Olympus - C-7070 - XD card - problems

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 13, 2005 1:14:53 PM

I love the Oly C-7070, I hate the XD card. Bought one 512 meg card for it,
just to fill the hole, the 32 meg card is a waste of money.

Problems. I will skip the problems and go directly to reformatting the XD
card on the PC, don't ask for the intervening steps.

Have tried FAT 16, FAT32, now using a hex editor to clear all the bits to
00, hope to make the card behave.

Anyone have insights into the right cluster size, and the right FAT version.

C-7070 works fine with the CF card. Why the hell did they put in that evil
XD card?

--
Rudy Benner

"...The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
exposing the country to greater danger "

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:55:06 PM

In article <11frsmch21glv30@corp.supernews.com>,
"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote:

> I love the Oly C-7070, I hate the XD card. Bought one 512 meg card for it,
> just to fill the hole, the 32 meg card is a waste of money.
>
> Problems. I will skip the problems and go directly to reformatting the XD
> card on the PC, don't ask for the intervening steps.
>
> Have tried FAT 16, FAT32, now using a hex editor to clear all the bits to
> 00, hope to make the card behave.
>
> Anyone have insights into the right cluster size, and the right FAT version.
>
> C-7070 works fine with the CF card. Why the hell did they put in that evil
> XD card?

Format it in the camera, doing it on the PC is asking for trouble.
Bought a C-8080 a couple of weeks ago and sent it back. Still have the
512 MB xD card. Need another one?

Mike
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:44:28 PM

"Mike Murphree" <w4lna@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <11frsmch21glv30@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com> wrote:
>
>> I love the Oly C-7070, I hate the XD card. Bought one 512 meg card for
>> it,
>> just to fill the hole, the 32 meg card is a waste of money.
>>
>> Problems. I will skip the problems and go directly to reformatting the XD
>> card on the PC, don't ask for the intervening steps.
>>
>> Have tried FAT 16, FAT32, now using a hex editor to clear all the bits to
>> 00, hope to make the card behave.
>>
>> Anyone have insights into the right cluster size, and the right FAT
>> version.
>>
>> C-7070 works fine with the CF card. Why the hell did they put in that
>> evil
>> XD card?
>

> Format it in the camera, doing it on the PC is asking for trouble.
> Bought a C-8080 a couple of weeks ago and sent it back. Still have the
> 512 MB xD card. Need another one?
>
> Mike

You are right, works best when done on the camera, but not always. If you
make the mistake of filling the card, it goes nuts. Then the fun begins. I
can see a firmware upgrade coming to cover some of these little gems.

I think I will stick with the CF cards, they seem to be painless.
August 14, 2005 4:33:22 PM

In article <11fscrv8u6fb109@corp.supernews.com>, Rudy Benner says...

> > Format it in the camera, doing it on the PC is asking for trouble.
> > Bought a C-8080 a couple of weeks ago and sent it back. Still have the
> > 512 MB xD card. Need another one?
> >
> > Mike
>
> You are right, works best when done on the camera, but not always. If you
> make the mistake of filling the card, it goes nuts. Then the fun begins. I
> can see a firmware upgrade coming to cover some of these little gems.
>
> I think I will stick with the CF cards, they seem to be painless.

Never heard about this problem, but nobody forces you to use xD cards. I
basically rely on CF cards with my 8080 and have a 128MB Olympus xD card
inside to fill the slot, which I almost never use.
--

Alfred Molon
August 24, 2005 7:58:45 AM

In article <MPG.1d69234bb57d5d4f98accd@news.supernews.com>,
Alfred Molon <alfredREMOVE_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <11fscrv8u6fb109@corp.supernews.com>, Rudy Benner says...
>
> > > Format it in the camera, doing it on the PC is asking for trouble.
> > > Bought a C-8080 a couple of weeks ago and sent it back. Still have the
> > > 512 MB xD card. Need another one?
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > You are right, works best when done on the camera, but not always. If you
> > make the mistake of filling the card, it goes nuts. Then the fun begins. I
> > can see a firmware upgrade coming to cover some of these little gems.
> >
> > I think I will stick with the CF cards, they seem to be painless.
>
> Never heard about this problem, but nobody forces you to use xD cards. I
> basically rely on CF cards with my 8080 and have a 128MB Olympus xD card
> inside to fill the slot, which I almost never use.

In my 8080 I use a 1GB CF card normally but keep a 512MB xD card which I
almost never use except for panoramas. The Panorama function only works
with an Xd card and the auto exposure lock and guide lines, while not
really necessary, are kinda nice. I have never had a problem formating
either card with the camera and usually use a card reader to upload the
data.

--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

Have you done your backup today?
!