Is it worth overclocking?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012
So this is my build

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/oMCc

I won't be overclocking at the start but I might overclock soon but I'm struggling which cpu heatsink to get because I know evo 12 good ect but I keep hearing bad things about it. Anyway so the cpu is intel i5 3570k, if I leave the stock cooler on it will that be okay? will it go high temps on heavy load.

I want to overclock to 4.0Ghz but cannot find any good heatsink, why I am going to stay at stock and use stock cooler

socialfox

Distinguished
The stock heatsink is perfectly fine for stock clocks. In addition, the hyper 212 evo is a real good cooler, apart from that I see you selected the DH-14 which will allow you to push the limits on overclocking with that high-end cooler. However for 4.0 ghz the Hyper 212 EVO is more than enough, you want that DH-14 around 4.5ghz.

Edit: Just to make my point clear, for 4.0 ghz the Hyper 212 evo is perfectly fine. In addition, for stock clocks the stock heatsink is also fine.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Okay, is there anything I can lower down in price which doesn't ruin the performance... I feel upset spending that amount of money haha!

socialfox

Distinguished
Well what resolution will you be using the computer at? At 1600x900 a 1gb HD 7770 maxes out everything I throw at it. In addition, you can consider going for a traditional hard drive rather than an SSD. 64 gb is barely enough space in my opinion :lol:

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I already have a 1TB hard drive, things I haven't included like power supply ect I already have. I be using SSD as boot drive and maybe 1 or 2 games.

I'll be playing at 1920x1080 and I be playing games from Guild Wars 2 to Battlefield 3. I know Battlefield very graphical intense.

Any thoughts? I would love to play on high but I don't mind turning or lowering the anti analysing or MSAA because I know that puts fps down loads but apart from that I would like to play at 1080p at high setting graphics.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
I would get rid of the SSD honestly.It is something you can always buy later.With the leftover switch the EVGA to a MSI 660 ti power edition,the cooling is much better and quiet and you can overclock it over the EVGA.

socialfox

Distinguished
How about this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/oRBi

I changed the GTX 660TI to a HD 7850, saves you money. In addition I substituted the Hyper 212 for an Enermax ETS-T40 which is a bit better when it comes to overclocking. You could switch back to the Hyper 212 EVO if you don't want to switch to an unfamiliar brand but in Canada, Enermax is a real good brand.

Here is a video with the 3570k and the HD 7850:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK49S9-e9Yc

Here is a review of the Hyper 212 with a comparison to the Enermax cooler:
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_hyper_212_evo_review/4

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Really that ATI card does that FPS on those settings? what is the 7850 matched to nvidia is it gtx 670?

socialfox

Distinguished
I believe the HD 7850 is a below the GTX 660ti, I downgraded it performs reasonably well. If you really want to then go for the HD 7870 which is also below the GTX 660ti but in terms of price/performance then the 7870 wins. You just wanted to save money so I went over for the HD 7850/70 but if you do not want to compromise the video card then GTX 660 ti will do fine.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Okay, is there any other parts that could be lower in price but doesn't ruin the performance?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

So after looking at everything I might get this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-660-twin-frozr-iii-oc-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1033mhz-boost-1098mhz-cores-9

Looking at the benchmarks and price I think it is worth it & I might get a 2nd one next month so in SLI. What do you think? or is there a better gtx 660 brand?

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=FDF7BB82779FFF1!514&app=PowerPoint <<<<<<<< benchmarks

ram1009

Distinguished

Over clocking has evolved into a giant pissing contest. You will spend significant money for a dew FPS that will NOT increase your enjoyment of your games one bit. You will, however be able to tell all your friends how fast your CPU and/or GPU run. Your choice.

socialfox

Distinguished

Well that video card looks promising, it claims 10 years under full load which is an interesting claim. Also I don't think its neccesary to SLI, you should be content with the performance of one card. In addition, a personal preference of mine is to buy a single powerful card rather than crossfiring/sli with 2 cards. Typically the card on the top gets baked by the card below :lol:
Then again I have met very few people who claim they are not affected by the top card having increased temperatures, but most cases it is the top card getting pretty hot due to the hot air rising from the other card.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yes, I'm going to go with this one and maybe add a SLI next month as a xmas present :) where did you hear about the 10 year life span?

also about the card at top getting heated up, I think that down to case airflow.. if you have good intake from the side panel and front than I think it will keep the cards cool.

socialfox

Distinguished
Says so here(note I copied this):

"• Propeller Blade Technology generates 20% more airflow than traditional fan design
• Dual 8 PWM fans with SuperPipe technology provide better heat dissipation.
• 19°C cooler and 12.9dB quieter than reference design!!
• Support GPU/Memory Clock offset and Power limit control.
• Support in-game video recording.
• Support wireless control by android/iOS handheld devices.
• Support built-in DX11 effect test.
• Support 3 displays in full stereoscopic 3D with a single card.
• Support up to 4 displays with a single card.
• >>>>>>>>>>10 years ultra long lifetime (under full load).<<<<<<<<
• Lower temperature and higher efficiency.
• Aluminium core without explosion."

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Well if that true than that is a very good card.. by 10years the GTX 1600 series will be out haha!