Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
directory whenever I boot?
I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next boot.
--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

You have of course tried:
-Taskbar | Properties | Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab
-scroll down to the last Star Menu items named: System Administrative tools
and making the appropriate choice?

george

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
> folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
> directory whenever I boot?
> I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
> registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next boot.
> --
>
> Norman B. Grover
> Jerusalem, Israel

Dear George,
Yes, I have. The item you refer to toggles 'Administrative Tools' on
and off in the flyout menu accessed via the taskbar 'start' button, my
problem is with Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
\Administrative Tools: nothing I try is able to rid me of this pesky
folder.
Thank you for your help.

In article <Oq8qVu5LFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...

--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

Hide Administrative Tools on the Start Menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance
Name: StartMenuAdminTools
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value: varies

A value of YES means that the Administrative Tools will display in the Start
Menu. A value of NO

means they won't.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MPG.1caba0d2ea1478c6989691@msnews.microsoft.com,
Norman B. Grover <norman@md.huji.ac.il> hunted and pecked:
> Dear George,
> Yes, I have. The item you refer to toggles 'Administrative Tools' on
> and off in the flyout menu accessed via the taskbar 'start' button, my
> problem is with Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
> \Administrative Tools: nothing I try is able to rid me of this pesky
> folder.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> In article <Oq8qVu5LFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> You have of course tried:
>> -Taskbar | Properties | Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced
>> tab
>> -scroll down to the last Star Menu items named: System
>> Administrative tools and making the appropriate choice?
>>
>> george
>>

>> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
>>> Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
>>> folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
>>> directory whenever I boot?
>>> I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
>>> registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the
>>> next boot. --
>>>
>>> Norman B. Grover
>>> Jerusalem, Israel
>>

> --
>
> Norman B. Grover
> Jerusalem, Israel

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

OK, I get you. Read your post not carefully enough. Re-reading makes me
believe you're not so much concerned with it's showing up or not in the
menu, but with the bare existance of the actual folder in the All Users
profile.
Unfortunately I have no experience with it reappearing (or not) if deleted.
Sorry Norman, can't help you with this.

:-((

george

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> Dear George,
> Yes, I have. The item you refer to toggles 'Administrative Tools' on
> and off in the flyout menu accessed via the taskbar 'start' button, my
> problem is with Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
> \Administrative Tools: nothing I try is able to rid me of this pesky
> folder.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> In article <Oq8qVu5LFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> You have of course tried:
>> -Taskbar | Properties | Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab
>> -scroll down to the last Star Menu items named: System Administrative
>> tools
>> and making the appropriate choice?
>>
>> george
>>

>> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
>> > Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
>> > folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
>> > directory whenever I boot?
>> > I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
>> > registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next
>> > boot.
>> > --
>> >
>> > Norman B. Grover
>> > Jerusalem, Israel
>>

> --
>
> Norman B. Grover
> Jerusalem, Israel

kelly

Hi Norman,

1. Right click/Properties/Hidden.

2. Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Do not show hidden files and
folders.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
> folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
> directory whenever I boot?
> I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
> registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next boot.
> --
>
> Norman B. Grover
> Jerusalem, Israel

kelly

Not the start menu, Wes.

--

> Hide Administrative Tools on the Start Menu
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance
> Name: StartMenuAdminTools
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> Value: varies
>
> A value of YES means that the Administrative Tools will display in the
> Start
> Menu. A value of NO
>
> means they won't.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:MPG.1caba0d2ea1478c6989691@msnews.microsoft.com,
> Norman B. Grover <norman@md.huji.ac.il> hunted and pecked:
>> Dear George,
>> Yes, I have. The item you refer to toggles 'Administrative Tools' on
>> and off in the flyout menu accessed via the taskbar 'start' button, my
>> problem is with Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
>> \Administrative Tools: nothing I try is able to rid me of this pesky
>> folder.
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> In article <Oq8qVu5LFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>> You have of course tried:
>>> -Taskbar | Properties | Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced
>>> tab
>>> -scroll down to the last Star Menu items named: System
>>> Administrative tools and making the appropriate choice?
>>>
>>> george
>>>

>>> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message

>> --
>>
>> Norman B. Grover
>> Jerusalem, Israel

???? You lost me, Kelly.

Administrative Tools on the Start Menu - Hide
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm

Hide or Display Administrative Tools Menu

Hide or Display Administrative Tools Menu
http://www.mydesktophelp.com/tips/win27.php

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O8nbalDMFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Not the start menu, Wes.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

>> Hide Administrative Tools on the Start Menu

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance
>> Name: StartMenuAdminTools
>> Data Type: REG_SZ
>> Value: varies
>>
>> A value of YES means that the Administrative Tools will display in
>> the Start
>> Menu. A value of NO
>>
>> means they won't.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:MPG.1caba0d2ea1478c6989691@msnews.microsoft.com,
>> Norman B. Grover <norman@md.huji.ac.il> hunted and pecked:
>>> Dear George,
>>> Yes, I have. The item you refer to toggles 'Administrative Tools' on
>>> and off in the flyout menu accessed via the taskbar 'start' button,
>>> my problem is with Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
>>> Menu\Programs \Administrative Tools: nothing I try is able to rid
>>> me of this pesky folder.
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> In article <Oq8qVu5LFHA.2468@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
>>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says...

>>> --
>>>
>>> Norman B. Grover
>>> Jerusalem, Israel

Gordon

"Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
> folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
> directory whenever I boot?
> I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
> registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next boot.
> --
>
> Norman B. Grover
> Jerusalem, Israel

May I ask what the problem is? Can't be disk space, surely? Why MUST you
delete this folder?

In article <OC7YgDHMFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, gordonbp1
@yahoo.co.uk.invalid says...
> "Norman B. Grover" <norman@md.huji.ac.il> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to prevent Windows (XPPro-SP2) from creating the
> > folder 'Administrative Tools' in the All Users>Start Menu>Programs
> > directory whenever I boot?
> > I have tried deleting it, moving it, renaming it, and hacking every
> > registry key I could find=3Fit just keeps coming back after the next boot.
> > --
> >
> > Norman B. Grover
> > Jerusalem, Israel
>
> May I ask what the problem is? Can't be disk space, surely? Why MUST you
> delete this folder?

Whenever I install stuff, various folders with their links appear in
the three start menus: all users, owner, user. I either discard them or,
more often, rename them and their links and move them elsewhere.
I find it convenient to open these directories now and then to check
what's there; anything new gets taken care of as described above. An extra
icon is just annoying, nothing more.
--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

In article <#ChoUV8LFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, 123WVogel955@comcast.net
says...
> Hide Administrative Tools on the Start Menu
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance
> Name: StartMenuAdminTools
> Data Type: REG_SZ
> Value: varies
>
> A value of YES means that the Administrative Tools will display in the Start
> Menu. A value of NO
>
> means they won't.

Actually, in my registry the Data Type for that Name is REG_DWORD rather
than REG_SZ; its value (in hex) is 0. Thanks for trying.
--

Norman B. Grover
Jerusalem, Israel

kelly

He doesn't want to know how to remove AT from the Start Menu, but from
Windows Explorer.