HP Z800 processor upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2012 5:31:27 PM

I'm considering purchasing the following HP Z800 workstation on Craigslist:

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5620 2.4Ghz Quad Core (8 threads Each) 12mb Cache
Memory: 64gb DDR3 ECC Registered Buffered Memory
Hard Drive: 3 Hitachi 15K SAS 300gb Drives
Video Card: Dual Nvidia Quadro 5000 2.5gb DDR5 Cards
Cooling: Dual Watercooled CPU"s (Factory HP Watercooling)

I've been offered the machine without the hard drives for $2800. (Feel free to chime in if you have an opinion about that.)

What I'm curious about is-- does anybody know what the CPU upgrade limitations would be for an HP Z800 such as this? My main concern with it is that (correct me if I'm wrong) the processors are now two generations old. Would I be able to at some point upgrade those to Sandy or Ivy-based Xeons? I don't know how forward thinking they make the mobos.

Thanks!

More about : z800 processor upgrade

a b α HP
a c 83 à CPUs
July 12, 2012 5:39:13 PM

No, you won't be able to upgrade those processors to SB/IB. The motherboard is Socket 1366 and will only accept socket 1366 processors.

-Wolf sends
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:40:32 PM

you would have to replace the motherboard if you wanted to upgrade to a current gen CPU. check the specs at www.hp.com for info on that computer
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2012 5:43:02 PM

el_guapo said:
My main concern with it is that (correct me if I'm wrong) the processors are now two generations old.

You are indeed wrong. They are one generation old. The newer processors were launched about six months ago.

Quote:
Would I be able to at some point upgrade those to Sandy or Ivy-based Xeons? I don't know how forward thinking they make the mobos.

It's not about forward thinking. It's about sockets. The new Sandy Bridge based Xeons use a totally different socket, you will never be able to put one in that system.

Why are you looking at this system anyway? It's incredibly inappropriately built for home use.
m
l
July 12, 2012 5:45:28 PM

Thanks for the replies on that. I suppose that brings up another problem: If I upgrade the mobo at some point, then I would lose the SLI capability for the Quadro 5000s, correct? Or is it still possible, but just not in a certified manner?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli_compatible_syst...

m
l
July 12, 2012 5:48:13 PM

if the motherboard supports SLI then i see no reason why they wouldn't
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2012 5:49:37 PM

I'd really like to know what your intentions for this machine are. If you're intending this to be a gaming rig, you're wasting a huge amount of money.
m
l
July 12, 2012 6:03:26 PM

Quote:
Why are you looking at this system anyway? It's incredibly inappropriately built for home use.

I'm not a PC gamer-- I'm a self-employed animator. I want a machine that will allow me to jump back and forth between complex projects in 3ds max, After Effects, Photoshop etc.

Actually I was going to build my own workstation, but this Z800 popped up and I thought it worth investigating.

If this machine would allow me to render in After Effects while continuing to work on a Max file, then it will pay for itself.
m
l
July 12, 2012 6:06:01 PM

captaincharisma said:
if the motherboard supports SLI then i see no reason why they wouldn't

Thanks for the response. I'm green about SLI, so I wasn't sure if there's a difference between SLI for a cards on the Quadro level vs gaming cards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2012 6:16:38 PM

This actually sounds like a pretty good machine for your purposes. Will the seller let you "test drive" the computer?
-Bruce
Edit: those cards are selling for $1600-$2800.
m
l
July 12, 2012 6:16:58 PM

So my question now is-- should there be much concern about that boatload of HP memory playing nice with a new mobo if I should eventually replace it?
m
l
July 12, 2012 6:27:05 PM

dish_moose said:
This actually sounds like a pretty good machine for your purposes. Will the seller let you "test drive" the computer?
-Bruce

Well that's the trick. There's no OS on the machine right now and the seller is 200 miles from my house. (I would be purchasing it while visiting family in the area.)

So this is a rather huge leap of faith on my part. I've spoken with the seller over the phone and I got the sense that he didn't need a machine of this magnitude. So I did a little sleuthing and found that someone else in the area posted an identical (the same) machine to Craigslist a few weeks ago for $2500(!). So at this point it appears that the seller bought low with the intention of flipping it for profit. No crime there, but again... a leap of faith for me.
m
l
!