Would an intel i5-2500k bottleneck gtx 670?

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
This the season to look at some computer upgrades for myself. I'd just line to run some questions by you guys, because this community has been extremely helpful to me in the past. My current rig is an Intel i5 2500k oc'ed to 3.8 (I'm holding back on the of till I can get my paws on a new Chou cooler) and dual gtx 460 in SLI. I'm eyeballing the new gtx 670 to run with a 460 as dedicated physX. I am just wondering if I'll bottleneck myself going to a 670 with my i5? It has been an amazing processor... Buy sadly I guess you could call it dated right now. Any input it greatly appreciated, and feel free to recommend anything else you think might better suit my needs (*cough* gaming *cough*).
Cheers!

You could run SLI 670's with no issues at all with a 2500K at stock (and SLI 690's with a small OC).

The 2500K is only 5-7% slower at the same clocks as a 3570K, so, yeah, it's still a kick a** CPU and by no means is it outdated (not even close. More like about 3 or 4 more years of excellent life left in it).

And don't even worry about using the 460 for PhysX. It's pointless. The 670 will easily take care of that, so the 460 would just sit there doing nothing.

YES. It will bottleneck it.

In fact you need to wait another 10 - 12 years before Intel can make a CPU fast enough to take advantage of the nVidia GTX 670. Lock that baby up in a vault 'cause in 10 - 12 years it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

In the mean time, buy the following product based on 23rd century technology to entertain yourself until Intel manages to make a useful product for once.

etch-a-sketch-george-vlokis_large.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: