briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Okay, so I am about to purchase several expensive components for my new build and would like to make sure they are going to be compatible. I just purchased the motherboard this morning but the RAM and processor are changeable. Here is my build:

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77 LGA 1155 USB 3.0 mobo

Processor - Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770k LGA 1155

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866 Desktop RAM

I know the processor will fit/function with the mobo (it's the right socket and an Intel mobo) but I am not sure about the RAM. If you need to know other specific parts, I can tell you but I have been told that these are the most finicky parts and are obviously the most necessary parts for compatibility. Thanks in advance!

-Brennan

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey there Brennan, according to the Asus Support page, 32 gb of ram is the maximum and so it will work with your Ram setup assuming this is 4x8gb modules. In addition, might I ask you what this build is for?

Edit: Here is the support page
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_V_Formula/

And it states here for the memory/ram:
"4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)"

socialfox

Distinguished
Okay you've proven that you do need the 3770k and the 32gb of ram. If this was a gaming build I would have told you the 3570k and 8gb of ram will do just nicely :lol:

Edit: want to post the rest of the build? I can check if it's all compatible

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Western Digital 2TB 6.0GB/s SATA Hard Drive

EVGA 4GB 256bit nVidia 670 Superclocked+ Graphics card

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional Soundcard

Corsair 750W 80 plus Gold rated Modular Power Supply

LG BluRay ROM / DvD ROM Optical Drive

Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler

And these are going to have compatibility issues, but they complete my build:

Fractal Design Define XL Full Tower USB 3.0 Case

Arctic 5 Thermal Paste

Cyborg MMO 7 Gaming Keyboard

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Blue Switch

and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

socialfox

Distinguished
Checked the computer case and it will be able to house all those components with ease.
Power supply is more than enough for a single video card, enough for future upgrades just in case.
Nice to see both an SSD and an HDD.
The DH-14 is certainly a really good cooler but I think it lost its tittle of air cooling king to this Phanteks cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709001

Costs less than the DH-14 and will perform a bit better.

Will be back in a bit, need to look around for clearance issues with your current ram and the heatsink. Not exactly a fan of the Vengeance series since it sometimes can cause issues with the heatsink because of the heatsink fins on the ram that extend upwards.

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for the advice and help! I will look into that fan; I just want to be able to overclock without fear. I trust your judgement. I really am thankful for your help. :)

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I am not set on the Vengeance RAM, though. If you can recommend another brand/model of DDR3 RAM I would be more than willing to change. I have only bought 2 parts; the case and motherboard. Everything can be changed for compatibility, etc.

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey there, here is that proof that shows the Phanteks beating the DH-14:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/henry-butt/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-vs-noctua-nh-d14-cpu-cooler-review/5/

Anyways how much is mx-2 in your area? Just a preference but I like MX-2 over Silver 5 since it needs no cure time and in my area a 4g tube of MX-2 is 4.99 always while silver 5 is 19.99

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
They are about the same where I am. About the CPU cooler, I am wondering about the RAM. If I had to use low profile RAM, would I suffer a performance drop or is it simply going to be more compact?

socialfox

Distinguished
From my knowledge low profile ram and that vengeance (or anything similar) really don't have a difference. Personally I think the vengeance's heatsink is for aesthetics, not sure if those extending fins really do serve a significant purpose :lol:

I believe there is a low profile version of the Vengeance ram. At the core it's still a ram module, it only has a heatsink added on to it to make it look different.

Edit: this is what I was talking about
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
What are your recommendations for RAM, aside from my choice? The Dominator Series is too expensive to do 32GB at this point (trying to get the comp by Christmas) but anything $200ish would work.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well here are some alternatives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231561&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231612&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Edit: I gotta get going now (10:40 pm right now here), I'll be back in 6:00 am to check for any updates here and answer anything else if needed. In addition, I would for the G-skill sniper, it's very cheap (price wise)

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I will have my IT friends compare the G.Skill sniper Gaming Series RAM to the Corsair Vengeance RAM and get a second opinion. The only reason for my trepidation is that the ratings on the RAM are more numerous and generally better. But, the G.Skill RAM would be a steal at that price. Thanks!

socialfox

Distinguished
Yep they should all be compatible with each other, heck the power supply is more than enough for a single video card. You could decrease the wattage on the power supply by re-selecting another one but I would just keep the 750 watts for future upgrades and to ensure you have ample room for overclocking. Anyways how much are you buying the power supply for?

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I can personally vouch for Corsair Low Profile RAM. It's fantastic.
Heat spreaders are a marketing scheme and RAM heat is never a problem if your case is kept cool.

Also, just a heads up, don't spend more money on a quad channel (alot of 32GB kits are) since your motherboard only supports dual channel.

Hope this helps! :)

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

briddell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thank you for all of your help. I will definitely be getting the Phantek CPU cooler now, and the G.Skill Sniper/Ripjaws X memory. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it. I fell much more confident buying these expensive parts now; thanks.

- Brennan Riddell