Annoying *constant speed only* wheel scroll in some applic..

Hi NG,

I'm trying to get rid of an annoying mouse wheel scroll behaviour only
showing up in some apps like Wordpad and Adobe Acrobat.

If I try to quickly scroll up or down, the window contents only move
rather slow, with a seemingly constant "lines per second" speed.

What is most annoying is that scrolling doesn't stop if I stop turning
the mouse wheel. Instead scrolling continues with that same creeping
speed as long until all wheel notches that are still in memory somewhere
have been cut through.

It's definitely not a problem with the graphics driver since all other
apps, especially MS Word, IExplorer or the like just scroll mighty fine
and perfectly crisp.

Although the problem doesn't quite resemble anything of a "Smooth
Scrolling" behaviour, each and every occurrence of "SmoothScroll" or the
like, in the Registry has been eradicated already. List Box Smooth
Scroll is turned of as well.

But, what else could cause this problem?

Btw, all custom mouse drivers have been removed as well.

Thanks for any help,

David.P

Have you tried swapping out the mouse to see if the problem still exists?

CurtB wrote:
> Have you tried swapping out the mouse to see if the problem still
> exists?

It's the same with three different mice. Anyway, it can't really be a
mouse hardware related problem since only some applications are
affected.

It seems - only for the affected applications - that some hidden
software setting limits scroll speed to a constant ~2 lines per second.
Any wheel scroll faster than this just is slowed down to that value.

Scrolling by using the scrollbar is not affected and works normally.

Thanks again,

David.P

PS: System is WinXP-SP2, PIV2-GHz, 1Gig-RAM, IE6-SP2

There is a Control Panel setting for the number of lines to scroll with the
mouse wheel. What is it set to?

CurtB wrote:
> There is a Control Panel setting for the number of lines to scroll
> with the mouse wheel. What is it set to?

It's set to one (1). But no matter what I set it to, the problem
persists. Interestingly though, if I set it to one PAGE per wheel notch,
the problem goes away. But of course I dont't want to scroll by 1 page
at a time.

Thanks again,

David.P

I've got a workaround you can use. Press the mouse wheel to display the up
and down arrows which turns on continuous scroll. Then move the cursor in
the direction you want to scroll.

CurtB wrote:
> I've got a workaround you can use. Press the mouse wheel to display
> the up and down arrows which turns on continuous scroll. Then move
> the cursor in the direction you want to scroll.

Of course that is one of the many ways to work around - but I'd rather
fix the problem than live with it. Furthermore, middle click scroll does
not work in Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks again,
David.P