Sign in with
Your question

Ivy Bridge i5 vs Sandy Bridge i7 on business laptop

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 6:20:43 AM

Hi there, I am buying a new Dell laptop and I already ordered a Latitude E6530 which is a 3rd gen IB i5-3210 proc. Then I see today that I can get about the same price on the 2nd gen i7-2760QM in the same machine.

The i5 has 1600 memory; the i7 has 1333. The i5 has Intel HD4000 graphics; the i7 has discreet Nivida 512MB. i5 is a dual, i7 is quad.

All other specs are the same, including 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM, etc.

I do very heavy software dev, and use CS5 and Lightroom heavily. Always have Skype conference going all day, and I work on video software so I have HD webcam going constantly too, SQL Server, multiple RDPs, countless browser tabs, Office, etc. My core 2 duo Precision is at it knees all day about to catch fire with what all I run on it. So using that sort of stuff, which computer would be better? I don't own any games.

I assume the i7 might be, but at the same time I don't want to have a machine baking hot all the time due to 4 cores and the fan always blasting, and also the i5 will use the small dell power supply and the i7 will use the huge brick so I lean to the i5 for those reasons. Either way it will sit on an aluminum cooling deck with 3 fans under it.

Just not sure which one to get.

Thanks for any advice.

More about : ivy bridge sandy bridge business laptop

July 12, 2012 6:29:45 AM

child1064b said:
Hi there, I am buying a new Dell laptop and I already ordered a Latitude E6530 which is a 3rd gen IB i5-3210 proc. Then I see today that I can get about the same price on the 2nd gen i7-2760QM in the same machine.

The i5 has 1600 memory; the i7 has 1333. The i5 has Intel HD4000 graphics; the i7 has discreet Nivida 512MB. i5 is a dual, i7 is quad.

I do very heavy software dev, and use CS5 and Lightroom heavily. Always have Skype conference going all day, and I work on video software so I have HD webcam going constantly too, SQL Server, multiple RDPs, countless browser tabs, Office, etc. My core 2 duo Precision is at it knees all day about to catch fire with what all I run on it. So using that sort of stuff, which computer would be better? I don't own any games.

I assume the i7 might be, but at the same time I don't want to have a machine baking hot all the time due to 4 cores and the fan always blasting, and also the i5 will use the small dell power supply and the i7 will use the huge brick so I lean to the i5 for those reasons. Either way it will sit on an aluminum cooling deck with 3 fans under it.

Thanks for any advice.
What is a "discreet nivida 512MB?"
Anyways, if you are doing heavy software, I'd go with the i7.. THAT'S IF IT HAS HYPERTHREADING!! Hyperthreading basically helps with multitasking. imagine a traffic booth that has 4 lanes.. this is a processor with no hyperthreading. now imagine a traffic booth with 8 lanes, this is the one with hyperthreading. hyperthreading transfers binary codes (or data) a lot quicker. There might be better answers than mine, so please keep a look out on this post.
July 12, 2012 6:38:18 AM

child1064b said:

Thanks for any advice.
to add on to my post, i did some research on the i7-2760QM, it turns out that it does indeed have hyper-threading, along with four cores, so that is your best bet. The i5-3210M also has hyper-threading, but only two cores. hope i helped some.
Related resources
July 12, 2012 6:38:45 AM

discrete nivida 512MB is a discrete video card, by nvidia, with 512MB memory, available on most Dells. I botched the spelling. NVS 4200 I think.
July 12, 2012 7:01:03 AM

child1064b said:
discrete nivida 512MB is a discrete video card, by nvidia, with 512MB memory, available on most Dells. I botched the spelling. NVS 4200 I think.

O ok so if you are talking about the NVidia NVS 4200M, then it is a good choice for a graphics card because if you need to do power point presentations, you can present them via Multimode DisplayPort in 2560x1600 with 7.1 surround sound. Here is the site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs_techspecs.html
Again, there might be better answers because I, myself, have never even heard of these business laptops. But, I do know a little bit about computers.
July 12, 2012 11:10:09 PM

In case anyone's interested, if you are buying a dell and get stuck with a long wait -- I was just able to cancel my old order, and get a Fast Ship machine that was actually better and less $$. I did go with the Ivy Bridge i5 after all. Thanks.
!