Sign in with
Your question

DIAMON RADEON HD 6670 driver crash issues.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2012 1:49:55 PM

Hey,

Recently my old Radeon HD4800 started giving me a hard time with more of the graphically intense games I used to play without issue, giving me random reboots and now finally making far too much noise (sounds like the fan is dying)

I figured maybe the card was on its way out, so I decided to replace it with a budget card so I could get back to gaming. I decided to go with an HD6670 since it was in my budget and seemed to fit the minimum power requirements for my PSU with is only 430watts

The good news is, my computer no longer reboots during my lovely graphically intense games. Now it has a new issue, the screen goes black and then recovers with a popup in windows saying my drivers stopped responding but recovered. It does this fairly frequently sometimes resulting in a hard lock up of the system and even once dropping me to a nice blue screen where the whole system crashed. Yay me!

In an attempt to fix the problem I have done the following:
-Updated my BIOS
-rolled back drivers
-installed new drivers
-updated chipset drivers
-Formatted my harddrive and re-installed Vista
-Upgraded to Windows 7
-Formatted and re-installed Windows 7
-Stress tested the CPU and GPU with various programs and never once received a crash of a driver fail.

At this point i'm at a loss. ASUS' website tells me I should have a 750watt PSU, but that seems extremely high for a rig that's not a huge gaming rig.

Anyone else have some ideas?
May 19, 2012 2:16:51 PM

which psu do you have does it happen with 4800 series because 4800 series gpu required 500 watt psu
m
l
May 19, 2012 5:38:38 PM

I had the same PSU as I have now. Only 430watts.

When I first got the computer (bought it used from a friend) I had zero issues with it and was able to play games on max settings. After about a year though it would randomly give me an error message about power settings having changed and would just shut my computer down.

Once I rebooted though, it would usually be fine for hours and not happen until after I had done other things then tried to play games again.

I switched GPU's partly because of that issue, and partly because the fan had started making a really high pitched whining noise on the graphics card.

I don't think it's a PSU issue though because as I said, when I do stress tests on system stability with kombuster and stuff for my GPU and CPU both maxing out I get no problems. It's only when I start playing Diablo 3 and League of Legends that i've noticed it happening. League isn't a very graphics heavy game so I don't know why it does it.
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 9:55:14 PM

Are you using Open GL on the card?? I have the same card, just got it. I had the same issues too, I would freez up out of nowhere and then I'd see the same message that he driver stopped working but has recovered......only with open GL though. Doesnt seem to happen with Direct 3D. By the way, I am using a Thermaltake 750W PSU in my machine.
m
l
June 12, 2012 10:22:57 PM

Im not sure. How can I make sure I have it disabled so i can find out?
m
l
December 23, 2012 3:55:21 PM

Recently upgraded the PSU, problem still persists. I'm really running out of patience for this. Anybody?
m
l
!