Cannot, for the life of me, get this mouse to work!

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have a Logitech G9 that I've been using for the last 3+ years, great mouse, no problems. I just finished a new system and the first mouse I used was a cheapo wireless one made for laptop use so I could navigate the BIOS and whatnot. I then got my main mouse out and plugged it in.

1. It makes a sound when I plug it in and out.
2. The blue sensitivity lights are on.
3. It works when I navigate the MSI BIOS.
4. It doesn't work when I enter log-on screen.

I've already installed SetPoint drivers from the disc, then from the updated version. When I open the software it says no supported devices detected. I've already uninstalled all mouse drivers, rebooted, and plugged it in again.

So now I'm using a 10 year old Logitech Trackball that rolls as smoothly as a snowboard on cobblestone, so I really want to get this G9 up and running.

Yeah... ?

Solution
You could try uninstalling the SetPoint software and deleting any related files.
Then go into device manager, find the mouse, Right Click>Update Driver Software...
See if that'll grab basic mouse drivers.

I read online that some people were having a hardware issue where they banged the mouse on the table
and that seemed to fix the issues. I could see why you would be hesitant to try that, so do it at your own
risk.

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hmm... doesn't seem to have had any effect. I tried the rear USB 2.0 ports (I think there's only two on mine) and the two 2.0 ports in the front. It does however, still make a sound when plugging in and it still lights up. Just no response.

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

Running a clean install of Win 7 Pro x64. I have not tried that, doing so now.

EDIT: Surprise! Nothing -_-

Logitech Drivers or not, shouldn't the mouse at least be recognized and function as a basic mouse?

robozman

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
You could try uninstalling the SetPoint software and deleting any related files.
Then go into device manager, find the mouse, Right Click>Update Driver Software...
See if that'll grab basic mouse drivers.

I read online that some people were having a hardware issue where they banged the mouse on the table
and that seemed to fix the issues. I could see why you would be hesitant to try that, so do it at your own
risk.

Solution

solidsteel

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Okay, here's what I discovered under Device Manager.

>Mice and Other Pointing Devices:
- HID-Compliant Mouse
- HID-Compliant Mouse
- HID-Compliant Mouse

>Other Devices:
- G9 Laser Mouse
- G9 Laser Mouse

robozman

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Sorry to double post, but when you plug the mouse in, check your tray icons for driver installation.
If its there, click that to bring up a window that'll tell you the status of the driver installation.
From experience with my Steel Series Sensi Fnatic Edition, the bearbones mouse drivers can sometimes take a min or two to install.

robozman

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Right click the first G9(The second could be just for the extra buttons, or visa versa, try both) and Update Device Software...
Oh, and do the icons for the G9 have a little yellow thing on them?

robozman

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Alright, no problem. Happy to help.
Gaming mouse software always seems to be a little bit shotty. It's funny how launching as admin seems to fix every problem in the world
on Windows 7.
-Robozman