Tags:
  • New Build
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Surge
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 4:38:06 PM

Hi,

I recently built a new PC. All the parts are in this wishlist.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

When i first booted it up everything seem to run normally. However, when I played a game, the PC was shut down by the ASUS Sabertooth z77's anti power surge program. IT said it detected a power surge from the PSU, Corsair GS800. The next day i wasn't gaming at all and it did the same thing, but when it rebooted one of the 2 graphics cards was no longer detected by the PC. About an hour later it did the same thing and the 2nd graphics card stopped working. However, both card's fans and power lights were still on. Also, I noticed that the VGA Red LED is on.

Is my PSU unstable or insufficent? Are my cards now fried? I don't have another machine to actually test to see if they work or not.

Thanks!

More about : psu problem

July 12, 2012 4:52:32 PM

couldn't go to the link it was asking for login info. how many watts does the PSU have?
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:01:37 PM

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 2 of them
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 2 of them
Pioneer Black Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-207DBKS
Windows 7 64 bit
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 12, 2012 5:06:16 PM

it does sound like a possible PSU problem. it may not of been able to power up both GPU's and i wouldn't think you would need more than an 800W PSU for that setup
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:11:36 PM

Do you think it fried my cards when it surged, because was running 2 of them.... then dropped to one... then none of them of worked
m
l
March 1, 2013 7:05:41 PM

I have the EXACT same problem dude. same PSU as well. i was only rocking 1 card though, a Radeon HD6990. Got that anti surge message. so i turned off anti surge with the z77..and it still happened.this time the PSU,s surge support kicked in. i made a few changes in the bios and it hasnt happened for 4 days now.

First i cleared the CMOS on the Z77.

Then I disabled the Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology in the Bios. Apparently it automatically adjusts the voltage depending on needs. These increases and decreases in the voltage and can freak out the motherboard basically and cause it to shut down.

Finally I switched from Offset mode in the BIOS to manual and set the GPU Manual Voltage(VCORE) to 1.150 V.

Now its been going OK since.

If youre not sure how to perform any of these steps let me know..but most of them are easy enough and just a quick Google away.

Let us know how you get on.
m
l
!