Need help trying to figure out how fast a CF card to buy

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 3:57:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can hold 2
raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't find any specs
about the time it takes to transfer images from the camera memory to an
external card (compact flash, microdrive or secure digital). Is internal
memory to external card the limit on how fast I can flush the internal
memory to the external card or is it just the transfer rate of the external
card? I am guessing the latter but I don't know for sure so I thought
someone on one of these two groups could help me.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

More about : figure fast card buy

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:07:57 PM

Dick Snyder wrote:
> I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
> neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can
> hold 2 raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't
> find any specs about the time it takes to transfer images from the
> camera memory to an external card (compact flash, microdrive or
> secure digital). Is internal memory to external card the limit on how
> fast I can flush the internal memory to the external card or is it
> just the transfer rate of the external card? I am guessing the latter
> but I don't know for sure so I thought someone on one of these two
> groups could help me.

Do these help, Dick?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/page11....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa200/page5...

The write rates of today's CF cards (9MB/s or better) usually exceed the
ability of this class of camera.

David
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:07:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Thanks David, Those do help. It looks like the limit is on the camera memory
to CF transfer speed (contrary to what I thought) so I woiuld be wasting
money to get anything super fast as the camera can only transfer at
760KB/sec.

Dick
"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:xVoLe.88172$G8.77184@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Dick Snyder wrote:
>> I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
>> neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can
>> hold 2 raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't
>> find any specs about the time it takes to transfer images from the
>> camera memory to an external card (compact flash, microdrive or
>> secure digital). Is internal memory to external card the limit on how
>> fast I can flush the internal memory to the external card or is it
>> just the transfer rate of the external card? I am guessing the latter
>> but I don't know for sure so I thought someone on one of these two
>> groups could help me.
>
> Do these help, Dick?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/page11....
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa200/page5...
>
> The write rates of today's CF cards (9MB/s or better) usually exceed the
> ability of this class of camera.
>
> David

a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:07:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

David,

I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200 would not
warrant buying a super high performance CF.

Dick

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:xVoLe.88172$G8.77184@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Dick Snyder wrote:
>> I am about to purchase a Konica Minolta DiAMAGE A2 or A200. Of course
>> neither comes with an external storage. The 64mb internal memory can
>> hold 2 raw frames or 3 extra fine JPG frames (8MB image). I can't
>> find any specs about the time it takes to transfer images from the
>> camera memory to an external card (compact flash, microdrive or
>> secure digital). Is internal memory to external card the limit on how
>> fast I can flush the internal memory to the external card or is it
>> just the transfer rate of the external card? I am guessing the latter
>> but I don't know for sure so I thought someone on one of these two
>> groups could help me.
>
> Do these help, Dick?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/page11....
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa200/page5...
>
> The write rates of today's CF cards (9MB/s or better) usually exceed the
> ability of this class of camera.
>
> David

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:48:08 PM

Dick Snyder wrote:
> David,
>
> I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200
> would not warrant buying a super high performance CF.
>
> Dick

But one advantage you may get is in faster transfers between the memory
card and the PC. I would recommend something like the SanDisk Ultra II
with a write speed of 9MB/s and a read speed of 10MB/s (IIRC, so-called
60X and 66X compared to a 1X CD!).

David
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:48:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

That sounds like an excellent recommendation David. I think I will do
exactly that. I can get a better price than going for the SanDisk Extreme.
The SanDisk II 1GB card is just about $85 in the US vs around $120 for the
Extreme.

Thanks.

message news:cvpLe.88204$G8.83702@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Dick Snyder wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200
>> would not warrant buying a super high performance CF.
>>
>> Dick
>
> But one advantage you may get is in faster transfers between the memory
> card and the PC. I would recommend something like the SanDisk Ultra II
> with a write speed of 9MB/s and a read speed of 10MB/s (IIRC, so-called
> 60X and 66X compared to a 1X CD!).
>
> David

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 8:54:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Ooops. I just looked at the Konica Minolta website. They say that the
Sandisk SDCFB series cards are the biggest (and fastest) SanDisk cards that
will work with the KM DiAMAGE A2 or A200 cameras. I don't know how to tell
if their website is just not up to date or if in fact I need to go to these
smaller (and slower I think) cards. Does anyone know a good resource that
will let me find out for sure?

Dick Snyder

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:cvpLe.88204$G8.83702@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Dick Snyder wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200
>> would not warrant buying a super high performance CF.
>>
>> Dick
>
> But one advantage you may get is in faster transfers between the memory
> card and the PC. I would recommend something like the SanDisk Ultra II
> with a write speed of 9MB/s and a read speed of 10MB/s (IIRC, so-called
> 60X and 66X compared to a 1X CD!).
>
> David

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 10:42:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

You can the Ritek 150x for the same price. Try supermediastore.com

"Dick Snyder" <REMOVE_dicksnyder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That sounds like an excellent recommendation David. I think I will do
> exactly that. I can get a better price than going for the SanDisk Extreme.
> The SanDisk II 1GB card is just about $85 in the US vs around $120 for the
> Extreme.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dick
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
> in message news:cvpLe.88204$G8.83702@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Dick Snyder wrote:
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I ended my reply post too soon. I meant to add that even the A200
>>> would not warrant buying a super high performance CF.
>>>
>>> Dick
>>
>> But one advantage you may get is in faster transfers between the memory
>> card and the PC. I would recommend something like the SanDisk Ultra II
>> with a write speed of 9MB/s and a read speed of 10MB/s (IIRC, so-called
>> 60X and 66X compared to a 1X CD!).
>>
>> David

Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 13, 2005 11:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr (More info?)

Elite Pro is $46...
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10384975&adid...

!