Solution
@Geis - At current you have five options for getting rid of you set top box while still keeping your HD cable channels:

1) Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E
2) Ceton InfiniTV4 USB
3) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC
5) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

Each of these devices requires a cablecard from your cable provider and in conjunction with a cablecard ready TV Tuner, can replace your set top box. The Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E is the only internal card on the market at the moment, so that was the only one I mentioned.

Any other card/device will require a set top box to do the decryption of any encrypted channel your cable company provides.

-Wolf sends

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Get whichever suits your needs. If you need a portable tuner because you'll want to use it with multiple computers, clearly USB is the way to go. If you desire it to be hidden away inside your computer, get a PCI(e) TV tuner.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I picked up a Kworld PCIE Hybrid TV tuner card a couple of years ago for like 23 Euro. I didn't spend much because I wasn't sure how useful it would be. I made my choice based on compatibility with Windows Media Center (and price). It works great so far no issues at all, and I can also stream live tv to my xbox 360!
The PCIE tuners usually have better tuners built in due to the size available, so they tend to work better. A friend spent around 40 euro on a Toshiba USB tuner which is completely useless.
If you need USB for mobility chek out a few reviews to find one that actually works well!

PCIe tuners are not any more expensive than pci if they have the same function. The centon quad cable card Turner is quite a bit more expensive than an OTA or analog tuner but it does things they absolutely can't and is worth every penny if you have digital cable and want an HTPC system

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Well, I'm extremely new to the business of using my computer to record and stream hd channels, as I have been using a top box (or whatever the cable companies call it) and just want to get rid of it to save money. The PCI express tuners on Tigerdirect are all quite a lot more expensive then the regular pci and usb tuners, and I really don't know what I need, except for the fact that I don't need mobility because I plan to keep the computer in one spot. Also, is there any other software or hardware I will need for streaming/recording all my hd channels through the tv tuner?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Most TV tuner cards come with their own software, so you wont need to download anything else. The thing is that the software they come with usually isn't very good. If your card is Windows Media Center compatible you wont even need the tuner's software, you cold use it with Media Center wich does all the recording streaming etc. Also be sure to pick one with a remote control, it is a definate MUST!

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
One reason would be to possibly have two windows open on two different programs on your pc. An other reason would be that if for instance you had an Media Center Extender (like an xbox) you would be able to watch two different programs simultaneously one on the PC and one on the extender.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@Geis - What will be your video source? Are you cutting cable and settling for Free Over-The-Air (OTA) broadcasts or are you just wanting to save money by getting rid of the cable company's set top box/DVR?

For Free OTA broadcasts only, you just need a TV Tuner Card with an ATSC tuner. Something like the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 or 2250 should do. If you want to keep cable, however and keep all your HD channels, then your only internal option is the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E card.

-Wolf sends

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

I'm looking to get rid of the set top box but keep my hd cable service. I have also seen other cards that also display hd channels, other than the Ceton.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@Geis - At current you have five options for getting rid of you set top box while still keeping your HD cable channels:

1) Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E
2) Ceton InfiniTV4 USB
3) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC
5) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650

Each of these devices requires a cablecard from your cable provider and in conjunction with a cablecard ready TV Tuner, can replace your set top box. The Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E is the only internal card on the market at the moment, so that was the only one I mentioned.

Any other card/device will require a set top box to do the decryption of any encrypted channel your cable company provides.

-Wolf sends

Solution