Unusual Temperature Increases

Cytagasm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi there

I have noticed that some programs will raise the temperature of my SLI GPUs by quite a considerable amount without actually increasing GPU usage.

When I open up Google Chrome my temperatures will shoot from idle of 29 to 40 on GPU1 and 43 on GPU2, and that would be on the Google homepage. Opening more tabs or Youtube videos causes an increase of about 1 degree.

Skype causes an increase in temperature when not in a call, but by a lesser amount than Google Chrome, raising to 35 on GPU1 and 37 on GPU2.

My specs:

i72600k
8gb 1666 Mhz
ASUS Geforce 560ti and MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti in SLI

In games such as Skyrim and Battlefield3 maxed out at 1080p temperatures rarely exceed 60 degrees on either card so I don't think cooling is an issue.

Internet Explorer does not cause any increase. So far, other than games, I haven't found any other programs that cause the temperature to shoot up like Skype or Chrome. What do you think causes this?

I realise it's not an issue as such, but it just seems stupid that the temperature increases when the GPUs load is literally at 0%. And who wants extra heat for nothing in their computer?!

Thanks in advance

Hi

I have a theory, when you open chrome or skype does the GPU's clock increase at all, the cards may be going into a higher power state.

You could use a program called GPU-Z to monitor the core/shader and memory clock to see if they increase when you open chrome or skype.

Cytagasm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I noticed that my core, shader, and memory clock speeds do in fact increase. Thanks for the theory!

Now- why on Earth does it increase that much? Is it necessary?

Furthermore, the increase in clock speeds is the same when Skype opens, but the temperature increase is not the same. Any suggestions? I suppose there's no way to stop this happening is there if it's built into the programs

No problem

Well perhaps chrome uses some flash based web features, like for your most visted sites ETC... so maybe that causes the GPU to increase its clocks, just like when you watch a video or play a game.

If you were really interested you could try contacting skype and chrome's customer/tech support, they may have an answer for you.

I think your right, its most likely just because of the way these programs have been designed.

EDIT: Just a thought but some websites have animated adds that may use your GPU to render, whereas they may be rendered by the CPU in IE...

Cytagasm

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I've just updated to IE 9 and noticed that it now causes my clock speeds to rise to the same level as when using Chrome, but there is no subsequent rise in temperature as a result. They still remain at their idle values

It seems odd that Chrome cand Skype cause a temperature increase when IE doesn't. And with it- more noise! It's annoying because I can't see the sense of it!

I cant see the logic either :pfff:

Maybe someone else will know, doesn't make any sense to me.