Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom ii 965 BE Worrying Stock Temps

Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2012 11:03:04 AM

I recently bought an AMD Phenom ii 965 BE to upgrade one of my old rigs with, and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 to cool it with. But at stock clocks I have been unable to get the idle temps under 50 degrees and the load temps under 75! I have tried various ways of applying thermal paste (I use arctic silver 5) and the coolest temps I have ever managed have been with the stock thermal paste that came pre-applied on the Freezer 13, not the arctic silver 5.

Is the Freezer 13 just not good enough to keep the temps down or could there be some problem with it? And would the stock cooler be able to keep the temps safe at stock speeds? (I don't plan on overclocking just yet)

I would have bought a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO but I know that it wouldn't be able to fit inside the case. So if all else fails, can anyone recommend another relatively inexpensive air cooler that is under 160mm in height that would do the job?

Thanks for any help
November 23, 2012 11:12:14 AM

It's not the cooler..There's something else going on..are you using a pea sized blob of paste in the center then making sure the heatsink is making good contact..I have the freezer 7 pro and freezer 13 pro and both do a great job of cooling..
November 23, 2012 11:17:11 AM

T-Frost said:
It's not the cooler..There's something else going on..are you using a pea sized blob of paste in the center then making sure the heatsink is making good contact..I have the freezer 7 pro and freezer 13 pro and both do a great job of cooling..

Yes, I am only using just over a pea-sized blob of thermal paste and the heat-sink is seated as tightly as possible. By 'just over a pea-sized blob' I mean literally that, because I found that the recommended amount of thermal paste was bringing the temps up by 10 degrees. So I tried removing it and using a bit more, and I was back down to the lowest temps I have managed so far.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 11:20:34 AM

75degC isnt all that worrying under fairly heavy load, it wont kill your cpu, but with that cooler you should be able to keep it cooler than that.

However 50C+ idle seems high. First thing to check is your putting that arctic silver on, as a very thin layer. Some you tube videos show ppl slapping that stuff on as if more is better.

Other than that try the stock fan to see if idle temps are better. If the thermal paste is being applied correctly, then it must be a faulty cooler, or its not being fitted correctly :/ 
November 23, 2012 11:27:20 AM

thin layer is not good..pea sized in the middle is better..spreading it out thin creates air gaps.. So keep doing what you are. Can go watch videoes on it..
what program are you using to monitor temps and is it the newest version?
November 23, 2012 11:36:42 AM

T-Frost said:
thin layer is not good..pea sized in the middle is better..spreading it out thin creates air gaps.. So keep doing what you are. Can go watch videoes on it..
what program are you using to monitor temps and is it the newest version?

I have tried using CoreTemp and HW Monitor, they both give the same temps
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 12:12:54 PM

That's too high for a 965. You shouldn't be passing 63C on max load. 75 is too dangerous for a 965, it can't handle that sort of heat. Check your Vcore. If it's at stock temps, lower it down to about 1.3875 if you can
November 23, 2012 12:33:46 PM

BuddiLuva said:
That's too high for a 965. You shouldn't be passing 63C on max load. 75 is too dangerous for a 965, it can't handle that sort of heat. Check your Vcore. If it's at stock temps, lower it down to about 1.3875 if you can

The temps you are quoting is why I am worried about my temps, though I'd rather not lower the Vcore if it will de-stabilize the CPU. If it doesn't affect stability much then I'll see if it helps the temps. Just out of interest, what sort of temps should I be getting with the Freezer 13 at stock clocks?
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 2:09:58 PM

Well, I don't know much about the Freezer 13 but lets just assume it runs cooler than the stock heatsink that comes with the 965. You shouldn't be reaching 63C with it under full load that's for sure. Lowering Vcore won't hurt since you're on stock clocks. I've managed to get mine to 1.3875 at 3.6Ghz so infact you should be able to lower it a bit more. Try lowering it one step at a time and see if it's stable. Once you reach a point that it isn't stable just go back up 1 step and it should be ok.
November 23, 2012 2:15:05 PM

I found out what the problem was. I realized I was using the wrong length screws (the manual is confusing when it comes to screw length), so when I attached the freezer 13 the bottom of the screws were hitting the ring of plastic that you mount the heat-sink on, tricking me into thinking the screws were tight.

When I used the smaller screws my idle temps went down to about 44 degrees (after the system has warmed up) and my load temps went down to about 62 degrees Celsius when running Prime95 with In-place large FFTs. I might tweak the fan profile a bit to get the idle temps down a bit more as well.

This is also before the Arctic Silver 5 has cured, so the temps should go down a little bit more after a few days. :) 
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 2:33:04 PM

Well there you go. Still consider the Vcore thing though. Could save you those extra few C
!