didnt need, bugs
    > even in the "release" version, and it stopped working after patches. Now I
    > just run the individual mods, and I would recommend this to others.

    Yeah, cosmos does still have a lot of bugs in the release version, but the alpha
    version works great (and they made it so errors don't pop up the annoying
    message box anymore)

    Desktop wrote:
    > Walt wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >> (link?) and why?
    >>
    >> My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >>
    >> Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in
    >> Europe?
    >>
    >> cu soon in WoW :o)
    >>
    >> Walt
    >
    > Before you start looking for addons I would recommend that you hit
    > escape and venture into the interface options. They have added a few
    > things since the beta, most notably the action bars.
    >
    > But since you wanted to know about addons I'll give you the ones I
    > use:
    >
    > AllInOneInventory
    > Turns all your small bags into a single big bag.
    >
    > AvailableOnly
    > Show only available spells/skills/recipes by default.
    >
    > bc_QuestTextFade
    > Removes the annoying fade in of quest text.
    >
    > CombatStats
    > Detailed information about the damage you have done in combat.
    >
    > CT_MailMod
    > Allows you to send several items at once.
    >
    > CT_PartyHealth
    > Changes the party frames to my liking.
    >
    > CT_PlayerFrame
    > Changes the player frame to my liking.
    >
    > HideArt
    > Remove the ugly gryphons.
    >
    > MapCoords
    > Displays map coordinates.
    >
    > MonkeyQuest
    > Displays information about quests and quest objectives in a moveable
    > frame.
    >
    > MoveAnything
    > Allows you to move any frame in your interface.
    >
    > PVPCooldown
    > Adds a timer when you're flagged for PVP.
    >
    > RangeRecolor
    > Recolors the action bar buttons when your selected target is out of
    > range.
    >
    > ReagentInfo
    > Displays what professions use an item.
    >
    > SelfCast
    > Smart self targeting.
    >
    > TradeSkillFrame
    > Improved trade skill frame.
    >
    > I play on Aszune by the way and I have both horde and alliance
    > characters. :-)
    >
    > desktop at home dot se

    The population is medium on Aszune. Sounds like a good option. I already
    created an account. Just waiting for the end of the installation...

    Hope to see you soon :o)

    Walt

    Walt wrote:
    > Desktop wrote:
    >>
    >> I play on Aszune by the way and I have both horde and alliance
    >> characters. :-)
    >>
    >> desktop at home dot se
    >
    > The population is medium on Aszune. Sounds like a good option. I
    > already created an account. Just waiting for the end of the
    > installation...
    >
    > Hope to see you soon :o)
    >
    > Walt

    Main alliance characters:
    Rockogrande level 53 dwarf hunter
    Nazgûl level 22 human mage

    Main horde characters:
    Voorhees level 52 undead rogue

    And lots of lower level characters I don't play anymore!

    desktop at home dot se

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:59:39 +0200, Walt wrote:

    > Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?

    Yes. but I play on one of the German servers. Khaz'goroth, which is
    actually a fairly friendly server with a more mature audience (but that's
    relative in WoW). However, I play on the Aliiance side, and don't have the
    time/motivation to take another character to level sixty.

    As for add-ons, well, I'd recommend to *not* use Cosmos or any package.
    Head over to the mods section at curse-gaming.com and look through the
    available add-ons. Just get those that sound useful to you, and try to keep
    the numer reasonable. That way, you'll have the least troubles.

    Mods I personally use and recommend are MapCoords, QuestLevel, QuickLoot,
    RedOut, Reputation, SimpleMail, Gatherer, Auctioneer, BuffTimers, Recap, CT
    Raid Assistant. CTRA is something for later in your gaming career. :) Recap
    is fancy and should appeal to you as a former D2 player (we like numbers!).
    If you play a healer (which a druid will end up being), CQMC is a nice tool
    to save mana in raids, but don't use that before you're 55 or so, otherwise
    you won't learn to time/interrupt spells manually.

    And get used to the idea that a druid will be a healer in the end-game, and
    nothing else (Molten Core). Unless you have very agreeable guild, people
    won't let you be a feral druid in places like MC (well, doesn't make sense
    there either.). But that's a long way in the future, and talents can be
    changed, so, just have fun. :)

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:04:10 GMT, Desktop wrote:

    > Nazgûl level 22 human mage

    I'm surprised they haven't renamed it yet. Nazgul is one of those
    Tolkien-names that Blizzard seems to not tolerate.

    M.
    --

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:04:10 GMT, Desktop wrote:
    >
    >> Nazgûl level 22 human mage
    >
    > I'm surprised they haven't renamed it yet. Nazgul is one of those
    > Tolkien-names that Blizzard seems to not tolerate.

    Really? I would not continue playing her if they changed the name! She's
    likely to fall victim to "very well known people, characters, places, or
    icons from popular culture and media (i.e. Sangoku, Corum, Jabbathehutt)
    though. :-(

    desktop at home dot se

    "Bother!", said Pooh, as he read Walt <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at>'s latest
    post to alt.games.warcraft.

    >I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >(link?) and why?

    This thread seems to have turned into one of those "post all the addons you
    use" things, and I haven't done so since I rebuilt mine the last time. So
    I'm going to. This isn't really a recommendation, though, this is a
    full-conversion mod, and not really a good place to start out. I think
    it's best to learn the default UI first, figure out what you don't like
    about it, and *then* start changing things.

    The default UI is completely playable, especially for a lower-level
    character.

    AF_Tooltip -- Repositions the tooltip anywhere on screen, etc.
    AllInOneInventory
    Atlas
    Auctioneer
    BankItems -- view your bank vault from anywhere, for any character.
    BeneCast -- Healer's wet dream. spell icons next to party portraits,
    damage-based heals, party notification, etc.
    BuffAhoy -- Spell sequencer. Class-based Paladin Blessings from a single
    repeated keypress.
    CastTime -- show time remaining until a spell finishes, and show how much
    time is lost to damage.
    Chronos -- required for AIOI
    CombatStats -- basic DPS meter
    CooldownCount -- shows time remaining until cooldown in floating numbers on
    the spell button.
    CT_MailMod -- Batch-mail items to another character.
    CT_MasterMod
    CT_QuestLevels
    CT_RaidAssist
    Decursive -- Single-keypress to find debuffs on party or raid members, and
    remove them. Must-have for Paladins.
    DefendYourself -- automatically engage melee attack.
    EquipCompare
    Fetch -- Required for DefendYourself
    FlexBar -- Large numbers of *very* customizable buttons. If you can dream
    it, FlexBar can make it happen.
    Gatherer -- Tracks herbalism/mining nodes
    Gypsy_Shell
    Gypsy_UnitBars -- better Player/Party frames, with numerical display of
    HP/Mana.
    Lootlink -- Item Database
    MobHealth -- attempts to show numerical HP on mobs. Not perfect, but nice.
    MonkeyBuddy -- Config panel for MQ
    MonkeyQuest -- onscreen window for tracking quests and objectives.
    NoxInformationBar -- clock, xp remaining, xp/time, time-to-level, etc.
    Reputation -- better Rep window, including numerical data on rep gains.
    Sea -- Required for Chronos, AIOI
    SortEnchant -- Categorized enchantment list, must-have for enchanters.
    StanceSets -- define weapon combos for stance/shape, and quickly change
    sets.
    TackleBoxSA -- Fishing helper, right-click water to cast, auto-recast after
    loot.
    TradeSkillFrame -- shows info on what can be made with Bank items and
    purchaseable items.
    WeaponQuickSwap -- required for StanceSets
    XUI_Flex
    XUI_Hotbar
    XUI_Shell -- total conversion mod based on Flexbar, erases all the blizzard
    hotbars, gives you movable frames for pet, class, bags, menus, and Flexbar
    configuration for the hotbars.

    Impressive list, no?

    I still need to do some more XUI/Flexbar work, to get the hotbars to switch
    based on Warrior stance or Druid shape.

    Brian
    --
    ICQ#: 68214833 | AIM: LineNoise54
    ..

    "Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    >> SelfCast
    >> Smart self targeting.
    >>
    >> TradeSkillFrame
    >> Improved trade skill frame.
    >
    > QuickLoot
    > Puts the most relevant part of the loot window right under your cursor.
    > Doesn't sound very exciting but when you get used to it you can't live without
    > it.

    Amen. All the other mods mentioned have there benefits, but this one is
    the one single one of the whole bunch that I can't live without. With the
    default loot window way over on the upper left side of the screen, just
    a few days worth of swinging your cursor up their every time you go
    to loot, can bring on incipient carpal tunnel in a hurry. This one is not
    just handy, it's a benefit to your health.
    -Marshall

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:48:14 GMT, Desktop wrote:

    > Really? I would not continue playing her if they changed the name!

    It's just something I gathered from some forum discussions. People were
    upset that their "Nazgul" character had been renamed. There argument was
    that (apparently) the name wasn't invented by Tolkien and has a much longer
    mythological history. But I don't understand the naming policy anyway.
    Names like "Old Drinker" seem fine, for example, and plenty of "kewl" names
    like "Bladeruler" or "Professional Hunter" are tolerated also.

    M.
    --

    Desktop wrote:
    > Michael Vondung wrote:
    >>On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:04:10 GMT, Desktop wrote:
    >>>Nazgûl level 22 human mage
    >>
    >>I'm surprised they haven't renamed it yet. Nazgul is one of those
    >>Tolkien-names that Blizzard seems to not tolerate.
    >
    > Really? I would not continue playing her if they changed the name! She's
    > likely to fall victim to "very well known people, characters, places, or
    > icons from popular culture and media (i.e. Sangoku, Corum, Jabbathehutt)
    > though. :-(

    They won't just jump in and change it, but if you piss someone off
    in-game, and they put in a GM petition about your "inappropriate name",
    it'll get changed. So be nice to everyone. :-)

    Cheers!
    David...

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:59:39 +0200, Walt <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >(link?) and why?
    >
    >My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >
    >Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in Europe?
    >
    >cu soon in WoW :o)
    >
    >Walt

    Hi Walt,

    since noone of my fellow guildies found the time to send you this:

    Come over to the Dark Side! There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc, Horde,
    Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)

    Cheers Kai

    Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:59:39 +0200, Walt <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >> (link?) and why?
    >>
    >> My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >>
    >> Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in
    >> Europe?
    >>
    >> cu soon in WoW :o)
    >>
    >> Walt
    >

    > Hi Walt,
    >
    > since noone of my fellow guildies found the time to send you this:
    >
    > Come over to the Dark Side! There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    > playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    > with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc, Horde,
    > Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)
    >
    > Cheers Kai

    Well, for the moment I am on Aszune which is a PVE server. Thats for getting
    used to the game. Later, I might/will change to Sunstrider. Thank you for
    the invitation.
    I am not quite sure what exactly the difference is between the PVE and PVP
    server. I do not like to be attacked every second. But I will try that soon.

    Walt

    Walt wrote:

    > Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:59:39 +0200, Walt <wbecke@[nospam}.gmx.at>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Guys,
    >>>
    >>>I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >>>(link?) and why?
    >>>
    >>>My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    >>>
    >>>Are there any former D2Lod players out there on PVE servers in
    >>>Europe?
    >>>
    >>>cu soon in WoW :o)
    >>>
    >>>Walt
    >>

    >>Hi Walt,
    >>
    >>since noone of my fellow guildies found the time to send you this:
    >>
    >>Come over to the Dark Side! There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    >>playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    >>with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc, Horde,
    >>Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)
    >>
    >>Cheers Kai
    >

    > Well, for the moment I am on Aszune which is a PVE server. Thats for getting
    > used to the game. Later, I might/will change to Sunstrider. Thank you for
    > the invitation.
    > I am not quite sure what exactly the difference is between the PVE and PVP
    > server. I do not like to be attacked every second. But I will try that soon.
    >
    > Walt

    Hey Walt,

    PVE is your normal RPG game. It's the diablo3 that you've always dreamed
    of, with consensual PVP, lots of items to farm, exciting quests and
    astoundishing places to visit. Big is the world, big is the word.

    PVP changes it all. PVP makes the game no less big, but on top of that
    you have the possibility to attack shamelessly players of the opposite
    faction. There are pros and cons, of course. You'll come to learn that
    this game is pretty well balanced (never read official forums, they are
    full of whiners) when it comes to PVP. Certain classes use certain
    tactics against other classes, and in the end, it takes lots of skill
    for a single level 40 to defeat two level 35 fighting together, or three
    level 30s, etc.

    Anyway, even on a PVP server, you don't have to be involved in any kind
    of PVP action until about level 20 - that's about 20-24 hours of playing
    time. PVP becomes non-consensual when your character enters a "contested
    territory". Both factions share quests there, and even the layout is
    rather well balanced.

    If you choose a server where alliance and horde have about equal
    numbers, then you can really enjoy the pvp aspect of the game.

    I've played on a PVE server for some time during the beta, and kind of
    lost the "story" aspect of the game, and concentrated more on the story
    the community developped. PVP brings more interaction between the
    factions, and somehow more respect.

    ....and *a lot more corpse runs*, of course ;)

    Hi,

    Walt schrieb:
    > I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    > (link?) and why?

    http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php list lots of mods.

    I use cosmosui as a general mod and Lootlink for price-info on items
    I will add a cooldown timer mod as soon as I find a good one.

    > My fist character will be a tauren druid on a PVE EU server.
    Tauren Druid is o.k. for me, but PVE is boring, go to PVP,
    I´m on EU-Blackrock PVP (Blackwood?), good server, always full.

    Walt a écrit :
    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > > "Kai Scholz-Starke" <bergzwerg@arcor.de> wrote:
    > >
    > >> since noone of my fellow guildies found the time to send you this:
    > >
    > > Woot!
    > >
    > >> Come over to the Dark Side!
    > >
    > > Horde is the good side. Don't confuse him.
    > > Horde = Good, Alliance = Bad.
    > > We're a bit evil + ugly, but we're still the nice guys.
    > >
    > >> There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    > >> playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    > >> with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc,
    > >> Horde, Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)
    > >
    > > Or me (Wildcard).
    > >
    > >> Cheers Kai
    > >
    > > Moo, Chris
    >
    > Well, I just started a new cow-druid on sunstrider. (Not it is a) He is lvl5
    > currently. I will message one of you soon :o)
    >
    > Your arguments have convinced me :o)

    Yay mon! For Zul'Jin!

    'Nudder Treehugger joinin' da fun against da shadows of dis friggin'
    Alliance, 'nudder fighter for peace, tranquility, and beer for
    everybody!

    > Noob question: message someone by whisper or mail system?
    >
    > Walt

    2 possibilities

    /who esa
    0 player total
    -> mail esa

    /who esa
    Esa <Cracked Sash Inc> level 53 Troll Priest (Orgrimmar)
    1 player total
    -> /w esa hey

    replace esa with either wildcard, donk, padruthor, tartalin, necrofear,
    kroagg, baruch...

    > PVP brings more interaction between
    > the factions, and somehow more respect.

    Good point!
    So, did I understand it right that PVP does NOT mean I get attacked by every
    player in the game? Even of the same fraction?

    That changes my point of view and I might come over soon :o)

    > ...and *a lot more corpse runs*, of course ;)

    Ok. But one gets used to it.

    "Time is of no importance - only life is" :o)

    Walt

    Hi,

    Walt schrieb:
    > So, did I understand it right that PVP does NOT mean I get attacked by every
    > player in the game? Even of the same fraction?

    you are right. If you play horde and you are in an horde area, an
    ally can not attack you. He can only fight back if you attack him.

    If you are in an ally area, he can attack you anytime.
    If you are on places that are FFA (I don´t know the proper
    english term, in german it is "umkämpftes Gebiet"), allies
    can attack horde and horde can attack allies. These regions
    do start around level 30.

    A player of the Horde can not attack a player of the Horde,
    but can ask you for a duel. If you accept, you can fight
    with him.

    I prefer PvP, because it is also a challenge to play against
    real players instead of the computer.

    "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:

    > Because you might want to loot faster without necessarily taking all the
    > loot on the mob?

    Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (48) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

    "Brian" <brianmcadam@pobox.com> wrote:

    > The only time I want to do that is on boss loot when there's a chance of
    > BoP items. One kill out of a few thousand, I can move the mouse up to the
    > corner.

    When you shift-rightclick a body that contains items that are over the loot
    threshold, there is still a roll/cancel window popping up.
    Independant from this, if you shift-rightclick a body that contains a BOP
    item, there is still a window popping up saying "this item is bind on pickup.
    do you still want to loot it? yes/no".

    There is no reason not to use shift-rightclick except having insufficient
    bag space. I didn't encounter that problem since about level 15, and believe
    me: Picking up everything helps a lot to buy larger bags.

    Chris

    --

    In article <42a58382$0$1153$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
    "Christian Stauffer" <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:

    > "Brian" <brianmcadam@pobox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > The only time I want to do that is on boss loot when there's a chance of
    > > BoP items. One kill out of a few thousand, I can move the mouse up to the
    > > corner.
    >
    > When you shift-rightclick a body that contains items that are over the loot
    > threshold, there is still a roll/cancel window popping up.
    > Independant from this, if you shift-rightclick a body that contains a BOP
    > item, there is still a window popping up saying "this item is bind on pickup.
    > do you still want to loot it? yes/no".
    >
    > There is no reason not to use shift-rightclick except having insufficient
    > bag space. I didn't encounter that problem since about level 15, and believe
    > me: Picking up everything helps a lot to buy larger bags.
    >
    > Chris

    The auto-looting shift-rightclick is awesome.

    I would add that if you do pick up 6c scorpid legs or other cruft that
    has nearly no value at the vendor and is a waste of space, you can then
    just chuck it out of your bags and destroy it, and you are DOING A FAVOR
    to your party members. They now do not need to waste their time
    checking a sparkling corpse for fear they are leaving valuable stuff
    (was that *my* corpse??) or that someone else is leaving valuable stuff
    on purpose (mana pots, etc).

    The only time I've ever seen this system fail was with a broken Horde
    quest in the Barrens requiring a wand, shield, and dagger from the
    Razormanes in the south. The drops on this quest are soulbound, but not
    "unique" or "quest items", so someone could auto-loot a second, third,
    infinite series of daggers, while another party member would have none
    and no chance to get one via trade. The only way to share the
    duplicates was to leave them on the corpses for secondary looting. I
    say this quest was broken because I've never seen any others work in
    this shoddy manner.

    --
    Hemophage (Eonar), Human warrior lvl 60
    Dagobert (Eonar), Human mage lvl 28

    "Kai Scholz-Starke" <bergzwerg@arcor.de> wrote:

    > since noone of my fellow guildies found the time to send you this:

    Woot!

    > Come over to the Dark Side!

    Horde is the good side. Don't confuse him.
    Horde = Good, Alliance = Bad.
    We're a bit evil + ugly, but we're still the nice guys.

    > There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    > playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    > with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc, Horde,
    > Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)

    Or me (Wildcard).

    > Cheers Kai

    Moo, Chris

    --

    "Mahmut Kursun" <mk@tuco.de> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Walt schrieb:
    >> So, did I understand it right that PVP does NOT mean I get attacked by every
    >> player in the game? Even of the same fraction?
    >
    > you are right. If you play horde and you are in an horde area, an
    > ally can not attack you. He can only fight back if you attack him.

    General:
    One can only be attacked when he's PvP flagged.
    The ways to become PvP flagged are:

    PvE Server
    - Enter one of the enemies capitol cities
    - Type /pvp to toggle the flag manually
    - Attack enemy players or NPCs

    PvP Server
    - Enter contested territory
    - Enter territory of the other faction
    - Type /pvp to toggle the flag manually
    - Attack enemy players or NPCs

    When you're in a territory that doesn't force your PvP flag
    to be set, it will go off after a certain time without
    PvP activity (5 minutes, IIRC).

    > If you are in an ally area, he can attack you anytime.
    > If you are on places that are FFA (I don´t know the proper
    > english term, in german it is "umkämpftes Gebiet"), allies
    > can attack horde and horde can attack allies. These regions
    > do start around level 30.

    Hallo :-)
    It's "contested territory". For horde, the highest non-instance horde
    territory I know is southern gold road, which has mobs until level 24
    or 25 IIRC. After that, one is forced to go to contested territory
    for further advancement.

    > I prefer PvP, because it is also a challenge to play against
    > real players instead of the computer.

    And it's the one point that makes the world feel real & life.
    Walt, I'd seriously recommend to think about PvE or PvP. If you want
    PvE and choose a PvP server, you could get frustrated. If you want
    PvP and choose a PvE server, you could get bored. The latter
    happened to me, and it was hard for me to ditch a level 29
    character. So, you better think twice about your choice.

    If you choose a PvP server, we'd be glad to welcome you in our
    Cracked Sash family :o)

    Chris

    --

    Walt wrote:
    > Well, I just started a new cow-druid on sunstrider. (Not it is a) He is lvl5
    > currently. I will message one of you soon :o)
    >
    > Your arguments have convinced me :o)
    >
    > Noob question: message someone by whisper or mail system?
    >
    > Walt

    A hearty /welcome to you, Walt!

    Whispering somebody with /w or /tell is the most common way of 1-to-1
    communication but of course forces both participants to be online.

    Mailing is quite common, too, but costs (little) money. I get most of
    my mails from the auction house, though :-)

    Be sure to whisper one of the sash crackers ASAP to become a member of
    the guild and gain access to the guild chat channel.

    You might also consider checking out http://sunstrider.net . Most of
    us also hang around there.

    /cheer
    --
    Erich
    Kroagg <Cracked Sash Inc> - L31 Orc Warrior - Sunstrider

    "Walt" <wbecke{nospam]@gmx.at> wrote:

    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >> "Kai Scholz-Starke" <bergzwerg@arcor.de> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are lots of agd and agd2 people
    >>> playing on Sunstrider, which is a PvP server. So, if you like to play
    >>> with nice, altoholic people, hook up with the Cracked Sash Inc,
    >>> Horde, Sunstrider :-) Message me (Padruthor) or Babe (Esa)
    >>
    >> Or me (Wildcard).
    >>
    >>> Cheers Kai
    >>
    >> Moo, Chris
    >
    > Well, I just started a new cow-druid on sunstrider. (Not it is a) He is lvl5
    > currently. I will message one of you soon :o)

    Ah great, another active treehugger in our guild. And a german speaking
    one, too :)

    > Your arguments have convinced me :o)

    May the spirit of your ancestors guide your way, for it will be
    a challenging one.

    > Noob question: message someone by whisper or mail system?

    Whisper, usually. If you use the command "/who cracked sash", you
    should see all our online members. Just give a whisper to anyone,
    and explain that you're from agw. Not all of our guild know about
    agw, but if you ask Tom (Esa, Sally), Kai (Padruthor), Saucey
    (Tartalin, Paisley), Stoneskin (Necrofear + about 100 alts),
    Johnny (Baruch), Erich (Kroagg, Rattlehead) or me (Wildcard), you
    should be recognized :o).

    > Walt

    Chris... see you in game!

    --

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > 'Nudder Treehugger joinin' da fun against da shadows of dis friggin'
    > Alliance, 'nudder fighter for peace, tranquility, and beer for
    > everybody!

    A propos "beer": I remember someone promised a free beer for everyone
    who signed the CSI guild charter. Just wanted to point that out (as
    you know, I like pointing out stuff).

    Chris

    --

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Because you might want to loot faster without necessarily taking all
    >> the loot on the mob?
    >

    > Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.

    Well, sometimes I want certain items and not others, most often because
    my bags are pretty full. Other times, I am with a party in which the
    agreed looting practices involve discussing certain kinds of BOE items
    before looting them. Since they are BOE, it's not a disaster if I
    accidentally loot one; I can just give it to whoever needs it. However,
    not looting in the first place it avoids some small awkwardness.

    That said, I don't use QuickLoot, although I have tried. I'm just
    speculating on why other people seem to like it.

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "Brian" <brianmcadam@pobox.com> wrote:
    >
    >> The only time I want to do that is on boss loot when there's a chance of
    >> BoP items. One kill out of a few thousand, I can move the mouse up to
    >> the
    >> corner.
    >

    > When you shift-rightclick a body that contains items that are over the loot
    > threshold, there is still a roll/cancel window popping up.
    > Independant from this, if you shift-rightclick a body that contains a BOP
    > item, there is still a window popping up saying "this item is bind on
    > pickup.
    > do you still want to loot it? yes/no".
    >
    > There is no reason not to use shift-rightclick except having insufficient
    > bag space.

    There are sometimes other reasons, though they might not be reasons that
    would motivate you in particular.

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "mikel" <mikel@evins.net> wrote:
    >> Because you might want to loot faster without necessarily taking all
    >> the loot on the mob?
    >
    > Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.

    Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from picking
    up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to throw away
    a pile of them when my bag fills up.

    Cheers!
    David...

    "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >>
    >> Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.
    >
    > Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from picking
    > up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to throw away
    > a pile of them when my bag fills up.

    It's so amusing, because I pick up everything since forever and I never
    run out of bag space since I have all bag slots filled. That said, 3 of
    my bags are already full when I ride out of town, because of gear sets,
    mana potions/drinks, and stacks of herbs and skins.

    It takes more time to to check every body for stuff i want to pick up
    or not than just taking it. It costs money to not pick up everything.
    I don't know where you have that 6 coppers from. When grinding in
    feralas, the beasts there (41-45) drop vendor trash worth >2s each,
    which is counting up when grinding. And running out of stack space
    is something I still can't imagine. Unless a level 40 is still
    running around with 8 or 10 slot bags (i have 3 14slot bags since
    about level 30, and I know why).

    Chris

    --

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.
    >>

    >> Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >> picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >> throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >

    > It's so amusing, because I pick up everything since forever and I never
    > run out of bag space since I have all bag slots filled. That said, 3 of
    > my bags are already full when I ride out of town, because of gear sets,
    > mana potions/drinks, and stacks of herbs and skins.
    >
    > It takes more time to to check every body for stuff i want to pick up
    > or not than just taking it. It costs money to not pick up everything.
    > I don't know where you have that 6 coppers from. When grinding in
    > feralas, the beasts there (41-45) drop vendor trash worth >2s each,
    > which is counting up when grinding. And running out of stack space
    > is something I still can't imagine. Unless a level 40 is still
    > running around with 8 or 10 slot bags (i have 3 14slot bags since
    > about level 30, and I know why).

    My level 60 mage commonly runs out of bag space when grinding or when in
    high-level instances. His bags are 2 14-slots and the rest 16-slots.

    Perhaps we simply grind differently.

    When my bags are full, I only want to pick up the most valuable items.

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > David Carson wrote:
    >
    >>Christian Stauffer wrote:

    >>>Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.
    >>
    >>Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >>picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >>throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >

    > Hundreds or thousands of such items add up to quite a bit of money. It
    > continues to amaze me that some people don't just pick up everything, and
    > visit a vendor when their bags get full. You're leaving lots of cash on the
    > table by doing it that way, and only receiving a minor convenience in
    > exchange.

    I pick up everything until my bags get full. I visit a vendor as soon
    after that as it is advantageous to do so. Sometimes it is a little
    while before it is advantageous.

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > David Carson wrote:
    >
    >>Christian Stauffer wrote:

    >>>Why should one want to do that? Bag space? Lol.
    >>
    >>Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >>picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >>throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >

    > Hundreds or thousands of such items add up to quite a bit of money. It
    > continues to amaze me that some people don't just pick up everything, and
    > visit a vendor when their bags get full. You're leaving lots of cash on the
    > table by doing it that way, and only receiving a minor convenience in
    > exchange.

    Another point is this: I have at various times done runs where I knew
    from past experience that I could fill my bags with greens and blues,
    and there was therefore no reason to pick up anything of lesser value.

    Christian Stauffer a écrit :
    > "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > 'Nudder Treehugger joinin' da fun against da shadows of dis friggin'
    > > Alliance, 'nudder fighter for peace, tranquility, and beer for
    > > everybody!
    >
    > A propos "beer": I remember someone promised a free beer for everyone
    > who signed the CSI guild charter. Just wanted to point that out (as
    > you know, I like pointing out stuff).

    I remember last time I decided to give beer to everyone. I spent like
    10 gold on beers, burbon and asked you to come drink them.

    ....I had to give up after a while as I had drank everything. That's
    when I decided to go and challenge the alliance in Booty Bay. Drunk PVP
    *is* hard :)

    >>> Walt schrieb:
    >>> I hope I'll get the game tomorrow. So, what add-ons can you recommend
    >>> (link?) and why?

    >>http://www.curse-gaming.com/mo­d.php list lots of mods.

    >>I use cosmosui as a general mod and Lootlink for price-info on items
    >>I will add a cooldown timer mod as soon as I find a good one.

    >http://www.curse-gaming.com/mo­d.php?addid=33

    Newbie ere.... How legal are these mods? I've used mods in mmogs before
    but only if they are 100% kosher and made using standard end user
    functions.

    I've only been playing since Saturday and the slow text fill-in for
    quest text is already starting to annoy me!! Countdown timers, compare
    items etc are standing RPG functions which I'm used to and would really
    like here too.

    Christian Stauffer wrote:
    > "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
    >> Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >> picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >> throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >
    > It's so amusing, because I pick up everything since forever and I never
    > run out of bag space since I have all bag slots filled. That said, 3 of
    > my bags are already full when I ride out of town, because of gear sets,
    > mana potions/drinks, and stacks of herbs and skins.

    Well, I don't know what you're doing then, since every character I have
    ever played has had constant problems with bag space, regardless of
    level, quality of bags, tradeskills, class, or anything else.

    > It takes more time to to check every body for stuff i want to pick up
    > or not than just taking it. It costs money to not pick up everything.
    > I don't know where you have that 6 coppers from. When grinding in
    > feralas, the beasts there (41-45) drop vendor trash worth >2s each,
    > which is counting up when grinding.

    I was talking about this delightful little item:
    http://www.thottbot.com/?i=150

    OK it's actually 8 coppers. And it drops from mobs all the way up to the
    high 50's scorpids in Silithus.

    But wherever you are, there's vendor trash that's worth good bucks and
    trash that isn't. I'd rather not mess around with the stuff that isn't.
    (of course I use a sell price mod so I always know which is which)

    > And running out of stack space
    > is something I still can't imagine. Unless a level 40 is still
    > running around with 8 or 10 slot bags (i have 3 14slot bags since
    > about level 30, and I know why).

    No, my main has 2 16's and 2 14's, my lower level alts are all twinked
    with 12's and 14's.

    Cheers!
    David...

    "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam> wrote:

    > Horde are monsters, every single one of them. Some of the Alliance are odd
    > looking, but none could be called a "monster". 'Nuff said.

    It's not the look that makes one a monster, it's the behaviour. Men are
    monsters, it's the same in WoW as it is in RL. Their arrogance and will to
    destroy and extinguish is stronger than what you can see in any other race
    on earth or azeroth.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (48) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

    "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote

    > Christian Stauffer wrote:
    >> "David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
    >>> Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >>> picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >>> throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >>
    >> It's so amusing, because I pick up everything since forever and I never
    >> run out of bag space since I have all bag slots filled. That said, 3 of
    >> my bags are already full when I ride out of town, because of gear sets,
    >> mana potions/drinks, and stacks of herbs and skins.
    >
    > Well, I don't know what you're doing then, since every character I have
    > ever played has had constant problems with bag space, regardless of
    > level, quality of bags, tradeskills, class, or anything else.

    I never recently grinded for more than an hour (but when I did, I did it
    in areas with skinnable mobs). Maybe that's the key. I never run out of
    bag space since my early 20s.

    >> It takes more time to to check every body for stuff i want to pick up
    >> or not than just taking it. It costs money to not pick up everything.
    >> I don't know where you have that 6 coppers from. When grinding in
    >> feralas, the beasts there (41-45) drop vendor trash worth >2s each,
    >> which is counting up when grinding.
    >
    > I was talking about this delightful little item:
    > http://www.thottbot.com/?i=150

    Nice. How many items with such a low vendor price do you know, so it's
    worth discussing about?

    > But wherever you are, there's vendor trash that's worth good bucks and
    > trash that isn't. I'd rather not mess around with the stuff that isn't.
    > (of course I use a sell price mod so I always know which is which)

    I don't want to think about which items I should pick up or not as long
    as I have enough bag space. And, sorry, I still can't imagine how to
    run out of it without grinding 4 hours in a row.

    Chris

    --

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > David Carson wrote:
    >>Yes, bag space. Why is that so amusing? I'd like to refrain from
    >>picking up the scorpid legs that sell for 6 coppers each, not have to
    >>throw away a pile of them when my bag fills up.
    >
    > Hundreds or thousands of such items add up to quite a bit of money. It
    > continues to amaze me that some people don't just pick up everything, and
    > visit a vendor when their bags get full. You're leaving lots of cash on the
    > table by doing it that way, and only receiving a minor convenience in
    > exchange.

    If I filled every one of my bags entirely full of full stacks of broken
    scorpid legs, 760 legs in my case, that would be worth about 60 silver.

    It's not uncommon to find vendor trash grey weapons worth twice that much.

    There is no way in the world that the value of such trash will ever
    outweigh the time you'll waste making extra trips to the vendor because
    you weren't choosy about your loot. If you want to maximise your income,
    picking up everything is definitely the _wrong_ way to go about it.

    Cheers!
    David...

    "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I remember last time I decided to give beer to everyone. I spent like
    > 10 gold on beers, burbon and asked you to come drink them.

    I must have either missed or forgot this :-(

    >...I had to give up after a while as I had drank everything. That's
    > when I decided to go and challenge the alliance in Booty Bay. Drunk PVP
    > *is* hard :)

    Now imagine the way those poor Bierbuiks have to fight!

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (48) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

World Of Warcraft Warcraft Servers Video Games