Paladins and transmuting

Hi
First question, wondering how much to charge for transmuting mithril into
truesilver, I take it better than doing iron into gold? My skill is only
226.

Also do Paladins ever get any sort of ranged attack, spell? Can they learn
any weapons skills like a bow that are ranged? Just wondering as there was
a raid to tarren mill last nite and for first time I noticed it would of
been good to have some ranged attacks!

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> First question, wondering how much to charge for transmuting mithril into
> truesilver, I take it better than doing iron into gold? My skill is only
> 226.
>
> Also do Paladins ever get any sort of ranged attack, spell? Can they
> learn any weapons skills like a bow that are ranged? Just wondering as
> there was a raid to tarren mill last nite and for first time I noticed it
> would of been good to have some ranged attacks!

With a single exception (from one of your talent trees, and I hear it's
unremarkable), Pallies get no ranged power - it's one of their major weak
points. If you really, really want something to give you a ranged aid, take
up engineering, to learn nets and explosives.

-[Blayde]-

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:12:50 +0100, "Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Also do Paladins ever get any sort of ranged attack, spell?

No.

> Can they learn any weapons skills like a bow that are ranged?

No.

> Just wondering as there was
>a raid to tarren mill last nite and for first time I noticed it would of
>been good to have some ranged attacks!

Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is intentional.
Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged attacks is one of their
very very few weaknesses.

> Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is intentional.
> Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged attacks is one of
their
> very very few weaknesses.

overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they go
down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that only
delay's their dead. :)

In article <0uGoe.111640$To5.6681650@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
robin.van.hoof@telenet.be says...

> > Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is intentional.
> > Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged attacks is one of
> their
> > very very few weaknesses.
>
> overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they go
> down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that only
> delay's their dead. :)

"If they don't use their shield and healing spell." That's like saying,
if a rogue doesn't swing his weapons or vanish he's easy to kill.

/boggle

--
Rob Berryhill

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Fugwump" <fugwump@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> First question, wondering how much to charge for transmuting mithril into
> truesilver, I take it better than doing iron into gold? My skill is only
> 226.
>
> Also do Paladins ever get any sort of ranged attack, spell? Can they
> learn any weapons skills like a bow that are ranged? Just wondering as
> there was a raid to tarren mill last nite and for first time I noticed it
> would of been good to have some ranged attacks!

As far as transmuting goes - the only one that pays well is Thorium ->
arcanite - on my server around 5G a go - 48hr cool down :-(
Ranged attack? Well exorcism is the main one but only works on undead ( and
works well I may say :) ).
Can't EVER use ranged weapons AFAIK. Can use dynamite and rockets tho' :)
If you get there, Consecration is a spell that is - sorta - ranged.
HTH
Tack
AKA :-
Mundain - lev 44 Pali
Shadowsong

Fallout

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

> As far as transmuting goes - the only one that pays well is Thorium ->
> arcanite - on my server around 5G a go - 48hr cool down :-(

On my server Thorium (1g) + Arcane Crystal (15g) = Arcanite (sells 35g+)
Not bad for one combine every 2 days :) I actually like the cooldown time as
it keeps the prices 'bouyant'.

- Fallout

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:18:52 GMT, "Robin Van Hoof"
<robin.van.hoof@telenet.be> scribed into the ether:

>> Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is intentional.
>> Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged attacks is one of
>their
>> very very few weaknesses.
>
>overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they go
>down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that only
>delay's their dead. :)

Any class is weak if the player is too stupid to use their abilities.

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote in message
>> As far as transmuting goes - the only one that pays well is Thorium ->
>> arcanite - on my server around 5G a go - 48hr cool down :-(
>
> On my server Thorium (1g) + Arcane Crystal (15g) = Arcanite (sells 35g+)
> Not bad for one combine every 2 days :) I actually like the cooldown time
> as it keeps the prices 'bouyant'.
>
> - Fallout

Ahh but I meant that I do it for others - they provide the materials and I
push the button :)
Altho' , I would do it for myself IF I could get the materials at that price
too!
Must check out that possibility......

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:50:32 GMT, Matt Frisch wrote:

> This is intentional.
> Paladins are overpowered enough as it is,

Ever seen a paladin in Molten Core? Or solo? Or heck, in any 60er instance?

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

mikel

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:50:32 GMT, Matt Frisch wrote:
>

>>This is intentional.
>>Paladins are overpowered enough as it is,
>

> Ever seen a paladin in Molten Core? Or solo? Or heck, in any 60er instance?

Sure. Lots and lots of times. Went on a 5-man into the Scarlet side of
Stratholme with one, to get him the hammersmith quest.

I've had the pleasure of grouping with pallys in PvP and PvE many times and
almost every time, when the *player* was skilled, they rocked and more than
carried their share of the fights! Just today in STV I supported (heals and
roots and debuffs) a 45 pally as he waded through a group of five 34+
hordies. Yeah, all things are relative and the level difference can make a
big difference but hey I saw this pally being QUITE effective!

I also enjoy grouping with pallys during PvE because of their ability to
tank, heal, and buff. I truly believe that Blizzard did a good job making
the classes very close to equal in strengths and weaknesses. The *only* way
I can see someone saying a pally is overall weak compared to another class
is in solo vs. group play. Even then, though, I'm not sure I'd fully agree.
An oversimplification, perhaps, would be to say they are "warriors who can
heal themselves" but that isn't far from the mark!

And speaking of ranged attacks, I'm betting the reason pallys do not have
ranged attacks is an attempt by Blizzard to stay true to the whole "knight
in shining armor" thing. Honor... and perhaps it is considered dishonorable
(cowardly) for a knight to kill at a distance. They must look their foe in
the eye and risk their lives fighting face to face.
--
Scotter

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:50:32 GMT, Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> This is intentional.
>> Paladins are overpowered enough as it is,
>
> Ever seen a paladin in Molten Core? Or solo? Or heck, in any 60er
> instance?
>
> M.
> --
> ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
> http://www.clamwin.com/

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Robin Van Hoof <robin.van.hoof@telenet.be> stared blankly into space
for a short while before writing:
>> Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is
>> intentional. Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged
>> attacks is one of
> their
>> very very few weaknesses.
>
> overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u
> mean. they go down fast if they don't use their schield and healing
> spell. and that only delay's their dead. :)

That's the whole point. If a Pally doesn't use his skills, then he'll be
like any other class that doesn't use it's skills... quite weak.

--
Doc

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:42:13 -0700, Brian wrote:

> They're moderate in PvE group play, and they freaking *own* in PvE
> solo.

Do they? Against uneads, you go through water like there is no tomorrow.
And the killing speed is rather slow. Most classes will out-damage paladins
at 60 in solo PvE. Druids may be worse off. ;) Give a rogue a try to see
what solo PvE ownage is.

M.
--

Michael Vondung a écrit :
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:34:39 +0200, Babe Bridou wrote:
>
> > The horde will never be able to do that - to perform a charge they need
> > at least to be 2 times bigger in number than the alliance: a warrior and
> > a healer for every paladin.
>
> Yeah, and the Horde has plenty of anti-fear utilities, even racial traits,
> that allow them to take down alliance priests very easily. "The Alliance
> will never be able to do that". Undeads are imbalanced, perhaps more so
> than paladins. :)

I play a horde priest, I enjoy PVP and I can tell you that fear is a
joke in PVP, basically, whatever the race/class you're fighting.

1) it doesn't work on dwarven priests
2) it doesn't work on shielded paladins
3) it doesn't work on warriors
4) it doesn't work on anybody that hasn't been feared in the previous 5
minutes
5) it doesn't work when stunned.
6) it doesn't work when silenced

If you can't survive attacks/kill enemies without fear, you deserve to
die.

Undead Will of the forsaken? bah. Unless you play Warlock, you won't
see the
difference with other races. And if you play Warlock, you have much
more to complain about than will of the forsaken.

> And let's not even talk about Shamans ..........

Shamans are not imbalanced. They are powerful opponents, true, but they
have weaknesses. Much like a shadowmelded sniper, or a
pain-in-the-ass-to-select-manually-because-you're-in-a-raid gnome mage,
or a brutal dwarven rogue.

If you don't know the weakness of a shaman, then try again. Still no
clue? Ok, either they heal, or they nuke. They can't do both all the
way in most fights. Lure them into taking the wrong decision (drain
mana). I've never heard of a single shaman taking down 2 skilled
enemies at the same time: they can't.

> The reason TM is always camped is because there are simply more Alliance
> players than Horde ones.

Wrong, terribly, horribly wrong.

On most PVP servers, the numbers are well-balanced. Fact is, paladin
lines charge and survive long enough for others to follow (12 seconds),
warrior lines charge and die (3 seconds), or survive and drain all the
healers' mana in the process.

wrote:

>Also do Paladins ever get any sort of ranged attack, spell?

Yes. You have to complete the long string of Linken quests. They
begin by the wrecked boat by the pond in Un'Goro. I can't remember
the name of the first quest, but I have the boomerang that's a quest
reward at the end.

Lehi
60 Paladin

"Robin Van Hoof" <robin.van.hoof@telenet.be> wrote:

>> Paladins can only get ranged attacks via trinkets. This is intentional.
>> Paladins are overpowered enough as it is, no ranged attacks is one of
> their
>> very very few weaknesses.
>
> overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they go
> down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that only
> delay's their dead. :)

Have you ever fought a paladin who didn't use shield and a healing spell?
They are weak in 1 vs. 1 PvP, but they ARE overpowered in group PvP, because
they drop in, do a bit of damage, shield, and get out without any possibility
to stop them. Pals are cowards by design.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (48) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (29) on DE Proudmoore [PvE]

Rob Berryhill wrote:
> In article <0uGoe.111640$To5.6681650@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
> robin.van.hoof@telenet.be says...
>>overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they go
>>down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that only
>>delay's their dead. :)
>
> "If they don't use their shield and healing spell." That's like saying,
> if a rogue doesn't swing his weapons or vanish he's easy to kill.
>
> /boggle

Not really - a Paladin's "powerful" abilities are all geared towards
keeping himself alive. Like Robin said, the powerful abilities don't
kill the enemy, they just delay the Paladin's death..

...and if he does somehow get the upper hand, the enemy will just flee,
and he won't be able to stop them.

Cheers!
David...

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> ranged attacks is an attempt by Blizzard to stay true to the whole "knight
> in shining armor" thing. Honor... and perhaps it is considered dishonorable
> (cowardly) for a knight to kill at a distance. They must look their foe in
> the eye and risk their lives fighting face to face.

Exactly. And as soon as mana runs out and health is below 50%, they run like
there is no tomorrow. "Fighting face to face". Big time honor, my ass. You
made my day.

Chris, still rolling on the floor, that was a really good one

--

Brian wrote:

> Except that Paladins are quite weak even *with* all their skills, at least
> in PvP. They're moderate in PvE group play, and they freaking *own* in PvE
> solo.

Paladins are the main advantage of the alliance against the Horde in
raid PVP.

Their strength there is the shield, which allow them to charge the enemy
and remain alive within the enemy lines. They can then either fire up a
consecration that does nothing but interrupts spellcasting and forces
enemy spellcasters to move away instead of attacking. They can also stun
for a freakin long time a single enemy - enough time for the alliance to
advance continuously and steadily take down the enemy.

The horde will never be able to do that - to perform a charge they need
at least to be 2 times bigger in number than the alliance: a warrior and
a healer for every paladin.

This is of course impossible in mundane raid PVP. Paladins are the
reason why Tarren Mill is taken hourly, whereas Southshore is only
besieged daily.

They are also very powerful in group PVP. Being able to charge and stun
without drawing any fire. Basically the mainstay troops of the alliance,
and the reason why on PVP servers people bitch like mad against
paladins: because running away from a paladin in group/raid PVP means
death. So their main weakness is actually very limited in this domain.

Shamans, on the other hand, are really stronger in 1vs1.

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote in message
> Rob Berryhill wrote:
>> In article <0uGoe.111640$To5.6681650@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
>> robin.van.hoof@telenet.be says...
>>>overpowered? have u ever battled a paladin? they are so weak u mean. they
>>>go
>>>down fast if they don't use their schield and healing spell. and that
>>>only
>>>delay's their dead. :)
>>
>> "If they don't use their shield and healing spell." That's like saying,
>> if a rogue doesn't swing his weapons or vanish he's easy to kill.
>>
>> /boggle
>
> Not really - a Paladin's "powerful" abilities are all geared towards
> keeping himself alive. Like Robin said, the powerful abilities don't kill
> the enemy, they just delay the Paladin's death..
>
> ..and if he does somehow get the upper hand, the enemy will just flee, and
> he won't be able to stop them.

Thats what Judgement of Seal of Justice is for :p

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:41:43 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>And speaking of ranged attacks, I'm betting the reason pallys do not have
>ranged attacks is an attempt by Blizzard to stay true to the whole "knight
>in shining armor" thing. Honor... and perhaps it is considered dishonorable
>(cowardly) for a knight to kill at a distance. They must look their foe in
>the eye and risk their lives fighting face to face.

A Holy Pal can use Holy Strike, which is a ranged attack. Pals can
also use a boomerang as a ranged attack. I play solo a lot and find
HS very useful for pulling. If I wasn't primarily a solo player, I
probably wouldn't have gone the holy route, but having a ranged attach
has made my life a lot easier.

> Shamans, on the other hand, are really stronger in 1vs1.

Yeah, as I found out. I decided to try and kill a troll shaman, it was
really close, both low health and low mana, one more swing of my weapon
would of killed him but he got his hit in before me. (we both had 1% or so
of health left, I had used both shields, lay on hands, greater healing
potion) , if I had got more lucky strikes with seal of command, also if I
had a better weapon (26.8dps at lvl 38) he was one level higher than me
though! If only I had drunk my elixor of fortitude to give me 120 more
health I would have got him!

I know, excuses excuses! annoying thing was he camped my body, and had a
tauren with him by then, I died again by running into an Orc stronghold, I
didnt want to give him the pleasure of killing me again, although he
probably got the honour point. After that another troll tried coming after
me and I ended up running and hiding underwater (without waterbreathing) but
I think as I was running my PvP status went off, all this was on a PvE
server, I don't know how you PvP guys cope!

In article <1117962687.24572.0@nnrp-t71-02.news.clara.net>,
"Fallout" <a@d.c> wrote:

> > As far as transmuting goes - the only one that pays well is Thorium ->
> > arcanite - on my server around 5G a go - 48hr cool down :-(
>
> On my server Thorium (1g) + Arcane Crystal (15g) = Arcanite (sells 35g+)
> Not bad for one combine every 2 days :) I actually like the cooldown time as
> it keeps the prices 'bouyant'.
>
> - Fallout

Just 15g for arcane crystals? You're very lucky. On Eonar there are
too many transmuters I think, so the prices are 0.5g thorium + 30g
arcane crystal -> 40g arcanite bar. Still decent, but no 20g per xmute.
:p

--
Hemophage (Eonar), Human warrior lvl 60
Dagobert (Eonar), Human mage lvl 28

Trooper

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Christian Stauffer loved her ferret enough to say...
> "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > ranged attacks is an attempt by Blizzard to stay true to the whole "knight
> > in shining armor" thing. Honor... and perhaps it is considered dishonorable
> > (cowardly) for a knight to kill at a distance. They must look their foe in
> > the eye and risk their lives fighting face to face.
>
> Exactly. And as soon as mana runs out and health is below 50%, they run like
> there is no tomorrow. "Fighting face to face". Big time honor, my ass. You
> made my day.
>
> Chris, still rolling on the floor, that was a really good one

I love fighting Paladins with my Shaman, it's like a cat playing with a
mouse ;) I can hit hard, I can heal too, and I can stop them running.

Rogues on the other hand...

--
Trooper
usenet@trooperlooper.co.uk.invalid (remove the obvious)