Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey all wanted to say thanks for reading my post and giving me some advise! I am really excited about this possibility and have been out of a nice desktop for almost a year and a half and am itching to jump back in. I also am going to be bashed on but really would like to have this built for me due to not being confident enough to build it myself.

Some background, my name is Brett I'm turning 23 August 12th and looking for a sub $1150 system which I am getting a couple hundred help from my parents, the rest is my bank so if we can find a $800 with better bang for my buck than $1150 lets go for it!

Approximate Purchase Date: Not really a set date, in the near future would be nice cause I'm excited and want to get it going as soon as I find the sweet setup.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) I want to spend no more than $1150, lesser the better but I want at least a 3rd gen i5 and a decent sli z77 motherboard(Thinking Asus ASUS P8Z77-V LK)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: The most important goal for this build is run great now and be able to sli or upgrade later. I have a tight budget now and am NOT a big gamer, I want this computer mostly for Diablo 3 and college work. I am not a fan of AMD processors so nothing but the latest from intel will I buy. Not trying to bash or start crap just always had intel, always will. Never had a single processor die ever. Knock on wood haha! I also do not need a huge HD, I used to have a 160gb that was like 1/3rd filled and don't want a SSD either, too expensive and for what I need and use waste of money IMO. I keep my storage low, computer clean and slim with the least amount of saved stuff I can. I use a basic i3 laptop for my music and what not.

Are you buying a monitor: No I have a monitor and plan on gaming 1240x1024 tops, nothing extreme needed.

Parts to Upgrade: Fresh build, reusing Logitech g9 mouse and g15 keyboard along with viewsonic 21inch monitor (1600x1200 max I think)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7 home/basic 64bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I current have been looking at Cyberpower to build the pc I want, the link is here (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EAMTQ) I used to be a serious gamer and had a $3000 dell xps benchmark cruiser back in 2007-2008. I know the basics like upgrading memory, gpu's and replacing drives, cables. I took apart my Dell xps and had no problem putting it back together but that was 3 or so years ago and I lost my "computer touch"

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Phoenix, AZ I would to NOT build this myself I am not 100% confident in my abilities as of now.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: MUST HAVE: 3rd gen i5 and z77 asus board with two max sli slots for possible upgrades later down the road. I do NOT want a power sucking, heat blasting monster like my old Dell XPS was. Like I want no bigger than 600-650W psu maybe 750 if it would be smart for basic sli, no ferrari cards either. I also want a nice quality case such as the Cooler Master HAF-XM Mid-Tower Gaming Case and a nice CPU cooler for extended life and better possible OC's down the road.

Overclocking: As the build is fresh and new, no but maybe in the future if I feel the need. I do want a nice CPU cooler and a flowing air based medium case with mostly 200mm quiet fans.

SLI or Crossfire: I have used both AMD and Nvidia card in the past and have no preference. If there comes a time in the future where I may find the need to double up, yes I want at least two pcix16 slots.

Your Monitor Resolution: I think my monitor is 1600x1200 tops but I see no problem with 1280x1024 being top in some games, would rather lower resolution and crank details up my monitor is nothing fancy.

Additional Comments: I want a nice case, I was looking at the Cooler Master HAF-XM Mid-Tower Gaming Case. Its a sleek looking gaming case with lots of room, plenty of quiet and efficient airflow and isn't super overpriced. I will never use liquid cool but I want the case to look nice, have the biggest, quietest flowing fans for no issues with overlocking or adding a second gpu later. I don't mind spending a bit more on a quality case because I plan on building it up and not starting fresh hopefully for a bit.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I had a $3000 Dell XPS with: Q6600 2.4ghz OC'd to 3.2ghz on air, Geforce 8800gtx clocked out forget exact speeds, 4 gb 800mhz memory, 160gb raptor X and I believe it was a evga 680i SLI mobo. 1000W psu which sucked extreme electric and put extreme heat, no more please! The case also was a really nice open front/back mesh type full tower with two 230mm fans(I think) blowing over the whole setup. My cpu and gpu never broke a sweat under 16 hour wow raids(I broke the addiction thank God) Regardless, the motherboard and psu finally died and I'm not paying like $200 for a dell style psu or motherboard, I looked around and took it to two different shops and both said its gonna be way to much to repair due to the dell only style of case layout, psu cable and what not so I want to start fresh with something more powerful, quieter, smaller, cheaper and more energy and cooling efficient.

Thanks in advance and I hope you guys can find me something that fits my needs for my budget. I also put a link to the Cyberpower I was looking at and am really impressed with for the price but figured I would ask you pro's first!

Thanks again,
Brett
Brossi89@gmail.com

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($122.46 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.65 @ Amazon)
Total: $999.03
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

You could up the CPU cooler to an EVO but really it's such a minimal gain for ~$15 and it's a louder cooler.

Since you said you aren't a very big gamer and you didn't want any high end GPU's you could save money and get a less expensive card, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521, but you're getting a PCIe 3.0 board you might as well get a 3.0 PCIe card.

And if you really think there's a good chance you would OC and SLI I would recommend a 750W PSU like http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Questions: Going from a gaming raptor 10k rpm hd to a more budget friendly wd blue would that be a big slowdown/delay I will notice? Also, how does that motherboard compare to the ASUS P8Z77-V LK? I have no problem cutting the gpu budget for more balanced everyday performance and possible upgrade-ability? I honestly do more internet surfing and college stuff than gaming, only games i really ever play are warcraft 3 and diablo 3 on the new build, maybe crysis 2 and farcry since I played the first one and loved em!

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I want to say the Raptor reads about 40% faster, don't quote me. For gaming it shouldn't make that much of a difference once you are in the game, unless the game itself loads a bunch of different areas.

Personally I would take the Asrock over the LK. Here's a comparison of the 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600315497%20600311010&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-157-293^13-157-293-TS%2C13-131-837^13-131-837-TS More bang for your buck with the Asrock.

And I'd keep the 7850 for games like Crysis 2 and Farcry.

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I did my own build with most of your reccomendations.

Heres a link if your interested, it's about $70 cheaper but I really dont think I need that powerful of a gpu. Let me know what you think, I couldn't steer clear of the Asus motherboard or Corsair PSU though!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bXth

Let me know what you think! :sol:

Heh my first time using CyberPowerPC I made this

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0
Laser Engraving: None
Laser Engraving Message:
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3470 3.20 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-46]
Freebies: FREE! Tribes: Ascend Promo Pack ($60 value)
Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [-14] (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: * [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) [+19]
Freebies: None
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX [+16])
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+60] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Freebies: None
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Power Supply Upgrade: * 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+71]
Hard Drive: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write [-22] (Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+99] (Single Drive)
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
Video Camera: None
Headset: None
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
IEEE1394 Card: None
Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Port: None
Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Ultra Care Option: None
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
Price $928

Some notes:
Like I said since you're quite modest about gaming performance the 7770 will be great for you
The unlocked processors and overclocking fees seem too expensive to add value to any build
You'll not regret getting an SSD +data drive
I overspecced the PSU for upgrades/crossfire and the mobo is suitable for crossfire too - however I suggest you consider if you're ever going to bother with it and maybe you can save some money here

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Looks fine. You shouldn't have any problems playing diablo 3.

For roughly the same price you could get a 6870, which will be slightly better than the 560, but when it comes to blizzard games the 560 wins.

The CPU fan wont be as good as the Hyper 212+, but it will be quieter.

And, personally, I would take the Extreme4 over the p8Z77-V LK. Nothing wrong with ASUS but unless you are looking at top of the line boards then you get much better value from other companies in the budget boards.

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($144.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $918.40
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Switched out the CPU cooler, because its just better for the same price but with a $10 rebate.

And I changed the PSU. The 600W you picked out will work for a single card but you'll want at least 700W+ when you add another card. So for just a bit more money now you wont have to upgrade the PSU.

I left the motherboard you picked because right now, with the rebate, it's cheaper but I'd still get the Extreme4, but it's up to you.

And now that the ASUS drive doesn't come with free shipping anymore I'd get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-CD/DVD%20Burners%20%28RW%20Drives%29-_-Lite-On-_-27106333&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID= It's the same thing just cheaper.

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
What do you guys think about saying screw the old hard drive in general and just getting like a 120GB ssd and using that for everything? Like I said prior, I was a huge wow crackhead and still used like 1/3 of my old 160gb raptor. Now that I might only play like diablo 3 and maybe crysis2 or farcry, I think the SSD would be around $40 more than the 500gb regular hardrive and I would rather cut the capacity down, since I keep my system nice and trimmed and pickup the huge boost in speed?

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Is there anything to worry about when using a SSD for everything? Most people use the split SSD and a old HD but I dont need that much space but read some reviews about SSD's dying randomly?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-agt325sat3120g

what I'm thinking, good size, speed and price. Why pay $70 for a 500gb HD when over half that space is wasted? Turn it smaller and increase performance would fit me better!

I am thinking about this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c1f4

it does not have the 750w psu but it does have a really good reviewed antec green 650w! What do you think?

Edit: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-power-supply-ocz700mx
ip seems like an amazing buy with the $30 mail in rebate, how are ocz psu's though?
im also ready to buy asap, would I need ANYTHING else to complete this system? Screws, cables, anything lol.

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Nothing wrong with using a SSD for everything. It's just right now it's hard to justify the price of large SSD's so people are buying small SSD's for the OS and apps and using larger HDD's for storage/games.

And it's recommended to have 700W+ for 560 SLI so I'd stick to the 750.

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Sounds like I'm almost all set! Do I need anything else or will the motherboard and case come with all the screws and wires etc to get this running? Never built one myself pretty excited but nervous too!

Dakir

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Last question, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c2Px, looks good? For the price of that sweet modular psu I couldn't resist. I also have two slots for two 200mmbetter fans on that case, one more top and one on side, should I snag them as well and will that motherboard have enough sockets for 6the fans? 2 top, one front, one side, one rear and the cpu cooler? Thanks man appreciate your help!

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I personally dont have any experience with OCZ PSU's so maybe someone else can give you some advice on them.

As far as the fans, it shouldn't be necessary. But if you want to go that route the board has 1 fan header for the cpu and 3 for the chassis so you'll have to get a splitter.

G

bah!a 650 watt PSU will be fine that takes into acount crappy PSUs, let use a quality one:
GeForce GTX 560 Ti SLI review
Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system.
Measured power consumption
System in IDLE = 201W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
Difference (GPU load) = 248W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

and doing a little math rounding up to 450 watts (even though the system isn't using all of that)on a 12 volt rail 450/12=37.5 and to keep it from going past 80% of the rated load 37.5/.8=46.875 amps of round it up to 47

XFX Core Edition PRO650W $89.99
$79.99 after mail-in rebate card

because it can
+12V@53A, with PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin (for two cards)

btw, any quality PSU should have 80% of it wattage on the 12 volt rail 650*.8= 520 (more than enough for the 450 watts in the benchmark above.